Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 4 February 2023

Water Orton - St Peter and St Paul and the Methodist Chapel and First Signs of Spring in the Garden

 

The flat that E has just bought is situated in the North Warwickshire village of Water Orton.  It is a place I know quite well as its not far from home but I thought I would go for a little wander there the other day while B was busy decorating E's flat.  She hasn't yet moved in as she has been buying the big items of furniture she needs. 


Water Orton was originally called Overton meaning "settlement on the Tun". At the end of the 16th century the name Water Orton appeared.  It was for many years a very small village but the coming of the railways and the building of a station meant it expanded in size quite rapidly.

The exterior of St Peter and St Paul, Water Orton's Parish Church



The church was built in 1878/9 by Bateman and Corser in the Decorated Gothic Style.  The spire was removed from the tower in 1987. Pevsner thinks the church is a "poor job architecturally" and to be honest I do tend to agree with that comment.  The ground for the church was given by a Captain Digby and his wife laid the foundation stone in September 1878.






I didn't go in the church and as D was with me I didn't check if it was open.

This is the Methodist Chapel built 1868 which is fairly close to the village church.  There is polychromatic brickwork and pointed windows by the entrance.















I also went to check out a cottage built in the 1800's which is currently on the market.  I do like the chimneys seen in the photo below but I think the cottage is overpriced as it is a semi detached and I have vowed never to live in another semi after what is happening with the rebuilding work in the house next to ours.  Also I would prefer to move further away and feel it wouldn't be fair on E to follow her to the same village.



The Digby  - we nearly held our wedding reception here many many years ago!



Vesey Bridge over the River Tame was built around 1520 by Bishop John Vesey of Exeter who came from nearby Sutton Coldfield.  I don't have a photo of the bridge so these are two paintings B did some years ago when he attended an art group in the church.






Placed in the bridge stonework there used to a stone panel depicting St Gabriel which came from the Chapel of St Blaise, Sutton Coldfield.  I have seen the panel which is now located in Curdworth Church for preservation.




This is an ancient stone cross or preaching cross located in the churchard in Old Church Road. It could be C11th or C12th and certainly existed when Overton village was given a licence to hold services in their newly constructed Chapel of Ease in 1346.  The chapel was demolished and a new church was build in 1887. I am not sure why but 100 years later this church was demolished too and the new one seen above was built in a different location.




Signs of Spring in the Garden

A snowdrop is now flowering :)



More Wild Primrose flowers are appearing.



Male and female hazel catkins





A few buds are appearing on cyclamen and buds on Camellias.





Primula




Seedheads - we leave these in the herbaceous border and elsewhere and don't remove them until the Spring as birds like the seedheads and insects can be hibernating in the stems or seeds.












Worryingly E tested positive for covid yesterday.  So far she is fine and just feels as though she has a cold.  To be honest with her working with the public we are lucky to have escaped it for this long although I do know she is very careful.  She is keeping to her room and wears a mask when she has to emerge so one can but hope no-one else catches it!


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wants to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks.


Reference:
The Buildings of England Warwickshire by Chris Pickford and Nikolaus Pevsner  Yale University Press 2016.

Water Orton Warwickshire In Times Past by C W Green


14 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

E is to be commended for pursuing her purchasing of her flat, especially in the current climate. I am so sorry, though, to hear that she's contracted Covid. As you say though, working in the public domain as she does, it's a wonder she hasn't caught it sooner. Sending healing light and good vibes that the rest of you stay safe. And that her dose is short lived and not bad.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin Thanks so much and it was so fortunate she got the mortgage offer when rates were much lower as she wouldn't have been able to afford one now. Thanks especially for kind words re covid. She is fine atm just feels a bit coldy and rest of us touch wood are ok at the moment.

Bovey Belle said...

I'm glad that E has been able to get her first step on the housing ladder, and isn't too far away. Sorry about the Covid though, and hoping you don't get it - I know how wary and careful you have been down the years.

It looks a pleasant little village anyway, even if the church isn't that special.

Rosie said...

Water Orton looks a lovely place to settle down in. I hope your daughter will be happy there but so sorry to hear she has Covid. I hope she recovers quickly and that the rest of you will be okay. Fingers crossed. Vesey Bridge looks interesting and I like the paintings of it. The chimneys and roof on the cottage you like look attractive and quite old. Lovely to see the first signs of Spring in your garden:)

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much for your good wishes. Water Orton is a nice village. I looked at a couple of detached houses there a few years ago but they were a bit too near the river.

Rosie - Thanks so much for your good wishes. We feel ok this morning but early days yet! The interior of the cottage is very nice and the garden a good size but 450K for a semi seems a bit steep to me there again semi's round the Solihull area go for up to 500K!!! You can get a lot more for your money if you go further afield like Herefordshire or Worcestershire. But sadly as mentioned OH wants to stay fairly local.

The Quacks of Life said...

right pain about the covid... you have done well to avoid it so far, hope all well soon.

Good luck to your daughter!

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much Pete. You know me I have more or less "hibernated" and gone in very few places indoors! Always knew a risk from E and job though as you say lucky to have avoided so far. She is fine just a sniffle. OH, David and I touch wood seem ok so far. But early days!!! Thanks again.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Looks like I posted the reply in the wrong post but it gives me a chance to comment that my oldest son managed to catch covid toward the end of last year and he has never had any jabs even though he has MS. he was ill for about a week, we never got it though my other some might have caught it off him. I'd still rather not catch it

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks for commenting again. I am so sorry to hear your son managed to catch it and wasn't very well. Pleased to hear you escaped. Same here I really don't want it - just because one person has a mild dose doesn't mean anyone else will! We are careful here unless I have to I don't go in crowded places and we always wear masks and I still have weekly shop delivered but my daughter was always at risk at work.

Caroline Gill said...

Oh, RR, I do hope your daughter will pick up again very soon. I have heard of several cases where others in a household have escaped ... How exciting, though, about the new flat in what sounds a delightful environment and not too far from you. We continue to wear masks on rare occasions when we have to meet people inside. Though I had to remove mine last week for the MRI scanner in the hospital ... Isn't it lovely to find longer evenings and more signs of spring? We were delighted to find a psreading patch of small Cyclamen blooming through the (rotten and rather ancient) decking.

The Wessex Reiver said...

I am always intrigued by foundation stones. The history of who was this person, the ceremony, and their connection to the building. I wonder then if Captain Greenacres was Benjamin Greenacres? There's a famous (now closed) department store in Durban, started by his father. The dates match and he was in the Durban Rifles before joining the firm. It would be fascinating to know more. NB link I found giving som details half way down https://www.iol.co.za/ios/behindthenews/greenacres-durbans-harrods-38541657.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. Fingers crossed and touched wood the rest of us are still ok. She has had by the looks of it a very mild dose - just felt a bit sniffly. She had a faint positive test yesterday and then a negative one. Early days yet though for the rest of us. I still wear a mask indoors if I go places but I too have had to remove for hospital tests. Yes it is cheering to see the lighter nights and signs of Spring appearing. Great news on your Cyclamen :)

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much and for doing the research. That is so interesting re: Captain Greenacres - I will certainly check out the link as I hadn't found any information on him. There can often be so many interesting things to find in villages if you look :)

Caroline Gill said...

Whoops, just realised I left a comment on the previous post by mistake! I meant to leave it here ...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks and not to worry - easily done :)