Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 31 January 2022

RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch and Elmdon Manor LNR

 RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch

I took part, as I know many of you also did, last weekend on the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch. I have so enjoyed reading about your counts.

So what did I see?

Magpie 2

Wood Pigeon 6

Blackbird 2

Blue Tit 2

Collared Dove 2

Great Tit 1

House Sparrow 4

Dunnock 2

Goldfinch 3

Robin 1


Not a brilliant total but in recent years I have found I see a lot less species than I used to.  Most of the regulars visited apart from Coal Tit but none of the less regular species such as Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Stock Dove and Ring-necked Parakeet.

Sorry for lack of photos the sun was shining straight on the back garden and it was difficult enough trying to check the garden let alone take photos in the sun.

Elmdon Manor LNR

On Saturday D and I took a walk round the small Local Nature Reserve of Elmdon Manor.  The timing of the visit was not good as I had forgotten that Solihull Moors Football Ground is nearby and there was  a match on that afternoon which made parking difficult! Luckily, I got the last space in a pull in right by the reserve.

The reserve, which covers 5 hectares, was once part of the garden and grounds of Elmdon Manor.  The mixed habitat includes woodland, grassland, a large pool and what was once the walled garden where there is an orchard.  The walled garden was built in the 18th century.  The reserve is now owned by Solihull Council and managed by Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.

















It was nice to see some clumps of snowdrops around the walled garden in particular.  Birds were notable by their absence. We saw a jay and a blackbird!!!  


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330


14 comments:

Rosie said...

You had some lovely visitors during the count, a good selection. Its a shame one of your more unusual visitors didn't show up during the hour. We haven't seen the GS Woodpecker, which started to visit our garden last year, this year. It was always a joy to see him. The walk looks lovely and great to see a jay:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Years ago we had a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers here all the time but in recent years not so many sightings and the Nuthatches seem to have disappeared too :) Elmdon Manor is a nice little reserve.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Don't be disheartened, you might just have picked the wrong hour, and these things do change year on year. Shame the "good" ones didn't show. Good to see you got out a bit, nothing like fresh air!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I probably did tbh in recent years only get between 10 and 12 species we used to get about 15/16. Fresh air and outings good for beating stress :)

Caroline Gill said...

Your list may not have been what it might have been in previous years, RR, but it looked pretty good to me. I wonder how often you have had the parakeets? I have only ever seen them once and that was in the grounds of Hampton Court! I'm looking forward to the birdwatch results, which I guess come out in about May. I wonder if the Covid pandemic will have made a difference (more folk at home perhaps to do the count? - who knows).

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. The parakeets a few years ago after first sighting visited regularly for months but these days the sightings are much less frequent.

I think there is quite a colony of them a few miles away.

There could be more doing the count but perhaps not as many as last year when we were in lockdown?

Caroline Gill said...

I must look at a sightings map, RR, to see if there are colonies near us. I feel very ill-informed about these charismatics birds.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Good Luck Caroline. I know they are certainly spreading around the country.

Pam said...

I think any bird counted during the RSPB weekend is good as they have a habit of staying away don't they :D It looks like it was worth getting that last parking spot!

Ragged Robin said...

Pa - Thank you and lol! :) They do tend to hide away for that hour :) Yes we were fortunate - something I will have to bear in mind in the future!

CherryPie said...

As mentioned before not many birds frequent my garden at this time of year. Although I wasn't counting all I have seen recently are magpies, collard doves and blackbirds. Even the Robin was absent.

In a few weeks time I will see all of those on your list (apart from wood pigeon) plus a few others.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you and I hope your garden birds return soon.

Millymollymandy said...

I forgot about the garden birdwatch! The same was happening in France too. Never mind, would have only been several dozen sparrows and a few tits! You did well, a nice variety I would say.

Loved seeing the snowdrops! I miss my old ones though I bought some summer snowflakes for a change so they will be interesting to have. Enjoyed seeing the park you visited and the old walled garden and what I guess is the old well. Love your lichen photos!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much. I didn't realise it was held in Europe. Oh well always next year :(

Thanks re snowdrops. Snowflakes are lovely :) I think it is a wellor a pool railed off for safety reasons? Lichens seems to like orchards and apple trees.