Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 26 March 2023

This and That

 

I am sorry for lack of blog posts recently but I still haven't been anywhere so have had little to blog about. I am afraid this post is basically very similar to other recent ones. I can't believe its the end of March and I have hardly been out not even to Herefordshire.


Recent Reading

I have been doing plenty of reading though! I bought this book second hand at Aardvark Books in Brampton Bryan and its brilliant. Its given me even more ideas of Herefordshire churches to visit.  I already had the Shropshire version of this book which I must read even if I only concentrate on South Shropshire.


I've read two more of the Faith Martin books and am really really enjoying this series so thanks again to Billy Blue Eyes.








I've loved every single John Lewis Stempel book I have read and this was again excellent.  Its the story of a farm through the ages and even better the farm is not far from Tenbury Wells so I may well go and have a look at the church mentioned in the book.




The next DCI Banks novel was good too.




I made some Grantham Gingerbread Biscuits yesterday and very good they are too.  The recipe is one by Mrs Simkins and was featured in The Countryman magazine. She has also written a book of recipes which I have hidden away in the pantry.

The original recipe (not the one I mention above) is probably the oldest biscuit recipe in Britain.  It is called "white gingerbread" as it uses white sugar rather than the usual dark brown sugar used in gingerbread. They were first baked by a Grantham Baker called William Eggleston.



We went to Coleshill last weekend as the bookshop was holding a tombola and raffle to try and raise more funds to reach their target of £30,000 for shop repairs.  The good news is that last week they exceeded the target a week ahead of schedule. 




Violets, daffodils and a singing blackbird by Coleshill Parish Church.









We popped into the Town Hall as there was an Antiques and Vintage Fair in progress.  I did buy a few old British First Day Stamp Covers.









Hopefully, I'll have managed to go somewhere before the next blog post although at the moment a swollen foot and ankle, as a side effect of perishing blood pressure tablets, is making walking difficult!

I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


9 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

You don't have to apologise for not blogging. It's entirely up to the individuals how often we blog. I haven't blogged for weeks again. I'm not going anywhere. I don't have anything to say. And I'm not sure people want to keep seeing my art all the time. That's about all I've got to write about at the moment.

It would pay me to slow down my reading speed. I am pleased to see that Books Revisited has achieved their target. However, when I read through it I was reading so quickly I saw "shoe repairs" instead of shop repairs. Like I said, I need to slow down.

Is it a bit on the early side to be seeing violets?? I have some coming out in my garden. But mine cultivated ones.

The Quacks of Life said...

I can relate to your lack of posts. A combination of lack of enthusiasm and naff weather here. keep smiling

Midmarsh John said...

It is great news that Books Revisited has had such tremendous support. Sorry to hear about your ankle problems. Hope they start to clear up soon.
I have been reading some of the Gervase Phinn books - notably A Wayne in a Manger and Over Hill and Dale. As a retired teacher myself I enjoyed his amusing anecdotes from visiting Yorkshire primary schools as a school inspector.

The Wessex Reiver said...

Home thoughts on a blog are as valuable to us readers as far flung travel. Sometimes a lot more interesting, loving the book recommendations and the door knockers. (Apologies too I inadvertently deleted your latest comment while distracted reading my emails - normal service will resume after re-training :-) )

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much Debbie. I miss your blog posts and would certainly be happy to see more of your artwork as you know how much I like it.

I am very guilty of scan reading at times!! I have to make myself slow down sometimes when reading a good fiction book.

I'm not sure if we have violets flowering yet in the garden - I must check when I am next out there.

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. I empathise as I feel the same and the less I get out the more of a rut I get myself in yet I know going out would make me feel better!

MidMarshJohn - Thanks John. We are really pleased about the bookshop. The ankle and foot problem does surface from time to time but usually it subsides and I am just hoping it does the same this time as its getting me down.

I read some of the Gervase Phinn books years ago when I fist had the Kindle - they were very amusing.

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew - that is very kind of you. Door knockers can be quite fascinating at times :) Please don't apologise for deleting my comment accidentally but thanks for letting me know.

Rosie said...

I'm so glad that the book shop has reached its target for the repairs. Sorry you have problems with your BP tablet which stop you getting out and about as you would like to. I know what you mean about not going anywhere very much and not having things to write about. I feel I'm writing about the same things a lot but want to keep going whilst I can. Your posts are always interesting the biscuits look very tasty. Lots of great books too, I must see if I can borrow the JLS farm one, I've enjoyed all the books I've read of his so far. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much Rosie. Not going out really a combination of yuk weather and OH going to E's flat to decorate which means if I want the car I have to take and fetch him which is an hour round trip :( The foot a more recent thing which happens from time to time - it usually subsides and I am hoping it will do so this time otherwise I will have to ring the doctors. I always love your blog posts Rosie whatever you write about. The JLS book is well worth a read. Take care too. Hopefully weather will improve soon and we can all get out more.

CherryPie said...

You can never have too many books on churches,

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks and no you can't. I have a shelf full of them. Taken Herefordshire ones to caravan so now have more space at home for more :)