Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 14 August 2021

Herefordshire - Part 4: Leominster Priory and Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul (Exterior)

 

I was thrilled to finally get chance to see the Priory as I had wanted to visit for ages. A brief visit and we did spend more time walking round the exterior than inside.

A Celtic church was founded at Leominster ~660AD by a missionary St Edfrith from Lindisfarne and King Merewalh. It was the first great minster in Herefordshire and even pre-dates Hereford Cathedral.

Old legends speak of Edfrith converting the local king Merewalh to Christianity by working out the meaning of his dreams.

The church later became a Roman Benedictine monastery.

By 1100, according to a surviving prayer book written by a woman, the monastery had become a nunnery until it was "destroyed" by local war lords.

In 1125 King Henry I re-founded the Leominster Monastery and gave it to ReadingAbbey at which time it became a Priory.

Until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the mid 16th century the estates of Leominster gave much wealth to Reading Abbey including profits from the local Ryland sheep which, at the time, provided the most valuable wool in Britain.





Initially, the local parishioners used the North Nave part of the monastic church to worship but as conflicts arose they built Forbury Chapel in Church Street to use instead (please see last blog post for photos).

But the burgesses were not happy with this arrangement and a new nave (south of the Norman nave) was built for parishioners to use.

In the 14th century the South Aisle in the Decorated Style was built.  The growing wealth of the town resulted in the West Tower and window being constructed in the 15th century.

The Dissolution meant that the monastery was disbanded in 1539 and the monastic parts of the church were destroyed. Fittings were sold and stained glass and statues were smashed.  (Henry VIII has a lot to answer for!!!!).

At the end of the 17th century in 1699 a bad fire occurred which destroyed the church's medieval art with just a few exceptions, for example, the Wheel of Life Wall painting.  The restored building was re-opened in 1705.

Most of the church survived through the centuries and George Gilbert Scott restored and re-ordered the church between 1862 and 1879.




This is something I will not be volunteering for!! You wouldn't even get me to the top of the tower!!















The parts of the church built in the "Decorated Style" are just covered in ballflower decoration. The Ballflower is a type of architectural decoration which resembles a ball enclosed in a globe-shaped 3 petalled flower.  It is different from most of the foliage decoration of the Decorated Period in that it is stylised and not carved on direct observation of real plants although there is a slight similarity to a globe flower or half opened rose bud.

The earliest recorded use of the decoration was in the West of England where it can be seen in the Chapter House of Wells Cathedral.  The Chapter House dates back to 1286 - c1306.  The idea then appeared at Hereford Cathedral and by the 1310's and 1320's the decoration was used in other sites in Herefordshire mainly at Leominster Priory.  It was used so extensively because of the idea of richness and encrustation it gave to a building.


The South Porch rebuilt in the early 14th century. It has tall slender shafts and stiff-leaf capitals and 3 trefoiled niches with the ballflower decoration.











The South or Parish Aisle is a showpiece of Herefordshire Decorated. There are five identical windows all tall and wide with four lights studded with ballflowers.  

I must admit I had one of those "wow" moments when I saw these - B was totally unmoved!!!













 



In the south transept part of the south wall on the north side there is an early 14th century tomb recess again with ball flower decoration.

Excavations by EA Freeman of this area in 1853 discovered a plan of the pilgrimage church which had been destroyed at the Dissolution.



The ballflowers here look to me like angry faces!!!








Looking back at the photos I am a bit confused as to where I took the next few but I think it may have been the exterior wall of the north aisle.








Unbelievably I almost missed the part of the Priory I most wanted to see the Herefordshire School of Romanesque carvings!  B had started to walk back towards the car park when I saw the  Norman West Front and said - sorry I just need another five minutes!










The 12th century West Door with carvings by the Herefordshire School of Romanesque Sculpture.




The capitals by the School all have cable necking and the abaci are richly carved with saltire crosses, rows of beads and 8 pointed stars in square frames.

On the left hand side the capitals show two birds (doves?) entwined in foliage; two men dressed in ribbed suits, wearing round hats with concentric bands, cutting through foliage with their sickles and two serpents on the final capital with a large horn on their heads and gaping mouths. The serpents appear to be entwined in branches or foliage.

George Zarnecki suggested a connection with the Billesley tympanum (Warwickshire) - another place on the list of churches to visit! -  and interpreted the scenes as being two men pursued by evil serpents trying to escape by cutting their way through the foliage and then through the doves as symbols of purity.














The capitals on the right hand side include one with foliage (wheat?), two ferocious looking lions with large paws and heads and more foliage in the final one.



















In the next post I will share some not very good photos of the interior - I had 10/15 minutes to dash round!


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


Reference: Leominster Priory website Article on "Our History"

"The Buildings of England Herefordshire" (Pevsner) - latest edition.

"The Herefordshire School of Romanesque Sculpture" by Malcolm Thurlby

"Decorated in Glory Church Building in Herefordshire in the Fourteenth Century" by Nigel Saul - Logaston Press




11 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Oh WOW! Right, another reason (apart from B&Q and the Antique Shops) to visit Leominster again. I don't know how the Priory has passed me by! Thank you so much for the profuse photos - I thought the ball and flower carvings looked a bit like faces from the distance too!

So glad you finally got there anyway.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Priory sort of between B and Q and town centre! You can access it from Church Street from town centre or from Broad Street car park there is a cut through and you go up a steep hill for a short while and arrive. Google maps should reveal what I mean I hope :) Definitely well worth a visit! I thought it was wonderful!

Rosie said...

What a wonderful building and a shame so much of it was lost one way or another. Impressed that the restoration after the fire of 1699 was complete in 1705, just six years. The windows are stunning and I too thought at first that the ball flower decorations were little skulls or faces. Your photos are super and have made me want to visit one day to find the Priory:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Oh to have seen medieval churches etc in all their glory! The ball flower decorations do appear from a distance as different things :) Thanks again re: photos and I hope you can visit one day - well worth it!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

WOW! Gret history of this building and you have taken photos from every angle to show us. Thanks. I love the close up of some of the architecture . Thanks for your concerns for my arm/shoulder and this week the physio is very pleased how it has improved over the previous 3 weeks. Now it just need strengthened - more exercises. I am up to 15 daily now!! Today and Thursday I am having my Myocardial Perfusion Imaging tests on my heart so here's hoping they produce a good result and needing no treatment. Have a GLORIOUS WEEK AHEAD

Rustic Pumpkin said...

laptop limping along this morning, so I know I've missed a lot of your photos. The carving on the capitals is superb, but I'm not sure what to make of the Ballflowers! To be honest, while they are spectacular in quantity and quality, I find them rather unnerving to look at, as I feel they look like little hobgoblins peering down! I do have an over active imagination at times.

Ragged Robin said...

Birdingfor Pleasure - Thanks so much Margaret and lovely to hear from you. Pleased to hear that your arm/shoulder is slowly improving and I hope all goes well with the heart tests later this week. Good luck.

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much and I am not suprised your laptop is struggling- I did rather overload the photos!!

I know what you mean about little hobgoblins to be honest! But I do like the effect of them en masse. If I am honest though I prefer the Romanesque to the Decorated!

Pam said...

I always seem behind on blogs at the moment! I've just been catching up on your trip - one day of rain doesn't seem so bad for summer in the UK :D It looks lovely in your photos and i'm pleased you've been able to get out and about and explore. I'm with you on the abseiling - no thank you!!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. Easy to get behind with my posts I am being a bit prolific atm!! :) I think we may have stayed a couple more nights but rain was forecast at the weekend! Definitely no abseiling for me ever either!!!

CherryPie said...

There are some really interesting details carved into the church.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much. I knew about the carvings in advance which helped :)