Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 26 April 2021

Trip to Herefordshire - Part 3: Wander round Hereford

 


B's friend had recommended a walk from Hereford Cathedral and along the River Wye giving us directions of the walks and car parks.  The journey should only have taken 35 minutes via the A49 but by Queenswood Arboretum it was closed off and no diversion signs! Had to cut across country using an ancient map as sat nav was left in the caravan!!!  It took ages although we did pass through a village called Marden which has a legend about a mermaid attached to the church. Hopefully, one day I will make a trip there as B refused to stop due to lack of time.


Finally made it to Hereford which I haven't visited since D and I went to see the Mappa Mundi and, although we couldn't find the recommended car parks, we did manage to get a bay at the side of the road in the City Centre where parking was limited to two hours but that was long enough. Hereford has many childhood memories for me as my paternal grandfather was born and lived there as a child and we often used to visit his family.


Sorry photos aren't brilliant B was not happy at me constantly stopping! So I had to snap and shoot!


The town hall in Owen Street built 1902 - 4 by Harry Cheers of Twickenham.





There were lots of little independent shops.








St Peter's Church - partly 12th century although restored in the 19th century.





County War Memorial by C W Barnard 1922. Nine metres high and similar in style to the Eleanor Crosses.








Home of James Laurence. Lord Mayor of Hereford 1627.




Hereford Cathedral - the Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Ethelbert.  Mainly early 12th century but with later additions.  Built mainly of Caper stone from nearby Fawnhope and Old Red Sandstone. The cathedral is open for private prayer but not to tourists until around 17th May I think.












































The Bishop's Palace which contains a 12th century hall - one of the oldest in Britain. It was faced with brick in the 18th century.










Finally, we reached the River Wye with its views of the Cathedral.











We walked for about three quarters of an hour along the river.














Then back into the City Centre.









Back at the cathedral a stone masons' workshop.





Statue of Elgar - I couldn't get a photo without people.  Talking of people it was a bit of a shock to be amongst so many again having hardly been out since last March - at least not to busy places.




The home of Henry Graves Bull MD (1818-1885) a naturalist.





Harley Close and the home of Alfred Watkins (1855-1935). Pioneer photographer, Archaeologist and Inventor, Ley line theorist. He lived here between 1925 and 1935.  I was really pleased to find this house having re-read "The Old Straight Track" fairly recently.










We left the caravan around lunchtime on Friday and drove up  onto Bromyard Downs to see if it was worth visiting to walk in the future. It was!





I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

In other news back at home I have seen Holly Blue, Orange Tip and Speckled Wood in the garden. All new for the year and the blue tit nest now has at least three eggs.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ|330 bridge camera.


13 comments:

Amanda Peters said...

Another lovely place especially walking along the river, great photos.
Good garden ticks for the year.
Amanda xx

The Quacks of Life said...

ah many happy memories ! I really need to go back to Hereford. Adds to list for next year!

The Quacks of Life said...

oh and good news on the Blue Tit

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - thanks so much. Hereford has a lot of interesting things to soo.

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Peter - I so need myself to go into cathedral again and also there is another good church there. Oh to have a family that liked churches!!!

Good news indeed re: Blue Tits hoping that they do better this year than the last few years.

Bovey Belle said...

Glad you enjoyed your day, once you got there! Some lovely photos. I am reading the new Barbara Erskine novel at the moment, The Dream Weavers, and that is set partly in Hereford and along Offa's Dyke. It's a really good read and I shall be sad to finish it. (Marden is mentioned in it too, briefly!)

We liked the look of a house up on Bromyard Downs but it was far too small. I'm glad you found Alfred Watkin's house (looks quite grand) and Elgar of course.

Looking forward to visiting Hereford again when the Cathedral re-opens. We drove past it on Sunday on our way to Malvern Fleamarket .. .

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I enjoyed tagging along and look forward to when you can discover more about the church and the mermaid. I think our churches open up around mid May too. I bet you had fun reading a map, and hope you held it the right way up.
Waving from Wales!

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Gosh that new Barbara Erskine looks good - will check it out for the kindle!

We just happened to take that way back to the car and I spotted the blue plaque - I was chuffed!!!!

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you - Marden mermaid tale is mentioned in a Herefordshire folklore book - I think there was once a mermaid carving at the church but I don't think it is still there. I relied on road signs more than the map - lol!!

Rosie said...

What a lovely day out, it looks wonderful and you tooks some super photos. When we were last there we too were struggling to find the way as the road from Leominster was closed and no diversions in place. Great to find the Watkins house and Elgar on his bike too, I remember visiting the museum and the cathedral and chatting to a couple from Presteign who'd come into the city for the hospital. The walk looks interesting too. Lots of orange tips around the garden at the moment. I love the way they flitter about:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much Rosie. A road closure can be a pain if you don't know an area! I missed the Elgar statue on the last visit and finding Watkins' house was just luck! I've seen a few Orange Tips here but quite a few in the garden back at home.

Pam said...

I've just caught up on your trip (i've stayed away from the pc/laptop where I read the blogs for a few days whilst i've been off work!). I'm so pleased you've been able to visit the caravan finally! It looks like you had a good trip, there seems to be a lot to explore in the area? Maybe the birds had been enjoying the run of the park whilst it's been closed so long, maybe they'll have to get used to people being around again?!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam Thanks so much. I usually have a break from blogger too when on holiday. Yes there is lots to do in Herefordshire - black and white villages, market towns, nature reserves, churches, houses and gardens. It is so rural too and really in the main off the tourist track.

Yes you could be right about birds or they are busy building nests etc.

CherryPie said...

Lovely photos of Hereford. It is a long time ago since my last visit there.

I always get a bit panicky if I am on my own driving in unfamiliar places if I don't have my SatNav to help me out if I get stuck.

Ragged Robin said...

Cherry Pie - Thanks. Yes I usually make sure have satnav if on my own or just my son and me. This time my husband was with me.