Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 6 December 2019

Christmas Tree Festival at St Nicholas, Curdworth



First of all an apology to Pam, ToffeeApple and CherryPie as I accidentally deleted your comments on a previous post. I am not sure how I did that to be honest so I really am sorry.


I do enjoy going to see Christmas Tree Festivals as they always get you in a Christmassy frame of mind so yesterday I went with B to St Nicholas Church Curdworth to see their trees. It was a dull and gloomy, drizzly type of day but the church was warm and the admission fee included a glass of mulled wine (or tea or coffee if you preferred) and a mince pie.








There was a lovely selection of trees in the church each with a different theme.


"Victorian Christmas"





"Hark the Herald Angels Sing"




"Santa's Workshop"



"The Mad Hatter's Tea Party"




"We are Homemade"



"We are all Stars" - made by the Juniors at Curdworth Primary School



"Our Parish Heroes"



"Treasured Memories of Loved Ones"



I forgot to take a photo of the label of this one but I think it was the Marie Curie tree.



"Lego Tree", "Keeping It Simple" and the"Hat Tree"



"Peace on Earth"




"Sweet Treats"



"The Journey of the Three Kings"




"The Gardener's Rest Tea Room"



"Table Tennis"







"Faith, Hope and Love"



"Waste Not, Want Not"




"Little Ladies Pom Pom Tree"



Again I forgot to take a photo of the label


Curdworth Pre-school tree





My favourite tree was probably The Mad Hatter's Tea Party as I do rather like Alice in Wonderland themes but I also thought the Waste Not Want Not tree was a very clever theme as we all try to live more sustainably. Do you have a favourite?


Sorry no photos of Timothy - I am ashamed to say I didn't take my usual backpack but only a purse and camera so he got left at home :(


Will hopefully attend another Christmas Tree Festival at a local church which is normally locked and I will take him along then!


I will do a short second post on St Nicholas in a few days as it is an interesting church with a rather superb Romanesque font and restored 15th century wall paintings.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

11 comments:

Pam said...

This looks lovely, I think I liked the tree outside (!) and the one you thought was the Marie Curie one best though i'd enjoy wandering around them all!

Don't worry about the comment!! :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. Yes, the one outside was good - the most natural :)
Thanks re: the comment! Unfortunately I get that many anonymous spam these days that I mark as spam I have got out of the habit of automatically pushing publish tab and for some reason I must have pressed delete :(

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Yes I prrfer the more natural trees

Rosie said...

What a super festive post. The trees look wonderful and very imaginative. Like you I like the Alice in Wonderland and the Waste not Want not ones, also the frivolity of the pom pom ladies, like the Three Kings one too. What a good idea to add mulled wine and a mince pie to the experience. Have a lovely weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Birding for Pleasure - Thanks Margaret. I do like real trees - we have one in a pot in the garden we sometimes put in the porch but I do get upset at trees without roots that will just die.

Rosie - Thanks so much. I liked the pom pom ladies one too - lovely to see the old fashioned style of pegs :) Have a lovely weekend too :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I love seeing all the interpretations and creativity. I think I like the Alice in Wonderland too {it was the theme for a skirt I designed!} and I like the idea of mulled wine or tea on arrival too.

The Quacks of Life said...

ooh that looks good.... I saw a few trees today at Wimpole!!

BTW if you like BBC History Magazine this is there podcast https://www.historyextra.com/article-type/podcast/

I listen to it in the car on my phone!

Midmarsh John said...

A great variety of ideas. Very effective. Love the dolly peg figures.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Your skirt sounds wonderful :) Mulled wine, tea or coffee and mince pie was included in entrance price of £3.50. I don't mind paying as money presumably goes to charity or upkeep of the church :)

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. Look forward to your blog post. Keep thinking I ought to visit Packwood or Baddesley to see house dressed for Cmas until I remember last year I went twice to Packwood and timed tickets had gone both times!! You still can't book in advance :(

Thanks so much for info re: BBC History magazine - my son has it and I read also so podcasts sound brilliant. I will tell my son about them too :) He likes to listen to stuff as he tries to get to sleep - usually Radio 4 but podcast would be something different :)

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much. I liked the dolly pegs too - took me back to my childhood and my mother pegging out washing! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't mind being deleted - I probably didn't say anything worthwhile anyway!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much - I still feel bad about it as I really don't know how it happened - probably distracted by OH rabbitting on as usual! I always look forward to your lovely comments :)