Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 20 July 2022

Back to Herefordshire: Part 2: Return to Burford House Gardens

 

On the Wednesday we decided to return to Burford House Gardens partly because our last visit was cut short by rain so we didn't see it all and partly because it is so lovely there.

I appreciate many of you will have already seen much of the garden but I have tried to include different photos where I can.  

St Mary's Burford






There were mallard ducklings on one of the pools - so cute. We later saw another party on the river with older ducklings and the numbers were lower so I suspect many are sadly lost to predators.











As mentioned in my last post on the gardens it used to house the National Clematis Collection and there are still many varieties to be seen so I have tried to include more photos of these this time.























Again, as mentioned last time, the point where the brook joins the River Teme is where the three counties of Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire meet.  I still couldn't see any remains of the old castle although I suspect they may be the other side of the brook which you can't seem to access at the moment.

B saw a kingfisher on the river - you guessed it I missed it taking photos!







































Due to the rain we missed this lovely pool on the last visit.














































I am sure this will be the second of many visits and I can't wait to take D and E.


I hope everyone is staying safe, well and cool!!

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.  (I don't particularly rate most of my photos but should anyone ever want to use one I would be grateful for an email first. Thanks).


6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

super flora, and a touch of fauna in a white tee shirt! Certainly worth going back repeatedly through the year.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I will say it again it is a beautiful garden to visit and worth it for Clematis which I really like

Caroline Gill said...

What a beautiful place, RR, and I love the Abraham Lincoln quote. Timothy looks as if he has mastered the art of keeping cool while having fun!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I too think worth visits in different months and seasons. So glad we discovered them :)

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. It is a lovely place to wander :)

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much! Timothy happy to be out and about more now :)

The Quacks of Life said...

I really must visit Burford House Garden... actually I am sure I did before the blog :)

Did Timmy take his jumper off in the heat? ;)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. It is right next to St Mary's. Burford.

Yes he likes his t-shirts in the summer :)