Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 10 December 2021

Recent Reading and Knitting etc

 

"Matilda Lady of Hay" is another Logaston Press book. A non fiction book detailing the life of Matilda. A fascinating subject and book. I wanted to read it before I re-read "Lady of Hay" by Barbara Erskine.  I am hoping next year we will travel further afield in Herefordshire and Hay on Wye is a must to visit.




I really wanted to buy Secret Britain for myself but as son wanted it for his birthday I've since read his copy.  A superb book which is a gazeteer of fascinating archaelogical sites and artefacts full of great photos.




I am really enjoying this Jackman and Evans series by Joy Ellis.




I think "The Devil's Edge" is probably the best so far in the Cooper and Fry series and SO good to see Ben Cooper promoted but will he marry Liz?  Will be interesting to see. 



I found you could buy another Miss Read story on Fairacre - a nice bit of "comfort" reading :)



A re-reading of the Merrily Watkins second story by Phil Rickman. I had forgotten how scary they were which meant I reverted to "A Peaceful Retirement" nearer bedtime!!!




The Christmas Cactus in the porch is flowering early!




D bought this Christmas Tree Advent Calendar last year complete with the chocolates.  Easy to re-use though just buy another Chocolate Orange and box of Ferrero Rocher!



My advent calendar this year is one by Angela Harding - sorry for the under exposed photo!




I've found a good beanie hat knitting pattern.  The one on the right goes with the scarf I knitted below in chunky yarn wool and the creamy one on the left made with double knitting wool (I followed same pattern but just cast on more stitches) matches a scarf I already have with the same wool. As there is some wool left over I'm now knitting a lacy scarf!

To be honest I am prevaricating as I bought more of the sea blue/green chunky wool and a pattern to make a jumper and I am putting of starting it.  I am ashamed to say I haven't made a jumper since mum was alive and well enough to sew it up for me and pick up stitches for me to do the neck of the jumper!





I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I do hope you get your wish for next year that we can all start travelling about with safety once more. Very handy having a son with similar interests. Your hats and scarf are lovely.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic pumpkin - Thanks so much and so do I. Another problem is finding toilets either closed and I don't like to sneak into pub atm or even have coffee in tearooms so I can use theirs!! Yes it is handy re: books, using cameras and days out!! etc.

Rosie said...

Lots of great reading especially Joy Ellis and Stephen Booth. Lady of Hay and Secret Britain look interesting. I too re-read a Phil Rickman book and also had forgotten how unsettling they could be. Your hats and scarves look cheerful and warm. Love both your advent calendars. Have a lovely weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. My son has started to continue reading the Merrily series he gave up last time after four. Still undecided if I will continue re-reading them all. I may miss the "Fred West" one out this time!! Have a lovely weekend too and take care.

Caroline Gill said...

What lovely knitting, RR. I love the beanies and scarf. I feel sure you will enjoy Hay when the right time comes. It was always a favourite Saturday expedition when we lived in Swansea. We *loved* the bookshops, of course, but also Hay Bluff (views, picnics), Llantony Priory and Capel-y-Ffin.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. I was pleased with the beanies - so easy too and loved the wool on the chunky scarf and house. Thanks for extra information on Hay On Wye - we have driven through years ago but never stopped. I don't think it is that far - about 40/45 minutes perhaps. I do wish this pandemic would go away - I know many people are more or less leading "normal" lives and going to pubs and tearooms etc but I am just too nervous at the moment.