Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 2 July 2019

Anglesey Day 4 Tuesday, 18th June - Part 2: Llanfair PG, St Mary's Church and Horatio Nelson statue


After leaving the Hidden Gardens we decided to have a look at the station at Llanfair PG (too hard to type the full name without making a mistake! but you can see it in the photos below).



The village was originally called Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll but it was renamed in the 19th century (it is believed the name was invented by a cobbler from Menai Bridge) when at the beginning of the 1850's a local committee was established to try and encourage travellers and tourists to visit the town. The strategy certainly worked as people, including us!, still flock there to have their photos taken by the name at the railway station.

Llanfair PG was also home to a great Welsh artist Sir Kyffin Williams who lived in the town from 1974 until his death in 2006. He was born in Llangefni on 9th May 1918.






As you can see from the above photo the full version of the name Llanfair PG translates to "St Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of Saint Tysilio of the red cave".




We had actually planned to walk to the Marquess of Angelesey's statue (seem in the zoomed in photo above) as we understood you could climb 115 steps to the top and from my point of view rare blue schist rocks can be seen below the column. But a lady in the shopping centre told me it had been closed for safety reasons (not sure if this included the walk to the statue or just the climb to the top). The statues is 27 metres high and was erected on 18th June 1817 as a tribute to the Marquess, Henry Paget (1768 -1854) who lost a leg at the Battle of Waterloo. The architect was Thomas Harrison of Chester and the the bronze figure by Matthew Noble was erected in 1860.


Instead we decided to visit the statue of Horatio Nelson a navigation guide erected in 1873.

To reach the statue you walk past the church of St Mary and through the churchyard to the shore of the Menai Straits. By the church was another holiday cottage which at one point B had considered booking - I am glad now that I talked him into the house at Penmon as this one was very close to traffic noise from the Britannia Bridge.



St Mary's church is Victorian and it replaced an early medieval church. It is one of only 11 churches on Anglesey dedicated to St Mary and most of these are on the coast. It is believed that the dedication may have a connection to the belief that Mary "Star of the Sea" protected mariners and fishermen. The circular shape of the churchyard suggests that it is an ancient Christian site and may date from the time of the Celtic Saints.

I didn't go inside the church as we didn't have a lot of time.

The Britannia Bridge memorial which commemorates those who died in the original construction of the bridge and during the reconstruction.


Nelson's statue peeking through the trees.

















The statue on the shore - due to the Straits and rocks we couldn't easily get round to take a photo from the front!









The original Britannia Bridge was completed in 1850 when rail travel became popular in the mid 19th century and it was decided a rail link across the Menai Straits was necessary to help MP's travelling to and from Ireland. It was designed by Robert Stephenson. The bridge caught fire in 1970 and the bridge had to be reconstructed. The original towers remain but have been altered to suit the re-design.




*D


*D



It was at this point that I reached in my pocket to get Timothy to pose in a photo and realised in horror that he was no longer there! I thought perhaps I had left him in the car but there was a possibility I had dropped in on the path on the way down or even worse I had lost him somewhere at the station or shopping centre. I retraced my steps rather rapidly searching the ground and then, as I approached the church, I saw a couple bend down and pick something up and start to put the object on a tomb. Goodness only knows what the couple thought as I started shouting and waving "is that a teddy bear you have found? he is mine!" It was Timothy and I have never been so relieved to see him! In future he will travel in my back pack and not a pocket!!!



Back at the cottage I had my piece of lavender and honey cake bought at Plas Cadnant.






The next post will include a trip to Amlwch, Benllech Beach and Red Wharf Bay


*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50 HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


13 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Llanfair PG is definitely a bit of a mouthful, even for the Welsh. Poor Timothy! I am glad he has recovered from his ordeal, it doesn't bear thinking about! {bad pun, I know} I hope he got extra bites of that lavender and honey cake, which looks delicious!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you and lol! A woman in the shopping centre said can you pronounce it yet! Yes Timothy had extra bites of the cake which was very light and tasty! It took me an evening to get over thoughts of what might have been!!!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Now as long as Timothy is OK the world is alright again. that cake looks delicious. I have been away in Scotland at my sister's (so no commenting) and just about to go away again for 2 more weeks! But thanks for all your comments. Well life is short and I am making the most of it

Rosie said...

I remember going in that shopping centre at the side of the station to avoid the heavy rain, I think we also visited a transport museum somewhere along the road near there on one visit. I always feel sad for the people who died whilst working on these great constructions like roads, bridges, tunnels etc. Oh, Timothy! At least the couple were going to leave him to be found and not take him away, you must have been so relieved to find him:)

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Birding For Pleasure - Thank you - Timothy is fine and the cake was so light :) I hope you had a good time in Scotland and enjoy your next holiday :) Don't worry about not being able to comment - I don't when I am away either.

Rosie - Thank you. I got some Portmeirion pottery in the sale at the shopping centre but I did not spot the transport museum. It is sad when people die working on constructions. I was panicking someone may have taken him! There were some teenagers on the path towards the church as we walked in opposite direction and I did think what happens if I dropped him and someone decided to take him away!!! :( I shall be far more careful where I place him when out in the future!!!

Pam said...

Poor Timothy, thank goodness you found him! It's always so impressive when people can pronounce the name, I actually didn't know what it translates to. The church yard looks like a good place to explore. Cake of course always looks good!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you - it was not a good few panic stricken minutes!!! Quite an interesting translation. Sadly, Church island and Saint Tysilio is one place we never had time to go to :( Cake was really good!

Bovey Belle said...

I can only remember the last few syllables of it. Great idea to attract visitors wasn't it?

Poor Timothy must have had a bit of a shock - glad you found him.

That cake sounds amazing . . . Must find a recipe now!

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. I seem to remember when I went as a child I bought a pencil with the name and a note on how to pronounce it!

A huge relief to find Timothy! I was panic stricken!

The cake was lovely - so light. Looking for a recipe a good idea as we have lavender flowering in the garden at the moment!

CherryPie said...

I am so glad you found Timothy. I hope you told him not go off on any more solo adventures.

The cake looks delicious :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. I was totally horrified and the relief when I saw that couple pick him up!!!! Yes he is under firm instructions not to disappear again and he won't be walking round in my pocket anymore but in the backpack which does not please him!!

Caroline Gill said...

Well, Timothy: what a close shave! But I'm thankful the tale has a happy ending, and that cake looks so delicious...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you - Timothy has got over his adventures - I haven't!!!!