Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 13 October 2019

Packwood House and Gardens





One afternoon last week I met up with fellow blogger from The Quacks of Life
at Packwood House. We were so lucky with the weather - when I arrived it was teeming down with rain but by the time I left the car it had stopped and we had clear blue skies. The rain only returned when we were in the tearoom later.


Packwood House dates from the mid 16th century and is in fact a timber-framed house which has been rendered. The house was remodelled during the 1920's and 1930's by Graham Baron Ash. He added rooms and converted the barn into the Great Hall. The interior of the house is displayed as it would have looked when Baron Ash left in 1941. In a Memorandum of Wishes he gave details of how the rooms should look and asked that fresh flowers should be on display.




We had a look around the house first. I haven't included photos of all the rooms as the interior of Packwood is rather dark and photography a challenge!


The Parlour



The Long Gallery

















The Great Hall














The Drawing Room




Ireton Bathroom with its Delft Tiles
















Then a walk around the gardens starting with the Carolean Garden.


The Sunken Garden was added by Graham Baron Ash. Today it contains a variety of drought tolerant plants











Packwood's Yew Garden allegedly symbolises The Sermon on the Mount" with the "multitude", 12 yew "Apostles" and a path leading round and round an ancient spiral mount to the "master" yew. The story at Packwood of the Sermon on the Mount only dates back to Victorian times. Archives record the original garden as an orchard planted in the 17th century near the much older mount. The huge box hedges and yews around the perimeter were probably planted to enclose the orchard. Most of the "Multitude" trees were planted in the mid 19th century around the orchard. The rest of the fruit trees were removed by Baron Ash's father.

The National Trust has been concerned for some years over the health of the trees. They suffered in the very hot summer of 1976 and also the garden is subject to waterlogging which may worsen what is believed to be phytophtora affecting the trees - a disease which can kill yews. Attempts have been made to improve the drainage of the garden.











Timothy posing with his friend Mr Quacks.




A bench surrounding the master yew on top of the "Mount".






A walk around the lake









A quick look at the new Kitchen Garden created in 2009 and based on an 18th century design and layout of the Kitchen Garden at Packwood.











The visit finished with a very light and tasty scone in the tearoom as the rain hammered down outside!



It was lovely to meet up with you again Pete and thanks so much for the spare Panasonic camera batteries.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.



Reference: Guide Book to Packwood
"Packwood" A Potter Round the Garden published by the National Trust

12 comments:

Glasgow Birder said...

Hi Caroline, i'm back on Blogger. Got fed up with Facebook reducing the quality of my pics.
Hope you're well.

Rosie said...

Such a super post, I always remember those trees from when we visited. I do hope they will be able to keep them from disease. I remember that hot summer of '76, days and days of catching the bus to work without either coat or cardigan:) Both house and gardens look wonderful although the lady in the sedan chair looks a bit spooky! Windows and wall hangings caught my eye also the delft tiles. Great to meet up with a fellow blogger for your visit and scones are such a treat especially if it is raining outside:)

Ragged Robin said...

Glasgow Birder - Thanks so much Dean and I am so pleased you are back on blogger although sorry to hear of Facebook problems. I do owe you an apology as I told ToffeeApple I would set up a Facebook account so I could comment on yours once the problems I was having with my mother's house were sorted out. Sadly, although I am now in a position to sell things are just dragging out as the buyer seems in no rush at all to complete which means I have to make more decisions about the way forward and issues are far from resolved. I look forward to seeing your posts again so much.

Rosie - Thank you so much. Some of the yews at Packwood as you can see from one of the photos have been cut back somewhat so as you say have to hope they can solve the disease problem. Yes I remember weeks of sunshine, drought and heat in 1976 too!!! I agree the sedan chair lady is a trifle unsettling!! They have some great tapestries at Packwood :) It is always lovely to meet up with a fellow blogger :)

Ragged Robin said...

Glasgow Birder - Have tried to find your blog without success - will keep checking your profile in case you have not yet set up a new blog.

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely house and nice to meet up with a fellow blogger to look round it. Fingers x'd that the yew trees have everything in balance for their welfare now.

I loved the view of the house between those clipped trees and such a lovely TIDY vegetable garden. I daren't mention mine in the same breath!

Glasgow Birder said...

Thank you Caroline and you don't need to apologise for anything. If you google glasgownaturepunk.blogspot.com you should find me :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you and yes Packwood is rather lovely :)
I think volunteers work exceedingly hard in that kitchen garden - whatever the time of year it always looks so tidy :) Our patch looks the worst for wear too!!

Glasgow Birder - Thanks so much Dean. Really am pleased you are back on blogger as I so enjoy your posts and beautiful photos. I will add it to my blog list tomorrow so I don't miss any posts.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I love wandering around all these places with you. Without a car, and living where I do, seeing things on line is about as real as it gets these days. At least I can get decent cakes and tea within walking distance! lol Another lovely visit today {I am a bit behind though}

Pam said...

How nice to be able to meet up with a fellow blogger :) and a lovely place to do it too!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Even though I have a car I still love reading other people's blogs showing places I have never or may never visit. You also have the sea and a lovely cathedral nearby :) I seem to be a bit behind on blogge too recently!

Pam - Thank you and it was nice :) I never get fed up of going to Packwood :)

CherryPie said...

Hello Timothy :-)

Last time I visited Packwood we were not able to visit the Yew garden due to water logging after rain...

Ragged Robin said...

Cherry Pie - Thank you and Timothy sends greetings. I would imagine the Yew Garden is probably closed atm due to so much rain :(