Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 13 June 2020

A Brief Walk at Temple Balsall



D was on leave last week so, as it was fairly dry on Tuesday, we went for a drive out to Temple Balsall with the idea of going for a walk. I didn't park in my usual place by the school and church as I wanted to avoid school run time and, as leaving times are I think staggered I couldn't be sure what times they would be, so I used the car park by the Natural Burial Ground and Cemetery. I picked Temple Balsall because in the week you never normally see a single person. Unfortunately it was busier than usual with 3 cars parked and we saw other walkers and cyclists. Thankfully all but one who we passed in the lane were in the distance and there were a few cyclists gathered in the car park when we returned.








Information Boards - some of you may remember I paid several visits to the natural burial ground last summer when it was just one huge wild flower meadow buzzing with insects.








Wild Strawberries









In the end we decided to walk past the cemetery and along the lane.
















I've been trying to identify without success these pollen covered beetles which at times seemed to be "fighting". I saw several of them on umbellifers so they must be fairly common. If anyone has any idea what they are I would love to know.

Edit - Thanks Dean. A species of Sawfly.









A Hoverfly I still haven't identified.









This hoverfly is I think Eristalis pertinax - Tapered Drone Fly







*D

D spotted a catepillar in the hedge.

Edit - thanks Dean - a Yellow-tail moth caterpillar

*D


*D


Grasses - I think the first may be Meadow Oat Grass?
















It was a lovely walk and so good to be back in the countryside. Everywhere looked reassuringly "normal" apart from Covid 19 signs in many places warning of keeping the 2 metre distance and a few people wearing masks.


I drove back through the lanes and managed to park when I spotted what looked like a badger run. There opposite the run in a wood were signs of a badger sett. Hopefully active and it was certainly the highlight of my day.





I hope everyone is staying safe and well.




*D Photos taken by D with the Canon SX50 HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera



14 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

How wonderful to get out for a walk. I wish I had your confidence. It must have been a shock, though, to find the other cars on a normally isolated area. I ventured off my drive to take something to my neighbour. We socially distanced, I stayed on the pavement, but was shocked that the one passer by didn't even step off the narrow pavement and almost brushed against me. That's why I don't leave my drive!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you - I have to admit I was very nervous and apprehensive and I certainly can't see myself going to a garden centre or shop! I was also shocked at how many people were around! Usually in the week (and even at the weekend) it can be deserted there. Countryside round here generally is a lot lot busier than usual :( What a pain about your passerby :( OH and son walk daily locally and they have had a lot of incidences like that :( Some people just don't seem to get it :(

Punk Birder said...

Glad to see you finally ventured out Caroline.
The caterpillar is a Yellow-tail Moth and i believe the pollen covered Flies are a species of Sawfly.

Rosie said...

Lovely photos it must have been great to be out and about again and it sounds as if you organised this well even though there were more people about than expected. I'm getting messages from places now that are opening again soon like Wildlife Trust sites and RSPB too as well as National Trust at Biddulph Grange (by timed appointment only) I won't be visiting just yet and won't be visiting any shops yet either, although we may go and visit a couple of friends and sit in their garden for a while to have a chat in a week or so. Great to see the badger run and signs of a sett. Stay safe and well:)

Ragged Robin said...

Dean - Thanks so much for id help. That is wonderful :) I did wonder about one of the sawflies to be honest so at least I was along the right lines. Thanks again.

Rosie - Thanks so much. Yes it was good to be out. I took the view there would be less people in a country lane than walking locally! Like you I notice Wildlife Trust Sites, NT and EH are slowly re-opening by pre-booking and limited numbers and only gardens and parkland. I too am not keen to go anywhere like that atm.If my daughter has to go back to work though I might feel a bit different. Stay safe and well too.

Pam said...

It's surprising how many people are out during the week, I suppose those furloughed or even working from home (if they can get away with it!!) are out finding places they never knew existed, I know that's been happening here! Lovely for you to get out though, just that small walk will do wonders :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. I think possibly people are searching local countryside places to walk as parks so busy??? I was amazed today seeing all those shopping centres and Primarks heaving with people! It does make you wonder why they are not at work as many on furlough may have gone back now! Planning a churchyard visit soon I think.

Caroline Gill said...

What a lovely walk, RR, and how good to see those umbellifers with insects (and then the badger sett on your drive home). It does seem very tricky to work out where to go if one is to avoid contact. I am 'shielded' to 30 June, and have actually been quite glad to have a reason to stay put... though I keep hoping more butterflies will come to us! I wasn't outside all day, but I only saw one Meadow Brown. The weather was wonderful, so I mustn't complain too much!

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. It was good to get out but even so rather an anxious experience. I have never seen so many people in the local countryside! I haven't seen any Meadow Browns yet. Yes the weather has been amazing for most of lock down although it is too humid for me this week!

Amanda Peters said...

Looks lovely out, very lush and green. With everything going on we forget nature is still moving on while we've been stuck at home.

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely walk. I need to learn more about insects - just "know" a few by sight. Better with butterflies and envious of all the different Skippers in your area.

Butterflies have been a bit sparse so far but this week we saw Ringlets and Meadow Browns, which had hatched recently.

We scarcely see anyone on our walks round here, which is good! Keith and I are Shielding - he just walks up the hill but Tam and I venture further. I still need to build my walking fitness back up to 5 miles plus after several weeks on Pollen Lockdown!

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks - I love that area of countryside. Sadly, this year,in my view we have missed the best 3 months i.e. April, May and June :(

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Getting some insects to species level can be very difficult!!!

I am hoping for more butterflies next week when it looks dryer and hotter.

You are so fortunate to live in an area sparsely populated and to have countryside walks on the doorstep. This lock down has made me realise even more that I want to live in a far more rural area where I can be in the countryside all the time! Hope you get your walking fitness levels back up soon. Walking wise 5 miles is about my limit!!!!

CherryPie said...

This looks like a delightful walk. So many natural treasures to see along the way.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - it is one of my favourite local areas :)