Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 16 May 2022

Trip to Herefordshire - Part 1 - A Local Walk

 

We went to Herefordshire for 4 nights last week arriving Tuesday lunchtime.

The Herefordshire Oak now in leaf 😀


Timothy on his shelf - pleased to be back!




The little garden is looking lovely and the small apple tree is full of blossom.




When I was sorting through some of the items stored at home in the garage I came across a shoebox full of beach pebbles collected on Compton Beach on the Isle of Wight. I have now found a use for them!




View from the side of the static caravan and you can see the oak tree in the distance.



The small garden at the rear.




B is slowly clearing a border under the hawthorn hedge to the left of the caravan.  He grew the Honesty plants from seed collected at home.









The owners of the site keep it looking beautiful - here is one of the many tubs of flowers to be seen.




In the evening we went for a walk round the site looking for a roosting Tawny Owl which an owner had posted on the site's Facebook page.

This is the walled garden - B's friend and ex work colleague by coincidence has a caravan in there.  I didn't realise that was where his caravan was based when I first fell in love with the site.




There are plenty of places to walk on the site itself. To the front is a huge meadow area and down the hill below the caravans is a pool and another large meadow with a wildflower area.






We failed to find the roosting owl although to be fair the exact location wasn't mentioned but this is the owl box where B and D saw a Tawny Owl last year.  There are supposed to be Barn Owls on the site but I haven't seen one.  The House Martins have certainly returned.




Patches of Bluebells




Canada Geese on the pool.




Bluebells, Lady's Smock or Cuckoo flower, Campion, Greater Stitchwort and fading Cowslips. 













Wednesday morning it rained and apart from a click and collect at Morrisons in Leominster we didn't go out.  Although, as the afternoon was mainly sunny, I wish now I had gone in search of a new local church.

Thursday was dry and sunnier so we went to some beautiful new Gardens called Hergest Croft Gardens which I will write about in my next post. I've wanted to visit them ever since we bought the caravan and the reality exceeded my expectations. There was a lot to see and do there and the entrance price was only £7 which I thought reasonable.  


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Thank goodness this year finally sees you able to make more use of your caravan. It looks a lovely site indeed. Your garden comes along nicely now. The distance to the Herefordshire Oak is deceptive! How splendid it looks, as does Timothy.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you yes - the first year it has opened on the due date although last year not so bad - I think around the 12 April. B spends a lot of time on the garden! Yes the oak is not on caravan site but past the field and pool and then half way up a hill on farmland. Zoom lenses come in useful :) Sadly not accessible as no public footpath nearby.

Bovey Belle said...

We viewed a lovely cottage at the other end of that ridge but it was hopelessly small and no outside storage either. I expect that the gardens were lovely. Must make it there myself this summer.

It looks very pretty in the garden of your caravan. A real home from home, and with such lovely views beyond too. I hope you get to that new church next visit.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you so much. Its a nice part of Herefordshire (well in fact all Herefordshire is nice) - there are some lovely houses in the nearby village of Hatfield.

Yes its nice being able to go there and it does now feel like a second home with all the items we have there. I still find it difficult being on a caravan site though - I do like my privacy but it was the only option as we may need rest of savings if and when we move. In fact if I had my way I would move to Herefordshire permanently. I did go in a new church - post to come!!!

CherryPie said...

Your oak tree is looking lush and leafy :-)

I am pleased to say the 'my oak' tree is recovering nicely after it was given a severe short back and sides a few years ago when the owner of the garden where the tree is located panicked after a branch fell.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you and so pleased to hear your oak tree is recovering after a severe chop!