Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 28 December 2019

Recent Reading and Peter Pan



I hope everyone has had a lovely Christmas.

I haven't done a book post for a while so here is a list of books read recently.


I am really enjoying the Joanna Piercy series of books.



I had been waiting patiently for this book to come out in paperback and when it did I ordered a copy from a bookshop that will remain nameless. But when I went to collect it the assistant had ordered the hardback. This put me in a bit of quandary as I often chat to her about books and I did not like to make a fuss for this reason so I came home with the hardback! Anyway it really is an excellent book and even more fascinating due to Willoughby's connection with Middleton Hall which I have visited in the past and written blog posts on. Highly recommended but please note the paperback is now out!




I love Betty Smith's books on Warwickshire and this was as interesting as the others. It was a second hand purchase as the books are, I believe, now out of print.



This was another second hand purchase and if you are interested in medieval times it is an interesting read with some beautiful medieval illustrations for each animal.



I do enjoy the Midsomer Murder books although I do find it takes a few chapters to get into the book as Caroline Graham adds a lot of detail. I will read the entire series and then look into the possibility of watching some of the tv series which I missed.



The book on churchyards is a very good introductory read to the history of churchards and cemeteries and tombs/monuments.



This series is great and I am pleased to see that there are a lot still to read. It is the type of book I find I can't put down and it didn't take me long to read it!




I enjoyed this book and at times it was very funny but I did find it the type of book that I could only read for a small amount of time at any one sitting.




Last weekend D and I went to see Peter Pan at Birmingham Repertory Theatre. It was a modern take on the book and we both really enjoyed it. The special effects and sets were also very good.



We had really good seats only about four rows from the front and I was delighted to see that there was a little screen below the stage with "sub-titles" of the play narrative. I think I have mentioned before that my hearing is not brilliant (still haven't gone into getting a hearing aid!) and I do struggle to hear at the theatre so I found this idea really helpful. I am not sure if it will be used regularly but I really do hope so as it would make a real difference to people like me with poor hearing.

We had a our usual delicious Veneziana pizza with polenta chips beforehand at Pizza Express and it was a lovely afternoon out with Centenary Square in Birmingham City Centre looking very festive.






10 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I always enjoy seeing what others are reading. My reading has slipped since not being well but I must pick up again. How difficult having the wrong cover ordered, for the difference in price alone! It is not easy to tell someone they made a mistake for they could be stuck with a book, and independent sellers have enough of a struggle as it is. I would love to see a stage production of Peter Pan, especially with a pre theatre meal!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you so much. I like seeing what people are reading too and it so often gives ideas of authors to try. I hope you can pick up on your reading soon. It was annoying and difficult about the book - perhaps she ordered the right one and they sent the hardback in mistake? But I hate complaining and making a fuss and as mentioned it was ordered by a lady who I often chat to which made it more difficult! Since my son stopped getting free theatre tickets we don't go so often as it is expensive so it was extra special to go back to a theatre we love.

The Quacks of Life said...

happy christmas :)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete and the same to you :)

Rosie said...

Some excellent books on your list. I've just downloaded the latest Joanna Piercy book onto my kindle and am looking forward to reading it. Peter Pan sounds good plus the pizza first as well. I haven't been to the theatre for a couple of years (and we always used to go quite a bit) because I'm worried about not hearing so to know that the production you saw had subtitles is good. I was issued with hearing aids when I was diagnosed with tinnitus but struggle with them as they make the sounds of everyday life so intense and don't seem to help with soft voices on television. I struggle with sudden noises as it is - a child's scream, coffee machines, scraping chairs, loud shouts and laughter - that wearing a hearing aid in say the high street or a coffee shop becomes unbearable. Anyway, best wishes to you and your family for the New Year:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much - hope you enjoy the latest Joanna Piercy book.

The hearing problem is such a pain - so sorry about you having problems too. I suspect mine are worse atm as they need syringing but GP's apparently no longer offer the service and you have to pay a small fortune to get it done at a big Boots branch :( My family are on at me to get hearing aids but I feel I would find I had the same problems as you and would never wear them because I suspect they just make everything louder and would drive me round the bend. I wish all theatres had the same thing as the Peter Pan sub titles - I might contact the Rep and see if future productions might use the same little screen. It did mean I missed some of the acting but at least I knew what they were saying!

Best wishes to you both too for the New Year :)

Pam said...

The Willughby book is on my wish list and i've not read a Peter Robinson but I do have one of his books on my to read pile that i've picked up from somewhere! I ended up doing a little second hand book shopping a couple of days before Christmas, picked up a Gerald Durrell and The Lost World by Conan Doyle, both books I read in my teens!

I hope you've had a good Christmas and have a Happy New Year:)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. Hope you buy the Willughby book as I found it fascinating. Also think you will enjoy Peter Robinson. Oh yes! I read Durrell and Conan Doyle in my teens too. I haven't read it for a while but I must have read My Family and Other Animals half a dozen types at least :) I have an omnibus of all the Sherlock Holmes book and his other stories which I read when pregnant with my first child along with an H G Wells omnibus. My son (my first child) has read both recently :)

Thank you and yes have had a good Christmas - hope you have too and Happy New Year to you and your family :)

CherryPie said...

The book on churchyards looks interesting.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you and yes it was very good although quite short but there again it is not very expensive. A good buy.