Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 18 August 2018

Butterfly Walk at a Wildlife Friendly Farm



Last weekend we returned, after an absence of a few years, to the annual Butterfly Walk at Wild Hollowfields, Worcestershire.


I cannot praise this farm enough every single one of its 250 acres is farmed in a way that is sympathetic to wildlife and various historic features. A wild flower meadow has been created using local seed and a wet meadow containing plants of botanical interest has been allowed to regenerate naturally. Hedges are managed on a rotational basis to take account of the requirements of various butterfly species particularly the rare Brown Hairstreak. Scrapes have been created to encourage wading birds such as Snipe, Curlew and Lapwing. The farm is regularly surveyed and has recorded 80 species of bird. Wide field margins (as you will see from some of the photos) are sown with wild flower seed mixes which include Knapweed, Birds-foot Trefoil and Horseshoe Vetch.







After meeting other people attending the organised walk, being shown a Poplar Hawkmoth trapped the previous night, and being offered coffee and biscuits we set off on the walk.


(Sorry the butterfly photos are not brilliant - I am finding it difficult to get macro shots of butterflies with the Panasonic Lumix unless I can get really close - which as we all know is often difficult with insects!.Sadly my son decided not to take the Canon bridge camera so I hadn't even got his photos to fall back on.)




We saw the first of many "whites" near the entrance to the farm and then the very second butterfly we saw as we turned into the lane was the rare Brown Hairstreak.



Brown Hairstreaks (Theola betulae) also known as Ash Brownies are the largest species of Hairstreak in Britain. Unfortunately, long term trends show the species is undergoing a severe decline. One of the main reasons for this is the unsympathetic farming practice of removal and flailing of blackthorn in hedgerows which destroys the overwintering eggs of this butterfly. (I hasten to add this does not occur at Wild Hollowfields).

Brown Hairstreak are a UK BAP (Biodiversity Action Plan) Priority Species. There is just one generation a year with adults emerging in late July/early August. They live in colonies that tend to breed in the same localities year after year. The occur in habitats where Blackthorn, the main larval food plant, is abundant. Adults will take nectar from blackberry flowers, Devil's Bit Scabious, Hemp Agrimony, Hogweed and Ragwort and the adults will also feed on honeydew and sap. Eggs, which resemble tiny sea urchins, are laid on the bark of Blackthorn usually in a fork in the branch in sheltered areas exposed to sunlight. Larvae undergo a partial development and then over-winter in the eggs which makes them vulnerable to hedge trimming as the eggs are laid on the youngest growth. Caterpillars emerge from the eggs in Spring and following the first moult they will hide in the day in a silk pad on the underside of the leaf only emerging at night to feed. They pupate amongst leaf litter or the base of a plant after the third moult.



It was such a thrill to see this beautiful and charismatic butterfly.




Sloes on the abundant Blackthorn as we walked along the lane.




This Ash is believed to be the "master" tree where adults congregate in the canopy to mate and feed on aphid honeydew.





We then walked through fields with wide wild flower strips which were full of insects.



Many butterflies were seen - here a Brown Argus


The search for butterflies continues.


Common Blue






Speckled Wood


Elderberries are ripening in the hedgerows.



I saw several of these unusual plants but I am not sure of the species.


Small Copper


Grasshopper - we saw dozens of these.






Another Small Copper on Common Fleabane




Common Blue - this would have made a lovely photograph if only I could have got closer!











After walking for a couple of hours and seeing a super selection of butterfly species we went back to the farmhouse for scones, cream and jam :)


Many thanks to the very knowledgeable, friendly and enthusiastic GC who led the walk and also to the lovely owners of Wild Hollowfields for their wonderful hospitality and determination to look after wildlife on the farm. It was so lovely to meet you all again. I appreciate that not every farm will qualify for Higher Level Stewardship but it is so encouraging and uplifting to have the privilege of being able to walk around a farm like this and see how sympathetic management can encourage wildlife and increase biodiversity.




There was an interesting article in a recent edition of "The Comma" (the West Midland Butterfly Conservation magazine) which documented the amazing spread in range of the Brown Hairstreak in Worcestershire.

This species was only re-discovered during the winter of 1969-70 by the late Jack Green who spotted eggs in a hedgerow in the Grafton Wood area. This was the first record of Brown Hairstreak in Worcestershire in 79 years. In Jack Green's book on Worcestershire butterflies published in 1982 he gives records of the species in three 10 km OS grid squares although exact locations were not given.

Most records of the butterfly refer to the discovery of eggs during the winter as it is a very elusive butterfly rarely coming down to ground level and most of its time is spent in the canopy. It is, therefore, easily overlooked and possibly under-recorded. 30 years ago the butterfly was still only recorded in the Grafton Wood area.

Following the setting up of stewardship schemes on farms in the area which included the protection of blackthorn hedgerows from flailing along with rotational management of hedges, the Brown Hairstreak slowly started to spread its range away from Grafton Wood.

By 1996 it had been recorded in five separate 1 km squares and by 1997 it had been recorded in ten 1 km squares. There has been a steady annual increase in range and by the time of the 2016/17 winter it had been recorded in 215 squares which is a phenomenal success story. It is difficult to gauge the reasons for this spread but farm stewardship schemes will have helped and it is also possible that climate change may have contributed. The species may have been under-recorded in the past.

Current knowledge of its distribution is due to a small group of volunteers who turn out weekly in all weathers during the winter to conduct egg searches in Worcestershire hedgerows.





On the way home we stopped off at the picturesque village of Feckenham to buy the papers.







Just a few better!!!! photos from our visit to the farm in 2014.


Small Copper

*D

Common Blue

*D

Brown Argus

*D

Common Blue

*D

*:D - Photos taken by my son in 2014 with the Canon SX50 bridge camera

We were lucky enough to see a Brown Hairstreak on this walk too but sadly not on the walk in 2015.


Taken by me with the Olympus e420 dslr with 70-300 lens



Reference: Article in the Spring 2018 edition of "The Comma" the Regional magazine for West Midland Butterfly Conservation entitled "Streaking Ahead - a Worcestershire Success Story" by Simon Primrose, pages 4-5.

25 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is really encouraging to hear of farmers like this, who include the natural patrimony of their area in their decisions as to how they farm. And they prove time and again that environmental stewardship and profitable farming are not mutually exclusive. I applaud them in the deepest way possible. They have my profound admiration. I hope their is some way to recognize their dedication and exemplary citizenship.

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you. They have my profound admiration too especially when you compare this wonderful farm with some of the sterile ones I have seen. It is so uplifting to see all the work they do not only to help Brown Hairstreak but increase biodiversity overall. I agree so much that they deserve much recognition for their hard work and determination.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that auto correct ran rampant again. It should of course say “there is some way” and not “their is some way” in my comment above.



Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Would love to go and do something like that! Lovely butterflies, lovely shots

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne. Not to worry - similar things happen to me too :)

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thanks Simon. I am not really a lover of organised walks but I have really really enjoyed the 3 we have attended at that particular farm and you can learn a lot. Bat walks can be good fun too - have been on a few of those when my children were little.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Wonderful to have had an organised walk around that arm that is so conscience of the wildlife in its area. Loe y images of the bitterflies also. Have a wonderful week ahead.

Rosie said...

Sounds like the farm owners are doing everything they can to encourage and help wildlife. It's is also good that they are willing to share what they are doing with others by holding the walks. Glad you enjoyed your day on the farm, all your photos of butterflies are wonderful:)

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Adamson - Thanks so much Margaret. Look forward to seeing some of your IofW images. Have a great week.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. The farm also do a dawn chorus walk which B and D are keen on attending next year. May be a bit early for me though and sadly these days my hearing has deteriorated and I struggle to hear bird song :( Whenever I visit there I come away inspired and wish all farms could be like that.

John Scurr - Thank you and special thanks for help with flower id. I had Burdock in mind but when I looked in flower id guides it looked different now I know why when you mention the flowers are midway between flowering and drying out. The heads were big so I suspect it as Greater.

Interesting to read of your Lumix - I have spoken to someone else who tends to agree if you are at a distance you can't get closer on zoom without it blurring. Re-assuring it is not just me doing something wrong! May try changing the focus to single point on the offchance that helps. Such a pity my son didn't take the Canon as you can seem to zoom in from a distance with that one. The macro setting (zoom and otherwise) is very good if you can get very close with the Panasonic but insects are not keen in the main on you getting that close to them!

Bovey Belle said...

I have a Panasonic FZ70 and apparently that is really good at macro shots, but I am still learning my way with it (though I've had it a couple of years now). Trouble is, all the "how to's" are on the computer (this laptop doesn't have a disc reader) and that's no good when you're out and about!

LOVELY post though and good to see so many butterflies (that Argus is one I've never knowingly seen).

I agree that the ?? plant is a Burdock.

What excellent stewardship on that farm. If only more were like that. We have one smallholder locally who cuts his hedges from JUNE onwards (illegal I believe) and they are all in love with their flails for hedge-cutting. We have left our hedges to grow into trees in the top field and paddock, with just one strip of cut and laid hedgerow which is trimmed each autumn. So hopefully good habitat for overwintering butterfly eggs, though the weather is against the poor creatures normally. This was a brilliant summer but not many about because last summer was so dire. There's never a happy medium.



Midmarsh John said...

A great selection of flutters. Looks a lovely place to visit.
On focusing v zoom I think they are all the same. My pocket Nikon behaves in exactly the same way.
I assume the designers assume if you are using zoom then you will be some distance away from the subject.

Pam said...

What a fantastic place and how great they are farming with the wildlife if mind if only others did! I've seen so many hedgerows trimmed back :(

Your photos are lovely, I know what you mean about struggling to get the closer up photos sometimes but as the Butterfly Conservation people noted once on some of my photos on twitter that it's nice to get a better idea of the habitat the butterfly is in when you have the wider shot :)

Rosie said...

I undersand about the hearing loss:( I have it too plus tinnitus. I have hearing aids but don't wear them as they seem to make the outside sounds worse - chatter and music in restaurants, screaming children and squealing van and lorry brakes, people shouting are all disconcerting. I find it hard to hear some birds but others I can hear quite clearly - we've had a tawny owl calling late the last three nights and collard doves cooing too:)

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. I am still learning with the camera too - I did buy a guide to it as I find that easier than learning via computer but it is finding the time to go through it!!!

Brown Argus very similar to female Common Blue but there are a few differences but unless you get a good view (not always easy with butterflies!!!!!) can be hard to distinguish.

Well done on doing your bit with your hedgerows - why are farmers so intent on cutting everything down :( Hollowfields and another farm nearer to us both under Higher Level Stewardship are superb examples though of what farmers could do.

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much and for comments re photographer. TBH I never found the Canonmuch better but somehow my son manages it perhaps I should have let him have a go with the Pansonic!!

Pam - Thanks so much. If only more farmers could be like Hollowfields then we wouldn't have such a huge decline in so many species!

Thanks so much for passing on the comment from Butterfly Conservation - very re-assuring and I will remember that next time! :)

Rosie - Thanks so much - glad to know I am not alone! I suspect I have tinnitus too as sometimes I can hear a noise which sounds like the smoke alarm going off when it isn't or a ringing!! I really should look into hearing aids but I am put off by the thought of problems you have experienced and I remember my mother-in-law had one and it was constantly buzzing and beeping!! I am worst when there is a lot of background noise or people whisper and for tv dramas I have to have the sub titles on! With me it is high pitched stuff in the main I can't hear but like you I can hear doves cooing, cuckoos and the tawny owl on the clock we have that gives a bird song every hour! I did wonder about going privately in the hope you could get a hearing aid more suited to your needs but haven't really looked into it as I assume it would be rather expensive!! Oh the joys of getting older!

The Quacks of Life said...

really well done with the Brown Hairstreak

Ragged Robin said...

Pete Duxon - Thanks so much. I was very hopeful of seeing a Clouded Yellow (and beating you to our little challenge:) ) as one had been seen a few days before on the farm. But it was not to be!!!!!!!!........

Anonymous said...

This post has made me so very happy. To know that there are still farmers who care about wildlife is so uplifting. Thank you Caroline.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - thank you so much - so glad you enjoyed the post so much - as you say it is very uplifting :)

CherryPie said...

It sounds like you had wonderful day out. It is always frustrating when you feel that your photos are not as good as you hoped they would be.

I enjoyed your photos and your post.

Amanda Peters said...

Great post with wonderful photos, a joy to read.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie Thank you and it was frustrating but it is also difficult when lots of other people are trying to get pictures and you wait your turn and then don't like to go to close in case you scare the butterfly away for others who are still waiting! I should have taken the Canon really - it copes better in those situations.

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much Amanda - it is a farm you would enjoy too :)

Caroline Gill said...

I don't quite know how I missed this post, but guess it was due to my fall. WHAT a treat of an expedition! I would love to see a Brown Hairstreak one day. We are fortunate enough to have Green and White-letter in one of our two Local Nature Reserves, and I have managed to see each of these varieties. We were at Wood of Cree in Scotland in July where there are Purple hairstreaks, but despite our efforts, we failed to see one. Just googling 'hairstreak butterfly', I am amazed to see the variety of these exquisite and often bijoux insects we have across the globe. What exemplary practice was shown by the farm who organised your walk.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. The farm is so inspiring and such a change to see one that looks after wildlife!

I've never see Green or White-letter Hairstreak :( Although I was hopeful of seeing the former when we went to Ryton Woods and Pools earlier this year but it was not to be! Purple Hairstreak are very pretty - we usually get distant views of them up in the canopy but one did once come down to the ground a few years back at Oversley Wood and I saw one this year at Fermyn Woods. The diversity of butterflies worldwide is just amazing - perhaps one day I should get a passport! :)

Rohrerbot said...

Fantastic!!! This is so beautiful! What a wonderful walk. Yes. Butterflies are hard to get pics of but you did great. They are all so beautiful! And finding a rarity is always exciting! Congrats!

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thanks so much Chris for your very kind words :) Yes it was a good walk :)