Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 24 August 2018

A Trip to Oxford (Tolkien Exhibition) and a canal walk





We all went on a trip to Oxford on Monday to see a free exhibition at the Bodleian Library on the works of J R R Tolkien.








I'd worked out routes to two side roads in the area where D and I had managed to park on past visits. Sadly, there were no places but luckily we found a place by the Natural History and Pitt Rivers Museums.




Although the not so good news was that parking time was limited to just two hours - I am sure it used to be longer. Still it would be long enough to view the exhibition and perhaps have lunch.





I loved the brick work on this building.



An interesting looking garden behind gates.



Oxford is the city of bikes although it would appear




they aren't welcome everywhere.




Whenever I see a door in a wall I wonder what is hidden behind.



Two of the colleges.





Plants in walls not looking very healthy in this dry summer.



More bikes!!



Some of the carvings on buildings are amazing - I would so liked to have had more time to explore.











And so to the exhibition........... unfortunately photos were not allowed inside such a shame as I would have liked to show you some of the exhibits. I assume it may be due to copyright???







Despite the timed tickets the exhibition was busy but if you bide your time and are patient you can view all the exhibits. My favourites were the sections on the Father Christmas letters and the original illustrations from The Hobbit.


Blackwells, a wonderful bookshop, had a large display of Tolkien books.





Timothy enjoying the sights of Oxford




When D and I were last in Oxford we had a superb meal at The White Horse but this time all the tables were taken and as time was limited we couldn't afford to wait which was disappointing.


The history of the pub is interesting - and there is a connection to Morse the TV series.



A few more pictures of this area of Oxford.









We saw several Horse Chestnut trees that looked as though they were suffering from infestations of the Horse Chestnut Leaf Miner - an insect pest first reported in the UK in Wimbledon, London, in 2002. It has since spread throughout much of England, into Wales and there has been one confirmed sighting in Scotland. The presence of many larvae can damage leaf tissues.Although it causes much damage to the foliage on an annual basis it does not significantly impair the overall health of the tree.






We decided to return to the car and go in search of a country pub for lunch in the nearby village of Kidlington. E using her phone found a canalside pub that was serving until 3.00 pm.








And, oh look! - yet another Morse connection!





I must admit it was not a tv programme I used to watch but I am considering perhaps trying one of the books.


Lunch was very good.







Before leaving we went a short walk along the Oxford canal.





























I must admit I did buy rather a lot of souvenirs - well it is not every day you get chance to buy Tolkien "memorabilia".







By sheer coincidence on D and I's past two visits we were in exactly the same area of Oxford. So if you would like to see more photos of the Colleges, Library, Pitt Rivers Museum and trilobites please see here
and here





And finally, sorry lots of photos again! a few photos from my son

*D


*D


*D


21 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s good to see so many bicycles; many people are getting some healthy exercise, it seems.

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you - I have never seen anywhere with so many bikes as Oxford.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

I would love to have seen that exhibition

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thank you. It is on for a few months yet but I appreciate Oxford is much further from you than me. It is a shame about the lack of photos as I would have loved to share them especially for those who can't go.

Ian said...

Most enjoyable tour of Oxford to bring back memories of our visit there and we had a good pub lunch at the King's Arms shown in one of your photos.

Ragged Robin said...

Ian - Thanks so much and I am so pleased it brought back lovely memories. I will remember the King's Arms if we return to that area :)

Pam said...

I used to watch Morse years ago when it first started but i've only ever briefly passed through Oxford, it looks like a fascinating place to visit. I must confess i'm not a Tolkien fan :o although I can imagine seeing the exhibition was fantastic!

The Horse Chestnut outside my work has this leaf miner, I remember looking it up a couple of years ago when I noticed all the brown leaves.

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. Oxford has so much history and wonderful architecture though if possible it is even busier than Stratford!!! The exhibition was very good - I do love The Hobbit, Lord of the The Rings and The Father Christmas letters are charming but I did struggle a bit with The Silmarillion and even more with Unfinished Tales!! The films I thought were very good although I am so glad I had read the books several times beforehand. I can never read the book after seeing the film or tv series :(

I've been noticing a lot of Horse Chestnuts with leaf miner round here too. Once you have spotted it you see it everywhere!!!

CherryPie said...

Your photos remind me of my visit to Oxford a couple of years ago. Familiar places viewed from a different (photographic) perspective. It is a shame that you had to rush due to car parking restrictions.

The country pub you found for lunch looks just perfect and relaxing.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.My son and I have explored that area quite well in the past - we probably should have used park and ride!

The country pub was a real find :)

Rosie said...

Looks like you had a lovely day out. I must admit I've never read any Tolkein but it looks like a great exhibition. I always buy a souvenir or two as reminders of visits to special exhibitions too,last one was a couple of things at the Ravilious exhibition in Sheffield. I've been to Cambridge many times over the years but have only visted Oxford once, I remember the book shop and the Museums. Nice to find the 'Morse' locations and the pub by the canal looks good:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It is always nice to buy a souvenir - I usually buy a fridge magnet and some post cards/guide book but I did go a little OTT at this exhibition! :)

I haven't been to Cambridge since I was a child and it is another place I would so much like to re-visit. I think I will try the first Morse book and see what I think.

Caroline Gill said...

What a wonderful day, RR, even if the parking was tricky. We spent the first few weeks of married life in Oxford, but it seems a long time ago now! How lovely to have the chance to visit the Tolkien exhibition - and to buy some souvenirs. The food looks excellent, and Timothy seems to be having a lovely day-out and a chance to sport his smart new jumper. Cambridge is only an hour or just over away from us: we had an action-packed day there last week, with morning in the Botanic Garden and afternoon in the Fitzwilliam Museum.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much Caroline. Oxford must have been a lovely place to start your married life - our wedding seems a long time ago too - 40 years this year!!!

It sounds as though you had a superb day out in Cambridge - I must check out how far it is from us though quite a bit further than Oxford I suspect! When we used to visit Oxford and Cambridge when I was a child I always preferred the latter!

Anonymous said...

You packed a lot into that day. Oxford looked remarkably free if tourists, or is that an illusion?

I can heartily recommend the Morse books, there are just thirteen I believe and they are so cleverly written by Colin Dexter. I read all of mine every two years or so.

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, RR, for your reply, and for your comment on W&W. Your 40th is a huge and wonderful milestone ... we are seven years behind! As for Oxford/Cambridge ties, well, I have extremely divided loyalties, particularly since I have lived in both, worked for a university college in one, taught EFL in both ... and studied elsewhere! If you ever find yourself with transport in the Cambridge area, I think you would love (the wildlife and landscape at) NT Wicken Fen, particularly in the summer.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much. Oxford looking quite tourist free is a bit of an illusion :)

Thanks so much for your recommendation of the Morse books - I am getting to the end of several series I've been reading so looking for new ones. Will definitely try Morse.

Caroline Gill - It is hard to believe it is nearly 40 years - where did they all go to!!! I remember years ago celebrating mum and dad's 40th and they seemed so old!!! :(

Cambridgeshire is a place that I am hoping we can visit for a short break as you say there is so much there. I am keen on visiting Ely too - will have to check how close locations are to each other.

Rohrerbot said...

Oh my gosh! I really loved this post. I'd love to go see the Tolkien exhibits! Your food looked delicious and I too wonder what's behind those doors. Our eyes shift to Britain soon for birds. I think I would love Oxford. Sometimes you just have to wait in that traffic but I think it was well worth. The river boat looked fun too!

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thank you. I thought of you when I was at the exhibition as I know how much you love Tolkien. Such a shame photos were not allowed :( Ooh! Do hope you can come over here. Yes, Oxford is lovely although very busy as a major tourist destination.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You found the one part of Kidlington that looked ok, I always though the place was the pits and the church nice as it is a pain to get to.Did you visit Tolkens grave, that was not looking good when I saw it a few years ago

Ragged Robin said...

Billy Blue Eyes Thank you. I think my daughter found the pub on her phone. That part was nice. I didn't go in the church not easy when with the family asa they don't like church exploring!