Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 9 June 2020

First week of June







Another week passes - I really must make the effort this week to try and go out into the countryside for a walk although the weather doesn't look promising.

A few pictures first of garden flowers - apologies again as this post is going to be much the same as the previous ones!

The white peony in the herbaceous border is now flowering.



Canterbury Bells - we have white ones and blue ones.



Pot Marigold or Calendula


I am sure someone in the past has named this plant for me but yet again the name eludes me!
Edit - Thanks to Bovey Belle I now know this is Yellow Loosestrife


Mock Orange


Foxgloves


Red Valerian which always reminds me of holidays in Cornwall. I bought these plants hoping to attract Hummingbird Hawkmoths and in the past they have visited but not so far this year.


Geranium



I seem to have lost my "Ladybird" poppy but this white one has survived and now has buds.


Pale pink fuschia which forms a deciduous shrub rather than the plants of the red, maroon and pink variety.





A new hoverfly for the garden - Dark Wasp Hoverfly - Chrysotoxum festivum



Tree Bumble Bee on Water Avens


A few moths from when I put out the moth trap last week

Common Carpet

Edit Thanks to Edward Evans for correcting my id - this is Spruce Carpet


Straw Dot


Speckled Wood - the only butterfly species I have seen round the garden in the last week.


I've noticed bees on the beech hedge a lot recently and think they are searching for honeydew from aphids. This Tree Bumble Bee on a shrub in the back garden was doing a weird waggle dance and I think too it was eating honeydew.




B and D have been busy gardening - mainly vegetables. Tomato plants are now in pots and the remainder will go in hanging baskets where they did well last year. Runner Beans, courgettes and potatoes are planted and here we have some cabbages and swedes.








I forget to mention in my last post that sadly none of the Blue Tit chicks survived. As far as we could see only the female was visiting the nest so yet again it appears something happened to the male. She just could not seem to find enough food to feed them.




Blackberry Flowers



Broad-leaved Willowherb


Herb Robert


Cats Ear in the lawn - unfortunately no sign of the Fox and Cub seeds germinating.



The small area of woodland at the top of the garden is looking a trifle overgrown! Still it will be good for wildlife.





Recent Reading

This was the best Midsomer Murder Mystery so far.



I enjoyed this book a new author for me as it was "different". If you like reading about bees, badgers, scarecrows, walks in the countryside, witches knickers (you will have to read the book to find out what these are!), cats and eccentric families etc. etc. you may enjoy this book.



Baking

Gingerbread House and biscuits made with the left over dough.






Choc Chip Cookies made by E.



We have put the flowers we pressed from the garden earlier in the Spring in a book.



Journal - have more or less at the moment given up on the drawings!





D and I have gone through some more old family slides. These are Dad's from an Isle of Wight holiday in 1960 so I would have been 7/8.

Carisbrooke Castle


Osborne House


Whippingham Church


Winkle Street


Me in the sea at Shanklin. Can anyone else remember those awful swimming hats and bubble costumes we used to wear as children in the 1960's :(



Me and my brother at Blackgang Chine


Me and Gnomes also at Blackgang Chine


Mottistone Manor


The Arch in Freshwater Bay which has now collapsed into the sea.


St Agnes thatched church Freshwater


Yarmouth


Mom and me Shanklin Beach


My grandfather and me again at Shanklin


My mother, paternal grandparents and me at Shanklin.



Out of all the holidays when I was a child the Isle of Wight ones are the ones I remember most. I am pretty sure we visited in consecutive years staying in Shanklin and Ventnor. I was hoping we might get most of the slides done while D was on holiday but there are still dozens of boxes and to be honest going through one box a day is enough as Dad's are in metal boxes that he used to slot into a slide projector and we are having to remove the metal mount off each slide so that it will fit in the scanner :(




I am hopeful we may be able to go to the static caravan in Herefordshire in early July. The first visit though will need to be arranged as we still haven't got the keys for it and will need to "meet" the site owners to get keys, pass for the site etc. I shall be glad to go there if only to get rid of the boxes and bags full of kitchen and bed items that are still littering the house! In view of this I really have to start making the effort to go out walking more away from the house and garden.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well. Take care.



Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. Slides of Isle of Wight taken by my father - from memory he had a Koday Retinette 1A? camera.



13 comments:

Midmarsh John said...

You have an amazing variety of flowers in your garden - so much to watch as the seasons change.

Bovey Belle said...

Gosh what a super post. You have been busy - and taking lots of photos. Your yellow flower is Yellow Loosestrife. Lovely flowers in your garden and I bet the wildlife loves your overgrown trees and grass at the end.

Good insects too - I am sure I have seen one of those Dark Wasp Hoverflies, must look out for more. Butterflies a bit thin on the ground here this summer after the sudden hatchings in the spring.

I have a pile of books to read a mile high but have been TOO BUSY to read much! I am glad you are persevering with your journal and live the pressed flowers. Gosh, that dates us doesn't it? I can remember being very keen on pressing flowers back in the 1970s - there was a book by a lady called Penny Black if I remember rightly, who inspiredme.

LOVE the IoW photos and thank you for sharing. We must try and get a holiday there some time in the future, as there is lots of see. I grew up in So'ton but didn't go to the island half as much as I might have done.



Edward Evans said...

I'm rather good at macro moths and do the ' Rishworth' posts on Calderdale Moths blog. your Common Carpet is actually a Spruce Carpet.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I feel the same, I need to find it in me to step off my drive! I thought, living in the country, I'd be on a long walk daily, but I have yet to brave it. Still, you have lovely flowers to bring wild life to you. I know that yellow flowered plant, but the name eludes me too. Frustrating. Love seeing all the snaps from your childhood. You are lucky to have such a record.

Edward Evans said...

I'm quite good at macro moths and do the Rishworth posts on Calderdale Moths blog. The common carpet is a Spruce Carpet.

CherryPie said...

I hope you feel able to take a walk outside your garden. It will be lovely and clear your head.

During these current times I struggle to make that step too. But it is really worth it for many reasons when I do :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much and I am really grateful to my garden during these lockdown times!

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I pressed a lot of flowers as a child and in recent years have started in a small way to continue with it although I am careful which wild flowers I pick - only the very common ones! Thanks so much for Yellow Loosestrife id - its come back to me now!!!! The Isle of Wight is rather lovely - we have been that much it feels like going home. We do still talk of moving there as you can get a lot for your money but the problem is the kids and jobs. Also I think if you want to leave the island it is expensive ferry wise even with a resident reduction :(

Edward Evans - Thanks so much for correcting me. I am always grateful to people who correct my id errors :) It is not the first time I have made the same mistake and I am a bit rusty these days as I haven't been using the trap as much as I used to.

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. The longer you leave it re: going out the worse it gets I find. May try today before days of rain set in! I am glad now I brought the slides back although at the time I was tempted to ditch them as everything round there was just coated with dust and mould :( I still have to decide whether I am going to pay (a lot I suspect) to have the cinefilms I brought back put on dvd.

CherryPie - Thanks so much for the enouragement. As you say I will feel better when I do!

Rosie said...

Such a super post with so much to enjoy. Lovely flowers in your garden, I was going to say Yellow Loosestrife but I see Bovey Belle has already mentioned it. We have lots of purple loosestrife at the moment and some yellow too. What a shame about the bluetits. I've been watching Springwatch and they too had a nest where the male disappeared and the female struggled to feed the young but she did manage to fledge two of the five. I hope you can get to your static caravan soon, it will be a real tonic to be somewhere different even if you don't go very far away from it. Good to get it sorted and make it feel like 'yours' too. Your slide photos of family are lovely. I remember a couple of holidays on the Isle of Wight in the 1960s mainly around Shanklin but I do remember going to Alum Bay? and taking a glass tube full of coloured sand layers home. Stay safe:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Thanks re: Yellow Loosestrife - I am sure people have told me before so will try and drum it in my head! My daughter saw the bit on Springwatch about the difficulties of one bird raising a brood.

I don't think we shall be doing the things we planned like visiting Ludlow and Herefordshire etc etc but as you say it will be good to take the items and walk around the site and country lanes in the short term. Just hoping we can go - trying not to get too excited yet!

Oh yes! I remember bringing home a glass tube of coloured sand from Alum Bay too - in those days you were allowed to chip away and collect your own! I hope you can go to the Isle of Wight one day soon as I am sure you mentioned a relative lived there and you were hoping to visit??

Stay safe too :)

Pam said...

The pressed flowers look lovely! The rain has put paid to any chance of a butterfly here but like you I have lots of bees all over the place, especially on the Roses which are covered in Aphids.

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. Lots of showers here forecast now for ages. Went out yesterday and didn't see one butterfly!

Amanda Peters said...

Lovely blog post, you do have such a good range of flowers which look to be doing so well, it's so nice to look round your garden.
Your old family photos remind me so much of mine, going on holiday then was such a special time.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much. Family holidays then were an occasion and we always went for two weeks.