Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

A Walk Along the Grand Union Canal

 

D and I haven't been on a canal walk for ages and, as it is something we love doing, earlier this week we visited the Grand Union Canal near Knowle.  We haven't done this particular canal walk before.






There were ripe berries everywhere along the hedgerow at the side of the tow path - blackberries, haws, sloes and rose hips.











Ivy was covered in flowers.  We saw pollinators galore and the one species I was particularly thrilled to see



was Ivy Bee.  This is a new species for me and there were dozens of them on the flowers.




The Ivy Bee is a relatively new arrival in the UK having first been seen in 2001 and it is gradually spreading North.  It feeds mainly on ivy nectar and can be seen at this time of year ie September to November.


















There were a lot canal boats moored along the canal.














Good to see a solar panel on this boat :)










Heronfield Small Breeds farm and animal sanctuary is next to the canal and D got this photo of a Shetland Pony.



*D


*D

Damselfly


*D


Speckled Wood


*D

Dragonfly


*D


*D


*D


*D


*D

We walked for an hour or more and then had lunch at the King's Arms which is conveniently situated next to the canal.






We both had the same an open sandwich of avocado and goat's cheese with fries.  The sandwich on toasted bread also included pesto, pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes. It was delicious.




It was so good to get out for a walk in the country. I am hoping we can return to the caravan soon.


I won't say too much about events at the caravan park but a planning application has been submitted to place 21 new caravans on the field opposite our caravan which means we will lose the lovely view we currently have from the lounge window.  There are many things that concern us about the proposed development but as this is a public blog I won't say any more apart from the fact that I am not happy!!!


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 camera and those marked *D taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS.  (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks.


7 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I enjoy a walk along a canal, the one I visited a lot was the Kennet but I will try the Oxford Canal sometime, like the Grand Union lots of people living on Narrowboats. I seen bees buzzing around Ivy now I know what they are

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much Billy. Canals are lovely places to walk. We once walked by a canal in a village near Oxford after we had been to an exhibition but I cannot remember which canal it was.

Ragged Robin said...

I have just checked it was the Oxford canal at Kidlington and we also had a pub lunch there :)

Rosie said...

It looks like a wonderful walk with lots to see along the way. It's good to get out and about and find some interesting wildlife too. Such a worry about what will happen at the caravan park. It would be a shame to lose your view:)

Mandy said...

I love walking along canals, I always find it so peaceful. I haven't been along this canal yet though. Lovely photos from both you and your son

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much Rosie. We were particularly thrilled about the Ivy Bees. I am really angry about the proposed development. Not only would we lose the view but think of the noise and disruption when they create roads, landscape, install utility services and caravans. It will be a refuge no more :( Have left objection on Council website - at least I feel I have done all I can!.

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much Mandy for visiting and leaving a comment. It is a nice canal - we have been some lovely walks in the past on different stretches.