Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 19 July 2019

Museum of the Moon



For some time now I have been keen to go and see Museum of the Moon. I would really have liked to have seen it in a cathedral but it had either already visited local ones or was appearing a long way away.

Museum of the Moon (of which there are several) is touring around the UK and further afield. It was created by the UK artist Luke Jerram and shows detailed NASA imagery of the lunar surface. It measures 7 metres in diameter.

I discovered it was appearing last weekend at Birmingham Hippodrome's Summer in Southside Event so we decided to go along and have a look.










Underneath the moon there was a very good dance/acrobat display by two people in a circus/dance group from Leamington Spa - but sadly I failed to get a photo I could post as there were too many people watching.


















We walked past the National Trust's Back to Backs Houses (visits are by guided tour only but I did have a


quick peak!).





There were many events on mainly for families and children.





Some Street Art





10 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What an amazing thing to see! I have always been fascinated by the moon, so to see it like this would be a super thing indeed. I remember staying up all night with my Nanna to watch the first moon landing all those years ago, now as if in a dream.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure I would have enjoyed the exhibit, but I might have got a touch claustrophobic in that press of people.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you and I remember watching the Moon Landing too - it was just incredible :) The Museum of the Moon seems to be appearing in lots of places so it may visit near you perhaps?

David M Gascoigne - Thank you and it was far too busy for me. I am not keen on crowds either!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Me being rubbish missed this in Lincoln

Rosie said...

It looks wonderful, so glad you got to see it. It was at the St George's Hall here last year and we didn't find out about it until it had finished, wish I'd seen it. I love the Back-to-Backs and find them fascinating as one branch of my family tree came from that area and lived in a similiar courtyard of houses not far from there, they all had different jobs and seemed to work from home making small metal objects like screws, nuts and bolts and bits for umbrellas,there was also cork cutting. Only my great great grandfather worked away from the home as a brass founder. Glad to see Timothy braving the crowds:)

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - it is so easy to miss these events :(

Rosie - Thank you. So sorry you missed it at St George's Hall but it is easily done. I only found out it had been at Coventry Cathedral a long time after the event and it was in Ely recently but a long way to go even though I do want to visit one day. There is a museum of the moon website which gives details of venues so might be worth checking as there are several of the moons and they do travel around so may come back to your area.

With the family link to the area it must be so interesting for you to visit the Back to Backs and fascinating that you know so much about their occupations. Several of my ancestors were clay pipe makers in the Broseley area and I would love one day to go to the Broseley Clay Pipeworks Museum which my ancestor sold to the Southorn family. Another ancestor was also the landlord of the New Inn in Broseley. We were very close to the area when we went to Stokesay!

Pam said...

I thought this was the exhibition coming to the Media/Science museum but I checked and we're getting the Earth - Gaia by Luke Jerrom!! Then I realised i've seen the Moon as it was in Leeds a couple of years ago. We saw it at night and it was quite amazing! The street art is fantastic, there are some very talented people!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you - so pleased you have seen it - I would imagine it looks very effective when illuminated :) Earth - Gaia sounds good - I will keep an eye open for that appearing round here. Thank you.

CherryPie said...

The Museum of the Moon looks wonderful. I didn't realise that it was being displayed in Birmingham.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. The Moon or Moons are touring so may pop up anywhere.