Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 11 August 2021

Herefordshire - Part 3: Leysters and Leominster Town Centre

 

After leaving Stockton Bury Gardens on Wednesday we drove back a different way cutting across country and when I saw the sign to Leysters' church I asked B to make a detour so I could again try and find the Wordsworth stone where William and Dorothy sat.





I'd been given instructions to walk down the lane from the church car park and take the track on the right.



Unfortunately for me I took the first track across a field and failed yet again to find the stone!  When we got back I checked the OS map where the stone is marked and realised I had turned off the lane far too soon. Anyway the good news is I now think I know exactly where it is so I will return!



On Thursday it rained all day so I did some housework at the caravan and spent the rest of the day reading.

Friday was at least dry and we decided to have a look round Leominster.  The A road we follow normally to  get to Morrisons or other places by-passes the town centre so we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised :)

Just in case I couldn't persuade B to visit Leominster Priory I took a few record shots from the car park.  Note the huge amount of ballflower decorations around the window in the second photo 😃







Leominster was quite busy but nowhere near as bad as Ludlow had been.  I did find it hard again though to take photos - B wasn't on such a route march this time but I still had the problem of people coming far too close while I was trying to take pictures.

Leominster is a market town with around 11,000 inhabitants near the River Lugg and its tributaries.  

The town began as a settlement west and south of the Saxon minster.  It was primarily a wool town and was particularly prosperous in the 15th century.  The quality of its wool called Lemster Ore (see picture below!) was superb.  Other notable trades included drapery, hat making and leather work.  

Many timber framed buildings survive along with Georgian houses.



Buddleia seems to grow wherever it can find a crack or crevice.




There was a blue plaque on this house saying it was the site where the Red Cross Bridge once spanned Pinsley Brook. The brook ran under Broad Street and around the monastery.





We turned along Broad Street into the town centre.









I did wonder if the Lion Gallery was once the Lion Hotel which was built in 1843 and was a survivor from the coaching era.









Draper's Lane with its many independent shops.








Finally, we arrived at Corn Square which is the only part of the original market square that survives.



















Off down another little alley and we found a cheese shop, traditional sweet shop and an independent bookshop.  All were tempting and two at least  had signs requesting masks be worn.  At some stage I will pluck up courage and go in one of these shops!









This wall painting is called "Orchard Through the Seasons" by RG Jericho and Ryan Midgley, Leominster Town Cadets for Leominster in Bloom 2014.




















By this stage we had wandered round quite a few streets and ended up in Rainbow Street.




This is the former Hinton's General Store built in 1888.  Small tiled panels advertise items once sold here - corn, potatoes, hay, straw.










Grafton House may be late 14th century.



This, I think, is a former Congregational Chapel, 1866-67.




Former Wesleyan Chapel 1861.



Then off down Church Lane towards Leominster Priory.





This is the Forbury Chapel or Chapel of St Thomas of Canterbury built 1284 and used for a while as a place of worship for local people.


























We really liked Leominster and will certainly return - there is still a lot to explore there.

The next couple of posts will be on the brief visit to Leominster Priory :)


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.

Reference "Buildings of England Herefordshire" Pevsner (latest edition).







16 comments:

Edward Evans said...

A lovely town is Leominster. We are going to visit a lot when we are in Kington. It seems really nice. The small river is the River Kenwater I believe and I think it was a cut across from the river lugg across the town. just noticed someone looking out the window at Grafton House!

Atb

Edward

CherryPie said...

Lovely photos of Leominster. When I visited a few years ago it didn't quite capture my imagination. I need to go back again, I see I missed a lot of interesting things.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It made me sad to read what you said about drapers, milliners, and leather workers {and the wool} because what has happened to these fine industries upon which Britain was built? That could be a "don't get me started" theme! Leominster seems a quaint and interesting town, and the shops do look so inviting {once it is fully safe to enter} reminding me a little of Butcher's Row in Barnstaple. Loved seeing the pot of sunflowers, so cheery and bright. They are my favourite flower.

Bovey Belle said...

Gosh, you DID have a good explore - you've been to bits we've not been to yet, but we know the main parts (your first 20 or so photos) very well. It's a nice little town. When I was in Hay market a couple of weeks back there was a woman from "off" who was so close she was touching me and as fast as I moved away, there she was again and I couldn't go forward as folk in the queue in front of me! I had my mask on (she didn't) but I was glad to get away.

I'm glad you liked Leominster and know you will enjoy the shops when you go inside. I work on the principal that as I'm double-jabbed, wear a mask, wash my hands and don't stand in someone's airspace for 15 minutes, I can't get any more protected.

Ragged Robin said...

Edward Evans - Thanks so much. We shall certainly be visiting again!! I haven't been to Kington so that is on my list of places to visit! Yes it is the Kenwater I think too! There was a woman leaning out of the window - not sure what she made of me taking a photo!!

CherryPie - Thanks so much. Plenty to see there and plenty more for us to explore! :)

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much and yes it is very sad. Where we can we go out of our way to buy things made in England but sometimes it just is not possible which is very annoying! The first part of Leominster - Broad Street reminded me of Ryde on the Isle of Wight for some reason! No-one was in the cheese or book shop so those shops were tempting!

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. We were there about 2 hours probably about one and a quarter hours town centre and the rest of time at the Priory. How awful about the woman in Hay - I hated people like that pre covid (post offices were particularly bad for people breathing down your neck as you shuffle forward to escape so do they!) but now its 100x worse!

At some stage I do have to take the plunge as I take same precautions as you. After all I have been in churches and also passed through visitor centres when we have been places! Would be more likely to go in a shop in Herefordshire where cases lower than round here!

Rosie said...

Leominster is a lovely town, I remember we dropped a friend off at a B&B there on our way to Hereford. She was staying overnight and meeting a friend, we had a walk in the town to find a place to eat. She later told me about visiting the priory with her friend. Such a shame you didn't find Wordsworth's stone - I hope you find it next time you visit.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Glad you have visited Leominster if not the priory. It was a pain about the stone but I didn't realise we would drive back that way so hadn't really researched properly where it was! Its only 20 minutes from the caravan so easy to return to :)

Bovey Belle said...

I was just thinking, if you don't want to go to Hay at the moment (though I think it's calmed down again covid-wise), you could go up to Hay Bluff and enjoy those views, then along through Gospel Pass to the little church beloved of Kilvert at Capel-y-Ffin, and on to nearby Llantony Priory.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much for the suggestions. We went into Leominster so I don't suppose Hay would be any worse? Main problem in going too far is not being able to pop into pub or cafe so easily for the loo - not sure if public loos open and not keen on them anyway. But I will check how to get to Hay Bluff and Gospel Pass and the litle church and priory. Thanks so much.

Millymollymandy said...

Another beautiful Herefordshire town! This one looks more interesting than Ludlow. I love the coffee shop and the Merchants House Cafe with its wonky walls! That building is what I meant when I was wondering whether they were still called Half Timbered, when they are timbered all the way to the ground. Is there such a thing a Full Timbered?! I ought to google than one, lol! Look forward to more posts like this (preferable to me than churches, sorry!) :-) xx

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much :) Interesting question about full timbered!! Not sure about houses but you can get timber barns. On the kindle I have a book about "black and white" houses and half timbered buildings etc so that may well answer the question!! Not to worry re: churches - I suspect it is a niche interest!!! REst of family feel the same so you are not alone!! I only started "church crawling" about 11 years ago - inspired by another blogger (thanks Pete :) ).

Millymollymandy said...

Hi C, I found an interesting article which explains what half-timbered houses means! It mentions a manor that I think you have visited, as a fine example. Here’s the link, you’ll have to copy and paste it into browser as I don’t think it will come up as a link.
https://www.britainexpress.com/History/half-timber.htm

Ragged Robin said...

MillyMollyMandy - Thanks so much for looking and for the link. I will have a look now. I have visited the website before on other matters - it is very good!! What did we do before the internet and google search?!!! :)

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks again that is a really fascinating article :) Yes we've been to Little Moreton Hall and Lower Brockhampton manor - both amazing and I visit Baddesley Clinton as lot as it is local.

Caroline Gill said...

I really hope you find the Wordsworth stone, RR! It's good to find you getting out and about and enjoying your explorations (though I know you will be continuing to take care, as we are!).

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much and hopefully next visit I will find it - it is carved with William and Mary's initials. It is good to go out more although nerve wracking in busy places!!! Hand sanitisers and sometimes masks let alone disposable gloves which I hate using due to environment seem to have become a way of life :(