Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 21 October 2019

Repton



I bought a Town Trail leaflet in the church at Repton but unfortunately I had spent that long looking round St Wystan's that B and D had already finished their walk around the town so I didn't get chance to see much of it!

The earliest possible sign of settlement at Repton is an Iron Age Hill fort which shows as crop marks on Asken Hill. Christianity arrived at Repton when Peada, son of King Penda of Mercia, married Elfleda who was daughter of King Oswy of Christian Northumberland. She brought with her four priests one being Diuma who became the first Bishop of Mercia.





Next to the church is the Priory Gateway or "The Arch" with a tithe barn to the right.





The thatched cottage on the left dates from around 1700 and the one on the right was built around 1600 as a farmhouse.


*D

*D



The Old Priory near the church is 12th century and became the original Repton School in 1557. The 1938 film "Goodbye Mr Chips" and the 1983 BBC TV version were filmed around this area in the school yard.

*D

*D







The ancient market cross was once the focus of medieval life and there was a Wednesday market and two fairs - The July Fair and Statutes Fair at Michaelmas. It is alleged that a man sold his wife here for a shilling in 1848 after walking her from Burton on Trent with a halter round her waist!!!



*D


Some of my son's photos from his walk around the town.

*D


*D


*D


*D


*D

The Bulls Head was once a posting inn with its own stables.

*D



*D


*D



We had a late lunch at The Dragon at nearby Willington.







We parked next to the entrance to a Derbyshire Wildlife Trust Reserve called Willington Gravel Pits which I have read about in the past and it certainly looks worth a visit at some stage in the future.


*D - Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera
Rest of photos taken by me with the Pansonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


Reference: Repton Town Trail Leaflet


13 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Interesting assortment of architecture styles typifying a town through the centuries. Sorry your walk was shorter than you'd hoped. Lunch looks good, but why do places persist in these pitiful buckets, or cones, of chips? Put them on the plate and give a proper portion. Sorry, bit ranty but it bugs me the prices they charge for posh presentation.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. The church made up for having a shorter walk round the town than planned :)

I do tend to agree with you about posh presentation and buckets which really just hide how few chips for example there are! Gastro pubs can be a bit naughty re: this. It wasn't overly expensive though (sandwiches the cheapest option on menu!) but I have to say I have had sandwiches and chips for cheaper elsewhere!

Rosie said...

Lovely post and photos of the different cottages and houses in the village. I love the market cross and well done to you and 'D' for getting photos without traffic in them, I remember we had to wait a while to get a clear shot. The Dragon looks a nice place to have lunch, I must remember it if we are in that area again:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you so much. I will try and find and re-read your post on Repton. From memory there were 3 pubs all together in Willington - The Dragon, The Rising Sun and The Green Man! I picked the Dragon on the day as I had already checked out the menu in advance! :)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Have found your post - an interesting read :) I see you had to check out who C B Fry was too :) You did well to get a photo of the arch by the church without parked cars!!!

Pam said...

Another lovely place to visit :) I never tire of seeing houses with a thatched roof, they're so very English!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you :) Yes there is something special about house with thatched roofs :) Even better if they are timbered too :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I love seeing all the different types of architecture in this town. I hope you have a great weekend.

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Birding For Pleasure - Thank you and have a good weekend too :)

Rosie said...

I'm glad you found my post on Repton, it seems ages ago now. I've always meant to go back to have a better look at the inside of the church and also to nearby Foremark church where some of my ancestors were baptised and married:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. I do hope you go back one day - you are probably like me and have a huge list of places and churches to revisit and never seem to find the time! :( So interesting to hear about your ancestors in Foremark church. I've been so busy recently that haven't yet had chance to get stuck into my Family History again but hopefully will get back to it in the winter.

Rohrerbot said...

That sandwich certainly looks good for a return visit! Yum!

Ragged Robin said...

Rohrerbot - Thanks Chris and yes sandwich was tasty.