Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 24 January 2020

A Few Photos from Coleshill



Last weekend D and I popped to Coleshill mainly to visit the secondhand charity book shop there.

I usually try and park in Church Hill which used to be the market square and then we walk past the church.

St Peter and St Paul - Coleshill Parish Church - built in the 14th/15th centuries.



War Memorial


Grotesques






Remains of Preaching Cross









Old Bank House which is Late Georgian









Books Revisited - the bookshop we visit about once a month.



Queen Anne House which is late 17th century and has a tympanum above the door decorated with flowers, swags and foliage.





Then a cup of hot chocolate and a biscuit in Costa. My cake eating days are likely to be limited for a few months as a blood test for cholesterol levels revealed it was just over 5 (I knew having such a blood test just after Christmas was a bad idea!). I have to have another blood test in 3 months so cakes will be limited for a while!!!










Early 18th century Swan Hotel once a coaching inn.




A few purchases made at the bookshop - I rarely come away empty handed!!!






All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


Reference: "The Buildings of England Warwickshire" by C Pickford and N Pevsner

10 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

You got my attention at Second Hand Charity Bookshop! Looks like a lovely copy of Farmer Giles of Ham. Bother to the cholesterol test, post Christmas is rather a tricksy time for that. Hope it reduces for the next one. The preaching cross has certainly seen better days, hasn't it?

CherryPie said...

We have the Shropshire equivalent of the tea shop walks book.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. It is a good bookshop :) I used to have Farmer Giles of Ham but I think it got culled in the last book clearout and this looks a great edition :) Result was a pain as usually well below 5 :( Had phone call from doctor's receptionist to say cholesterol was a "bit high" and dr said do you want to go on statins! She had no idea what "a bit high" was and I said I had no intention of going on statins. Blood pressure high too atm :( so had to see nurse about that and she said cholesterol was 5.2 and gave me a diet sheet so I will have to be good girl for a few months! :( lol re: the preaching cross - not a lot left!!! :)

CherryPie - Thank you - hope you have some good walks in your book :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

It used to be the normal Cholesterol was 5.5! then they decided it was 3.5. I have had really high Cholesterol and it is now a lot better but still worst than yours, However I now take organic beetroot juice every morning and research shows that that will help lower it and I believe it has. I have told quite a number of people about this and all of their Cholesterol has lowered. That certainly might be worth a try. Research it and see for yourself but it is NOT an instance things. I love the look of the Old Bank House. Many thanks for all you previous comments, I appreciate them all. Recently I have been too busy for any commenting although by scheduling in my posts I am still able to post daily. Have a wonderful weekend.

Rosie said...

Coleshill looks such a lovely place and the added attraction of a bookshop must make visitng an extra pleasure. the church and other buildings are lovely. The green moss colour on the grotesques gives them an extra eerie edge especially the dragons/bats? Hope you can get your cholesterol reading lower before your next test. At our blood testing centre they don't do the 'fasting' test anymore so we have to be careful what we eat a few weeks before them. P has heart probelms in his family and I have strokes in mine so we always go for the checks just to be safe. Great to see the spring flowers outside the shop. Have a lovely weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Birding for pleasure - Thanks so much for the organic beetroot juice tip re: cholesterol. The nurse at my drs seemed to think it should be below 5. But who knows - like blood pressure they seem to keep lowering the limits :( I will research the beetroot idea although I have one problem in that the only food I don't like is beetroot!!! Don't worry if you don't have chance to comment - I find at times too life is hectic and I can't comment as much as usual.

Rosie - Thanks so much. Coleshill is a lovely market town - the grotesques and gargoyles on the church are all rather marvellous - not sure if dragons/bats either - probably a hybrid species!!!! Yes, best to be safe re having levels checked from time to time. I hadn't heard about the "fasting" test - but I was told not to eat or drink anything after 10.00 the night before but I thought that was for the kidney function test? Not sure now! I will make sure the next blood test is before Easter and not after!!!!!!!!

Midmarsh John said...

A couple of really evil looking grotesques there.

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh - Thank you. You ought to see the gargoyles! even more evil looking. I have posted photos before but when I next do a post on Coleshill I will include them again. They are gross!!!

Pam said...

I am totally behind visiting somewhere just for the bookshop :D Hmm what a shame about the cholesterol, is there such a thing as low fat cake?!!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you - we did it again last Saturday and visited Kenilworth for its two bookshops - one an independent selling new books (purchase made!) and one secondhand (no purchases!). I am currently researching low fat cakes!!! Swiss Roll has no fat as such although you would have to leave out the cream and just use jam!!! :)