Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 12 March 2023

Coleshill and Books

 

D and I popped to the market town of Coleshill yesterday. To be honest I have hardly ventured out recently partly due to the dire weather and partly because B has been using the car a lot to visit E's flat to decorate.  With the weather as it is at the moment I can't see us going to Herefordshire either for a while :(







Pillory and Whipping Post






The main purpose of the trip was a visit to the second hand bookshop "Books Revisited". As many of you know it was announced a few weeks ago that it would be closing.  There is a fund raising event to try and raise the 30k needed for repairs so it can continue in the future. In a few weeks they have raised over 17k and the shop has been mentioned on regional tv news (both channels).  The hard part is going to be raising the extra 13k they need and they only have until April to do this.








The lychgate to the town entrance to the churchyard was erected in 1929.










I have no idea what species this tree is but I love the dangly catkins.  The crocuses by the church now seem to have finished.






St Peter and St Paul Parish Church dates back to the 14th/15th centuries.






I am really chuffed with these two books found in the bookshop. Temple Balsall which is steeped in history is one of my favourite local places.




Recent Reading

Being at home so much I am still reading a lot!

The next in the Cooper and Fry series. The ending was a "turn up for the books" although to be honest I have suspected for some time that something like this would happen. I shan't say any more in case any of you read this series and haven't yet read this book.




I do enjoy Peter Marren's books and this was no exception.  It covers Earth's mass extinctions in the past and in far greater detail the current Sixth Mass Extinction.




A new author and series for me and I will certainly read more in this series.



The next in the Dorset Crime books which I thoroughly enjoyed.



The next Mitchell and Markby mystery again very enjoyable.




I hope everyone is staying safe and well.



13 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I do hope the little bookshop is successful in its fundraising. It's done mightily well thus far, but £13,000 now in two weeks or so is it big ask. Good luck to them.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

What a beautiful town to visit. I could think of afew people I would put on the Pillory

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin -Thanks so much. They've just started a twitter account which seems to have resulted in a flurry of donations which is good news.

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much. It is an interesting little town and close to home.

Rosie said...

Coleshill always looks such an interesting place to visit. I hope with all the media publicity the book shop will find the extra cash before the April deadline, it would be such a loss to the town. Lots of lovely books to read, I must read some of the Stephen Booth books again and I've forgotten some of the stories. Is the tree a silk tassle bush or Garrya perhaps? I'm not sure:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much especially re the bookshop. We shall certainly sorely miss it. The next nearest is about 40 mins away either in Kenilworth or Astley Farm and they aren't charity shops. Thanks for suggestions. I will google those. I did once know what it was but sadly have forgotten :(

Millymollymandy said...

Yes, Garrya elliptica! That name came to mind soon as I saw it, lord knows how I remembered the name as I’ve never had one. Think I’ve seen it a few times on G. World.

Hope the bookshop can be saved. I have read three books (novels) recently, first books I’ve read since having cancer, when I devoured dozens. I had just got out of the habit. The first one was a real book, that felt nice. Now I’m going back through our old books to find some thrillers to read, as I had forgotten the plots of the others completely!

Sorry I have not been around. I am not in a blogging mood- and I’ve been busy redecorating. The office was a doddle compared to our bedroom which I am doing now. I had wallpaper to remove, complete with horrible glue which took me three days to wash off! Now dealing with nasty cracks in plasterboard joints, made much worse after last summers drought. Then undercoat, then I will get to where I was with the office, which was just paint! Lol

I may well be Anon as I can’t seem to be MMM on my own blog even on main computer!!! What is going on!

Best wishes
Mandy

Ragged Robin said...

MillyMollyMandy - Thanks so much Mandy - a Silk Tassell Bush which ties in with one of Rosie's suggestions :) Mystery solved :)
You have appeared as MMM here and I know someone else who has same problem when commenting who sometimes appears as Anonymous. Perishing Blogger!

No need to apologise Mandy - I haven't been blogging much mainly because I have nothing to write about - weather not good so not been going out. Sorry to hear about bedroom decoration problems. What a pain :(

Hope you are both keeping well.

The Quacks of Life said...

Good luck to the book shop! everywhere suffering at the moment.

The weather is a pain. I've spent much of the past two weeks walking with my hood up! I'm hoping for a few dry days to get back to Chippenham and Ickworth. I haven't done the later this year!

Hope you can get to Hereford!

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. They are doing really well now up to 22k if you include Gift Aid so need 8k over next two weeks and they are there!

Yes I am fed up with so much rain - I don't like going out in the wet! Hope you manage those two properties!

Thanks re: Herefordshire - missing it but caravan gets claustrophobic when you can't get out due to weather :(

CherryPie said...

The town looks lovely, I hope the bookshop is saved.

I haven't been out much either. The weather has been uninspiring giving me a touch of winter blues.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks and fund raising is going well.

I know that feeling!

Caroline Gill said...

What wonderful gingerbread biscuits, RR! We have also been making ginger biscuits, adding finely-chopped roasted hazelnuts and dark choc. chips for a bit of extra interest. I do hope your foot improves soon and that the signs of spring will give us all a lift. I am still longing to see my first male Brimstone of 2023 ... it seems so late.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you so much. Addition of hazelnts/choc chips sounds a good idea :) Thank you - the one foot is now fine but now the other is hurting which tends to be a prelude for the swelling! Perishing bp tablets :( Not seen a Brimstone here either which as you say seems late.