Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 8 November 2021

Short Break in Herefordshire - Part 1: Kyre Park

 

Last week D and I spent a couple of nights in Herefordshire. D wanted to go there to see some autumn colours. Initially B was going to come too but then E didn't want to be left on her own and he decided to stay at home especially as she is so nervous about fireworks!

We arrived Wednesday lunchtime and after unpacking and a quick lunch I took D to see nearby Kyre Park.

There is an Antique Centre located in a Tithe Barn. The barn was originally constructed around 1618 by William Harrison of Bromsgrove for Sir Edward Pytts.  As you can see there were alterations in the mid 20th century.




Rear of Tithe Barn and the Medieval Dovecote situated by a sunken lawn possibly once an archery lawn.   Records suggest the dovecote was once situated on an island in a fish pool and was moved to its present location around 1754.  It contains 550 nesting holes and was serviced by a ladder rotating on a central pivot.






Kyre Park was home to the Pytts family from 1756 until the early 20th century.  There was once a medieval deer park here which dated back to 1329.  In the late 18th century Pleasure Grounds were developed with a chain of pools, winding paths and shrubberies.  The park also contains follies, waterfalls, bridges and a summer house.  There is a suggestion that Capability Brown played a part in designing the grounds as he had just finished designing Croome Park for the Earl of Coventry.




There are possible Norman features in both the house and the church of St Mary.  In 1588 the house became a ruin destroyed either by fire or by the Civil War and neglect. Today's house has a surviving medieval West Wing and the rest of the architecture is a mix of Elizabethan, Jacobean and Georgian styles.






At the start of the walk we should have made a small detour over a bridge as I discovered when we got back later and read the information on the park there is a 2000 year old yew tree by the path. Oh well there is always another time! Mental note made to read information on places before I visit!











Water Lily Pool






Cupola







THAT amazing tree! I still have no idea what species it is!












Lots of lovely fallen autumn leaves to scrunch through! The house and St Mary's Church in the background.

















Monet Bridge on River Pool



Instead of returning through the churchyard as B and I did in April we re-traced our steps.








Stinking Iris berries




The above photos were taken by me with the Pansonic Lumix bridge camera.  The photos below were taken by my son with the Canon bridge camera.
























Pumpkins in Hatfield and



sunset from the caravan.




The following day we had a super day out at the atmospheric Wigmore Castle, home of the Mortimers, but I'll write about that as a separate post.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


13 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely house, walk and photos. Beautiful autumn colours too and that amazing tree! Can't help you out with the ID though.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. It is a great place to walk as you see so few people although they do gather round cafe and antique centre not many go in the park! The id of that tree is a mystery!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Lovely photos of Autumn colour! Have you thought to find a member of staff to ask about that tree? Maybe you prefer it to remain a mysterious puzzle? I'd say it's either several trees planted close together, or might be one of those experiments with grafting different stock on one central trunk.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

p.s. had to do a double take on that well, it looks exactly like the well at St Non's just nearby to me!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much and thanks for idea re asking member of staff. No-one much around last week but I am sure we will visit again and I will enquire when I see someone. We wondered about several trees growing together. Fascinating about the well - perhaps it is a copy of yours? Its in the white tower just behind the Medusa carving on the floor.

Rosie said...

Glad you had a lovely few days away. Your walk looks wonderful and the mystery tree is amazing with its bright leaves, I never seen anything like it:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. A bit nerve wracking at times as had never been there before without OH and felt a bit "responsible" for it all plus the driving on lanes and reversing if you meet a tractor!!! Reversing is not my strong point! but so good to get away and see my son enjoying it more.

CherryPie said...

It all looks lovely, a special place to be.

Looking at your comments I know what you mean about driving without your OH. That is me too in certain circumstances. Narrow lanes is one of them! I don't feel confident in all circumstances when I am on my own.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much. It was a good discovery.

The main problem with the lanes is that the Astra we now share is a lot bigger than my old corsa! I was much more confident driving that. The Astra is great for motorways and A roads though.

Caroline Gill said...

Well, RR, it looks as though you were rewarded with autumn colour for D ... and MUCH else besides. You certainly manage to pack so much into your expeditions! I'm not a great fan of fireworks, and am always rather glad once we get past 5th! It used to be fun when I was a Brownie ... toffee apples on sticks, apple bobbing etc. (and I did enjoy indoor fireworks).

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. As son doesn't go very often I wanted to make the best of it. These days I am so fed up with fireworks we get them all year as let off for weddings too. They are SO loud and you worry about wildlife and pets. Some years back we had a rocket come through our bedroom window which set fire to curtains and carpet. Fortunately OH was at the top of the stairs when it happened and was able to deal with it but it doesn't bear thinking about if no-one had been around! Hence the reason for him staying at home!

Millymollymandy said...

Yikes! Just read the bit about the rocket coming into the bedroom, b…..y hell! That’s awful.

Enjoyed this visit, some of it did seem a bit familiar then I realised I probably saw your post from previous visit! Yet another lovely and interesting place. Did you realise quite how many wonderful places to visit that there were when you chose your caravan?!!!

I have a feeling that the multicoloured tree might be a Thuya, two of them, and one has the awful disease that turns their leaves orange/brown, then eventually the tree dies. It looks very decorative though!

The leaves on the ground and some on the tree in one photo are from the American Red Oak - I remember posting them on my blog not knowing what they are but luckily someone letting me know. There are some in a forest near here and I keep watching the weather forecast as I want to go there whilst the leaves are looking their best everywhere at the moment. However cold horrid weather is coming (after it has been mostly awful for weeks anyway). Cross fingers we will get there!

Enjoyed your yummy treats on previous post too, and the wreath is lovely. :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much for your lovely comment :) The rocket incident was frightening if OH hadn't just reached top of stairs as it happened or shudders we had been out I dread to think of possible consequences!

Kyre Park was only discovered this year thanks to a comment on caravan site's FB page which OH saw but I did know how lovely Herefordshire was as my paternal grandparents came from the area and we visited a lot when I was little. Also I've been there quite a few times in recent years.

Thanks so much for suggestion re: conifer of several colours. I will google!!

Shame though if it dies :(

Thanks too re: id of American Red Oak - will tell son.

Weather here mixed some sunny days but also gloomy cloudy and rainy days! Cold and frosty here at home today and the sun is shining!!!