Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 15 February 2023

Recent Reading

 

Thankfully E finally tested negative last Sunday and was able to return to work.  Thankfully, she had a very mild dose of covid with cold like symptoms for a few days. Touch wood the rest of us have so far escaped catching it.  E was very good though staying in her room and wearing a mask and using dettol wipes on everything she touched if she did have to come out of her room.

I haven't been anywhere much recently mainly because of E having covid - I know you don't have to self isolate anymore but it doesn't seem fair to go out and about. Also the car has a slow puncture and trying to get it booked into Halfords or Kwikfit has been a nightmare.


So I have been doing plenty of reading.

Thanks to Billy for mentioning the Faith Martin books in a comment.  Its a new series for me and I so enjoyed the first book that I bought the second in the series and read it straight after!





I've been meaning to read "A Month in the Country" for some time as I have seen it mentioned on Twitter and Blogger (Rosie - was it you  who commented on it once?).  Its a short book but I loved it. Totally different to anything I have read before and I think the story will remain with me for a long time.



This Melissa Harrison book has been on my Kindle for ages!  Its well written although I personally don't think I would call it "nature writing" but that is a personal view.  I still can't make up my mind whether I enjoyed it or not although the ending frustrated me - too many unanswered questions remained.



I was really sad to hear recently that our favourite secondhand charity bookshop in Coleshill called "Books Revisited" is closing. We will really miss it as we have found so many good and very reasonably priced books there in the past.

The following two local books were bought there - one is on the village E is moving too and the other is based on the Shustoke area which is not far away.  The books have many old photos from the past and snippets of history.





The next Wesley Peterson novel was very good again.  I am not looking forward to reaching the end of this series!



I love Mary Berry's traybake recipes - everyone I have tried has been good.  This is the almond and cherry traybake made last week when we had run out of biscuits, chocolate bars and crisps!!



I hope everyone is staying safe and well


12 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Still trying to avoid C19 like mad!

Rosie said...

So glad to hear that E is well again and back at work and that everyone else stayed covid free. Like you we haven't been going out and about very much but hope to visit a local snowdrop garden this week. Yes, it was probably me who mentioned A Month in the Country by JLCarr as it is one of my all time favourite books probably the favourite. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I read it every now and again and have seen a stage adaptation of it. I wish the film was on DVD as it was so true to the book. Perhaps they will remake it one day:)

Bovey Belle said...

I must do an update on recent reading too. Still feeling slightly bereft at having finished re-reading The Pillars of the Earth. I would love to get back to murder/mystery stories but a friend has send all sorts my way and I really ought to try and get through some or they get put on a bookshelf and forgotten about!

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thank you. I hope you avoid and I don't want it either!

Rosie - Thanks so much. I hope you enjoy your snowdrop garden and post some photos. I can see why you love the book and it is a shame the film is not on dvd. I bet the stage adaptation was good too. Seems like the top of book the BBC could make a good drama out of.

Bovey Belle - Thank you. My son keeps recommending I read "Pillars of the Earth!. I have a lot of non murder/mystery stories to read but usually drift back to crime. But I do need to read some and clear my kindle a bit!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Glad to hear you've got plenty of good reading to keep you going while E is in isolation. I know exactly what you mean about isolation. Or lack of these days with so many cases. I am continuing to wear my mask and observe hand hygiene. I have had some cheeky comments over my mask. But these days I just say, "well, it's part of my bail conditions, I have to wear one". Give back as good as you get now.
In case this goes through as anonymous, which it has been on other blogs. It's me, rustic pumpkin. Debbie.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much and it has appeared as you Debbie. We still wear masks and I carry anti viral hand sanitiser when I do go out. But as you say so few people now bother. I love your reply to people's comments. I will remember that!!! :)

Caroline Gill said...

What a mouth-watering cake, RR! I'm so glad that E is on the mend and that the rest of you had remained clear of the virus when you wrote. I haven't read 'At Hawthorn Time', but, as a childhood lover of 'The Little Grey Men'by B.B., I recently romped through Harrison's (children's) books about their modern day descendants. I must investigate J.L. Carr ...

I hope you stay well .

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you. MB's traybakes are to be recommended :) I loved The Little Grey Men too - I didn't realise Harrison had written children's books as well. I will investigate! JL Carr's is short more like a novella but I loved it.

The Quacks of Life said...

really pleased it was mild!

Melissa Harrison did a really good podcast called the stubborn light of things

https://melissaharrison.co.uk/podcast/

it's now a book.... not read it but the podcast was excellent and I think you'd like

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much Pete. I do have that book although not read it yet - my friend bought it for me as a present. I will look into the podcast - thanks so much.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Must confess I've become a bit of a Faith Martin addict, I have all the Hillary Green books you started. My problem is I recognised all the places mentioned, one a few miles from where I Live. The last series about a murder on a paddle boat on The Thames was in a area I knew well. I have to wonder where Faith lived near Oxford but I would to the west. You might want to check my blog this week I remembered you with the last photo

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes - Thanks so much and especial thanks for mentioning the books as I am sure I will be reading the whole series. I am certainly enjoying them far more than Inspector Morse which I found dated. I will certainly be reading your blog later today :) Thank you.