Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 8 October 2024

September Visit to Herefordshire - Part 4: All Saints, Monkland

 


After the visit to Monkland Dairy Shop we stopped off at the church in Monkland - All Saints. I've driven past this church so many times and always wanted to have a look round.

A cell of the Benedictine Abbey of Conches (Normandy) was founded here by Ralph de Toden c 1100.  The Abbey was suppressed in 1414.  A few Norman windows remain in the church.  The West Tower is late C13th although a restoration of the church in 1865/6 by G E Street resulted in the addition of a shingled spire with broaches to the tower.





The Reverend Sir Henry William Baker was vicar at Monkland from 1852 until he died in 1877.  Sir Henry was the first chairman of the compilers of the "Ancient and Modern Hymn Book" which is still in use in most churches today.  He wrote many hymns for the book himself including "The King of Love My Shepherd Is".

The lychgate was erected in Sir Henry's memory by G E Street.




As usual with my church visits I didn't have long and I'd promised D I'd only be 20 minutes. First I had a quick look round the churchyard.





This unusual chest tomb with lion's paws is for William Perry who died in 1828.







I went in search of the grave of  Sir Henry Baker  which is just a simple cross under a yew tree near a wicker gate.






Oontitoomps!! - moles get everywhere!



Then a very brief look in the church.




The font is a round Norman bowl type font.




West Window




View along the Nave towards the Chancel.  Even with the lights on the church was very dark and I had to use really high iso and f2.8 so sorry but many of the photos are a bit "iffy"!










I loved this little model of the church.




There are a few C14th tiles by the pulpit.






The pulpit from the G E Street Restoration is made of oak and walnut with carved figures of the four Latin Doctors.  It was carved by Thomas Earp.






C14th stained glass with a crowned head.






East window by Hardman 1865.




Memorials in the church and a list of the Vicars of All Saints.








In my haste I missed a few features mainly the memorial brass and window to Sir Henry Baker in the chancel area.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks)

Reference:

"The Buildings of England Herefordshire" by Alan Brooks and Nikolaus Pevsner, The University Press 2017

"Tales from Herefordshire's Graves and Burials" by Nicola Goodwin, Logaston Press, 2005


No comments: