Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 8 May 2022

Another Trip to Herefordshire - Part 3: St John the Baptist, Stokesay and St Mary the Virgin, Eardisland

 

St John the Baptist, Stokesay

The church is Norman with a medieval West Tower.






























The church is in a lovely setting surrounded by hills and next to Stokesay Castle.  

Somewhere, either at the caravan or more likely at home, I have a leaflet listing some of the interesting gravestones.  So I hope we will return once I've found the booklet.

I didn't go in the church this time but if you want to see the interior and read more of the church please see my previous post. St John the Baptist Stokesay


St Mary the Virgin Eardisland

St Mary's is mainly 13th and 14th century and was much restored by Henry Curzon in 1864/5.  The West Tower dated 1760 was built   by Thomas Hooper of Yarpole.  The church has a wide early 13th century nave and it was much extended in the 14th century when the South porch was added.  The chancel was added not long after.

















It was good to see the bird nest boxes on the church wall.










Ballflower decorations :)































By this stage while I meandered round the exterior of the church and looked for the motte (see last post) B and D had completely disappeared so I didn't really have time to go inside the church. But again I went inside on a previous visit so if you would like more information and to see the interior please see here St Mary Eardisland

You will have to scroll down a bit past photos of the villages of Pembridge and Eardisland.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


12 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Do you class these as country parish churches? They look as if they're miles into the country, and I feel the freshness of Spring.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin. Thank you and yes I would class them that way. Stokesay away from anywhere and St Mary's more or less on edge of small vilage. They certainly had the atmosphere of a country parish church :)

CherryPie said...

I have visited the church at Stokesay but I have not visited St Mary's.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. Both churches are interesting :)

Rosie said...

Two interesting churches. We went inside the one at Stokesay, seem to remember some sort of flower festival there, it was a few years ago. Great to see the bird boxes on the church at Erdisland, I hope they are being used:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. One thing I love about churches is that every single one is different. Its good to see these days so many churches encouraging wildlife in the churchyard.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Came across your blog on Codins & cream. You have been to a few churches I have not see yet and though I did visit the one in Pembridge. Eardsland is one I have been thinking about and may get around to it sometime.

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much for leaving a comment. Pembridge is a very interesting church especially with the detached bell tower.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I have been trolling a few of your other blogs, you seem to be a bit of a church crawler like me the The Church Explorer

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Than you. Yes I do like church crawling a lot but not easy when out with the family who do not enjoy visiting them at all! Still I manage as best I can. I will check out your blog later - sounds good :)

Midmarsh John said...

Lovely detailed carvings on the older grave markers. I wonder how much it would cost to have the same type of memorial these days.

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much. You can find so many interesting carvings on old graves if you look around :) Quite a bit I would think!!!!!