Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 30 July 2022

Back to Herefordshire - Part 5: Riverside Walk at Leominster

 

Friday was thankfully cooler and B suggested we try and find a riverside walk.  A bit of googling revealed a Riverside Route in Leominster taking in two rivers.




We parked in the car park by the Priory and B went over to check the River Kenwater which runs along one side. Unbelievably he saw yet another Kingfisher and oh joy! I saw the same bird a few minutes later.


We cut out the first part of the route through the town centre and picked it up by Leominster Priory.










I've not seen the Priory House on previous visits.  It is one of the few surviving buildings built by the monks of Leominster Priory. Others include Fobury Chapel and of course the Priory Church itself.  Priory House was probably built in the mid 1100's although there have been alterations over the years.  Some researchers think it was used as an infirmary by the monks to treat the sick. Alternatively it could have provided lodgings for the prior. When the monastery was dissolved in 1539 it was kept as a private residence.  

From 1836 until the early 20th century it was used as a workhouse for the poor. It then became a hospital and then offices for the County Council. Today it is used as a youth hostel.




This area is known as The Tranquil Place.





This archway and sculpture is by Walenty Pytel who lives locally.









At this stage we had to walk across a terrifyingly high railway bridge to cross the railway line (I don't like heights!) before emerging into woodland.




This dragonfly mosaic was made by local people and sadly it now looks rather worn and damaged.





Into Easters Wood





Before retracing our steps through the wood and across a meadow to reach the River Lugg.





From this bridge we saw another Kingfisher!









Walking back along the River Kenwater  I was chuffed to see a Dipper.








Rowan berries 





Worryingly on this large buddleia I saw just one butterfly - a White.





It was a pleasant walk and took about two hours although we did dawdle at times.  

A nice way to end the break - we came home at lunchtime the following day.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.  (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone ever wants to use one I would appreciate an email first thanks)


13 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

Kingfishers and Dippers on one walk! Wow! I'm so glad, RR, that you are making the most of the weather. It has been grey and humid here for the most part, though the sun came out for a while. The conkers are selling rapidly ... it's looking like September.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. Yes it was a thrill I haven't seen either for a few years and now I know where to look as we often park in that car park in Leominster :) I didn't go out when it got really hot as I hate it hot and humid. This was thankfully before the real heat hit!! It does look like September - seasons seem well ahead of themseveles this year and all the greenery going :( I much prefer Spring (and Autumn itself) to Summer!!!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Did not realise there were two rivers, I know you go over on going into the town but not noticed a second. Going over a footbridge can be quite daunting for some one who does not like heights, I'm never keen on using a footpath crossing on a railway, you need to look both ways at the same time

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. River Kenwater not as big as the Lugg. It runs along the side of the big car park by Leominster Priory and you can walk along short stretches of it. I am ok if I can't see over the sides of things like that bridge but this was just netting and I could see railway line way below. I must admit I just literally ran along the middle looking at my feet the whole time!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It looks such a lovely walk. I love the Tranquil area. Can you believe, with all I used to ramble, I have never seen a Kingfisher? Where's Timothy?

Rosie said...

It looks like a lovely walk and how wonderful to see Kingfishers and a Dipper along the way. It is always such a thrill to see the bright,darting blue of a Kingfisher whizz by, even better if they perch for a while I've only ever seen one do that. I like the sculpture on the arch:)

Bovey Belle said...

What an interesting walk, but can imagine your horror at that rope bridge! I don't have a head for heights either - can't even look UP inside a tall castle tower, let alone DOWN! Inherited from my mother, who couldn't even cross a road bridge - thanks mum!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Its amazing what you find hidden away in Leominster! Kingfishers are elusive! Timothy was in the bag shuddering at the footbridge!!

Rosie - Thanks so much. I've only ever seen Kingfishers perched at Brandon Marsh - uusally only a fleeting glimpse as they fly up river. They are surprisingly well camouflaged and really quite tiny. There are other sculptures by Pytel at Birmingham Airport (never managed a picture) and also in Weobley Herefordshire.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Yes it is a horrid thing. I can cope if sides are solid so I can't see down but if you can see through them it is terrifying. Irrational really as you know you can't fall. Thankfully went back via a different route so only had to do it once! I can't go up towers or battlements at castles or churches I am afraid so I miss a lot!!!! Conwy Castle looked terrifying!!!!

Millymollymandy said...

I was very pleased for you seeing the kingfisher, then you mentioned the dipper! Lovely photos too. Looks like the bird was posing nicely for you! :-) Looks like a nice relaxing, cool walk.

I love the archway with the birds made by the local person.

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much. Good to see kingfishers are doing well in the area. Saw another today - different location :) He does some good sculptures I've been trying to find that one for ages!

CherryPie said...

This looks like a really interesting walk with so much to see.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you :)