Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 8 July 2019

Anglesey - Day 7 Friday 21st June - Beaumaris Part 3: Beaumaris Castle



After another late lunch of chips and sandwiches after the Puffin Island Cruise, D and I went to explore the castle while B and E continued exploring the town and went for a drink.






Beaumaris Castle in the care of CADW has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986.

The castle was the last to be built in a network of fortresses constructed in Wales on the orders of King Edward I (1272-1307). Building at Beaumaris began in 1295.

Following two wars against Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, Prince of Wales (d1282) Edward I had already constructed in 1277 castles at Aberystwyth, Builth, Flint and Rhuddlan and in 1283 Caernarfon, Conwy and Harlech. If you would like to see my post a few years ago on Harlech Castle please see here . Conwy Castle we will visit in the next post.

Following a Welsh revolt in 1294/5 Edward I decided to build one last castle on Anglesey with a location next to the Menai Straits in the SE of the island on flat low-lying land.

James of St George (d ~1308) who was King Edward's Master of Works designed Beaumaris as a fortress of near-perfect concentric walls. Outside the two lines of curtain walls and towers there was a water-filled moat which had a dock so the castle could receive supplies from the sea if under siege on land. However, when work on the construction started to cease in the 1320's much was left unfinished due to changing politics and a shortage of money. In the inner ward six towers did not have the upper storeys completed and accommodation was half the size it was planned to be.

Nevertheless, until the mid 17th century the castle was used as a centre of government, sometimes as a fortress during war, and as a prison. The castle suffered deliberate damage after the Civil War and the use of it then declined. In 1925 Sir Richard Bulkeley put the ruins into state care.



The castle was exceedingly quiet and, in fact, D and I had the whole place to ourselves until another couple arrived as we were leaving.








The moat was restored in the 1920's and the original moat was wider and provided the outer line of defence.







*D





Here we can see the dock which once linked to the Straits by a short canal and it would have allowed supplies to be brought to the castle by sea. The wall behind is Gunner's Walk where defenders would have protected the moat and dock.





In 1343 the outer gate was described as "the gate beside the sea". It was defended by a drawbridge and timber gates and crossbow loops can be seen in the walls and tower.




In this photo you can see above the archway the corbelled slots from which stones could be dropped if anyone attacked the gates.





The outer ward with the outer curtain wall on one side and the inner curtain wall on the other. The outer curtain wall was built in 2 phases and contains 12 towers and two gates. There were 300 loops to allow crossbowmen to fire at the enemy.



















D did the wall walk and here are some of his photos.


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


The Northern Gatehouse was the grandest part of the castle but the towers here did not reach the planned 3 storeys.














The inner ward contained with the inner curtain walls.
















Again D did the wall walk with stunning views of the castle and surrounding area.


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


The master mason depicts James of St George and was sculpted by Sebastien Boyesen in 2016.














I would certainly like to visit the castle again and it was only after when reading the guidebook that I realised I had missed the chapel and also the mural passages which are within the thickness of the inner curtain wall. There is a lot to see and next time I would allow more than the hour and a half we spent there.


*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

Reference: CADW guide "Discover Beaumaris Castle"



12 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Such an imposing building. First, I am always in awe with the really old castles and cathedrals across northern Europe, how they were really built to last, and second, imposing as they are today, I think how much more so they must have seemed back in their day, surrounded by nothing more than a small settlement.
It must have been grand to have the place to yourself too.
Timothy is looking quite the knight in shining armour there, isn't he, wearing his scarf as a sash, a rainbow of delight!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much and I so agree that old castles and cathedrals are awesome. The building and other skills of the medieval craftsman are just amazing when you consider they had so little in the way of technology/tools. The CADW guide is very interesting explaining how Beaumaris developed around the castle (after Edward I got nearby Llanfaes depopulated!!).

My son has recommended a book called Pillars of the Earth to me which is about the building of one of the great cathedrals.

Yes it was wonderful to find the place so very quiet as it is so much easier to soak in the history and atmosphere of a place when it is like that! Conwy Castle the next day was heaving with people :(

I love your description of Timothy and he is chuffed to bits :)

Pam said...

Still catching up on your trip, I got a little behind with the posts though!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - thank you and don't worry. I know how hard it is to keep up when people post every day. Even though I get to relive the holiday I shall be glad when I have finished them!! Then have 3 posts to catch up on days out since coming back!

Rosie said...

I too am catching up on your posts, I seem to be one behind at the moment, I still have several holiday posts to write and also a couple on places visited this week, I expect I'll get there eventually. The castle looks wonderful and how super to have it to yourselves for most of the visit. The views from the castle walls are amazing:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you and as mentioned to Pam I know how hard it is to keep up with daily blog posts and mine are rather long!!

I can empathize about trying to do holiday blog posts - I've visited 3 places since coming back too! I am afraid I am not reading as much as usual at the moment especially with Wimbledon on tv!!!!

I look forward to your posts when you can do them :)

Amanda Peters said...

Great place , what Rustic Pumpkin said it also amazes me how well they built these buildings. So pleased you got to see it.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters- Thank you and yes I agree with you and Rustic Pumpkin the skill of the old masons etc. is just unbelievable. I couldn't believe they built Conwy Castle in 4 years!!

CherryPie said...

This post brings back happy memories. It is many many years since I visited this castle.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thankyou - I am so glad it brought back happy memories :)

Caroline Gill said...

How astonishing that you almost had the castle to yourselves! Timothy was certainly making the most of the experience. We stayed just opposite the castle on our Anglesey trip - so much history to enjoy! Oh dear, compared to those who left comments thinking they were 'late', I see I really am taking up the rearguard! But never mind - the sheer enjoyment is just the same, and in some ways it's really lovely to be able to move from one post straight on to another (is that the less patient side of me coming out??!) rather than having to wait for a future post!

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. Please don't worry about leaving late comments and it is always so lovely to hear from you. We couldn't believe how quiet the castle was - but it was late afternoon. Earlier Beaumaris had been busy!