Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Recent Reading, Garden flowers and This and That


Recent Reading

Horrors of Horrors! I seem to have reached the last in the Nikki Galena series. I enjoyed this book as much as the rest of the series. I do hope Joy Ellis writes more but in the meantime I will try some of her other books.



I treated myself to the hardback version of this book because I do love Mark Cocker's books. This is a collection of short essays on nature mainly in the area around Claxton in Norfolk. The author has a way of making you observe nature more closely and seeing the magic and wonder of every wildlife encounter.



A friend bought me this book for my birthday. It is the story of a year on the island of Easedale where the authors live. The illustrations are just beautiful and if you loved "The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" you would enjoy this. A book to keep and treasure.



A second hand purchase on the village of Water Orton, North Warwickshire bought from "Books Revisited", Coleshill. I will explain below why I picked this out of my pile of books to read.



Good to see Maisie Dobbs back on form in this super book. Sadly, I think I have only a few more in this wonderful series to read.



I bought this little book in view of our static caravan purchase in Herefordshire. There are some lovely walks many not too far from where we will be based. The walks range in length from a few miles to around 6 or 7 and there are details given of churches, houses, castles, viewpoints etc on each walk. Not sure if I could manage the longer walks these days but there are plenty of shorter ones to choose from.



Flowering in the Garden


I spotted this wildflower growing in the front garden last year and now another one has appeared in the back garden. I think it is probably Canadian Fleabane



Sowthistle also sprouting up on the patio!



Bergenia



Callicarpa berries - I bought this shrub because I had read that Blackcaps love the berries. I haven't seen a Blackcap yet but live in hope!



This is one of those mystery plants that I bought at some stage last year and never planted out. I have a feeling it may be a clematis - perhaps "Winter Beauty"???




Winter Jasmine flowers always brighten the garden at this time of year



Pot Marigold or Calendula



I was late planting this cardoon out last summer and it never flowered. Sometimes they overwinter successfully and flower in the second year and thankfully this plant looks quite healthy at the moment.



Primulas



Wild Primroses are also flowering



Buds on the white Camellia




Some of you may recall that B, at D's request, took some cuttings from a rose in mum's front garden last November. The good news is that out of the five, three are sprouting little shoots so fingers crossed they have rooted.


This is particularly good news as last week I did what I said I wouldn't and drove past mum and dad's old house. The estate agent had said the buyers who have not moved in yet were planning to gut the house and rebuild and massively extend. Not much sign of the rebuilding apart from two double glazed windows being installed upstairs but the front garden has been flattened. So mum's rose and all her valerian and lavender plants which were full of butterflies, bees and hoverflies in the summer have gone. I do not now intend to drive past again!



My son and I went a drive out to Water Orton last weekend to check out the exterior of a couple of houses for sale I had spotted on websites. As you may recall I have talked of moving but it is problematic at the moment with both D and E still living at home. I have stopped looking further afield such as Isle of Wight but still keep an eye on houses for sale fairly local. Sadly, the house with a tower has now disappeared completely so I assume the sale went through.

The houses for sale were located in the older part of Water Orton which was originally called "Overton" of "Settlement on the Tun". As we drove along Old Church Road I spotted in a churchyard this old preaching cross known locally as "The Old Rugged Cross". An Old Chapel was built nearby in 1346 followed by a Chapel of Ease in the 18th century. However, the chapel has now been demolished and a new church was built in the late 19th century on a new site.



This is one of the houses I had gone to have a quick look at. Not sure if we will ask for an internal viewing as B who is the one pushing for a local move has not mentioned he wants to see more.





On Saturday D and I went in search of a Cheese and Ale Barn which used to be based in the courtyard at Middleton Hall but moved a few years ago to Lichfield - the Curborugh Countryside Centre which is a collection of renovated barns full of independent shops. I spotted this Purple Emperor badge in the Antiques Centre and could not resist buying it!




For the last couple of years I have been collecting replica pilgrim's badges and this St Thomas Becket token was a Christmas present bought from the Canterbury Cathedral online shop.




A pomander orange I made for Christmas - a simple idea but it fills the room with Christmassy scents.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

14 comments:

Amanda Peters said...

Great post, loved the books and so nice to see some flowers coming through. Lovely photos.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much Amanda :) Always good to see a few flowers in the depths of winter.

Pam said...

You have so much going on in the garden! I am definitely getting one of the Callicarpa plants if only for the amazing purple berries! We do get the odd Blackcap in fact I had a female eating the Cotoneaster berries the other day - first time i've seen any bird eating them! What a shame about your parents house, I remember the same happening to my Great Grandmas garden, I still have to go past now and again.

I've added the Island book to my wish list!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I have the Easedale island diary too. It's a lovely book. I wonder if your strange visitors have sown in your garden from bird seed mixes?

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. We've had overwintering blackcaps in the past but not since I bought the callicarpa!

So sorry to hear about your Great Grandmas garden :( Enjoy the Island book if you buy :)

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I never thought about the bird seed mixes but you could well be right as it is a non native species.

Rosie said...

Glad some of the rose cuttings have taken especially as you have seen what the new owners have taken away from the garden. You have so much to look forward to this year with your new holiday home and all the lovely places around it that you can explore. You have some lovely colour in your garden especially the Callicarpa. The Joy Ellis books that don't feature Nicky Galena didn't seem quite as good to me although she does occasionally appear to help in the Jackman series. The last Maisie Doobs book I read seemed to tie up lots of loose ends so I suspect there won't be any more. I read the second Anglesey book and it is very, very blood thirsty with too many killings. I won't bother with anymore. This was the first Christmas I didn't make pommanders in a long time and I've missed their festive fragrance around the house:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much :) Really am hoping the cuttings will keep growing - letting my husband deal with them as I am not very green fingered! Yes, looking forward to the caravan although still waiting for the estate to be finalised but so relieved I don't have to worry about the house anymore.

Will try a Joy Ellis to see what I think mainly because I already have one on the Kindle! Sad if there are no more Maisie books but I suppose there comes a time when every series has run its course. Thanks for the warning re: the Anglesey books - may wellnot bother. I don't like anything too gory or graphic!!! I did just make the one pomander and as you can see I don't put too many cloves in! I think in reality the orange should be totally covered!!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cheery post, thank you. I like Mark Cocker's books too so will investigate this one.

It was so good to see all your flowers, don't they make you feel good?

I love your butterfly badge! I collect the 'bird pins' from the RSPB, trouble is I have no more jackets on which to display them!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much for your kind words :) It is good to see a few flowers - I may go in search of snowdrops soon.

I was rather chuffed to find the butterfly brooch :) I have some of the RSPB bird pins too - all in one little box :)

Caroline Gill said...

Happy belated new year, RR! Belated because I came down with shingles, affecting my eye, on Christmas Eve, so have only been online fleetingly. A lot better now, and I couldn't resist commenting on two of your books: Claxton because I grew up a couple of miles down the road and often went to church there. The church had (and I hope has) a beautiful rush-matting floor, though I'm wondering if the 'rushes' are actually reeds! I have heard Mark Cocker speak on, I think, three occasions and always enjoy his observations. The other book was the Easdale one: we visited the Slate islands briefly on one Scottish holiday and would love to go back with more time at some point. My abiding memory is of the contrast between the darkness of the slate and brightness of a prolific yellow wildflower... wish I could recall what it was!

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much and a happy belated new year to you too although I am so sorry you have been poorly - I've not thankfully had shingles but I understand it can be painful and very pleasant. I am so pleased you are feeling a lot better as Christmas is not a good time to go down with an illness so really feel for you.

It must be wonderful to know the area of which Mark Cocker writes so well. I do love his books although Crow Country is my all time favourite. I would love to hear him speak. Not sure I am correct but did I read he was moving to Derbyshire????? Perhaps I am imagining it but I will ehck.

That must have been a super Scottish holiday - visiting the Slate islands. I love your abiding memory and can just visualise it - hope the wildflower name returns :)

Wishing you a continued and speedy complete recovery. Take care Caroline.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Oops just spotted a typing mistake I of course meant unpleasant not pleasant when talking about shingles - forgive me!

CherryPie said...

The book of walks sounds interesting especially as the routes take in churches.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - some of the walks look great :)