Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 26 July 2018

Packwood House Gardens









I always try and visit the gardens at Packwood in mid-late July to see the herbaceous borders, raised terrace and kitchen garden. E wanted a lift to Solihull last Friday as she was meeting a friend for lunch so I agreed to take her and pick her up afterwards which would leave me 30/40 minutes at Packwood itself.









Herbaceous borders near the shop








When I arrived in the Walled Gardens there were dozens of butterflies mainly various species of "whites" although I had already spotted a Ringlet. I did think of doing a big Butterfly Count which has just started but soon realised that there were that many whites flitting about I wouldn't have time to id and count them and take photos so I abandoned the idea. Trying to get photos of butterflies was difficult at you can see from this image - it was too windy even if the butterflies did stay still.



Herbaceous Borders in the Walled Garden









Every year I am stunned by the beauty of the Raised Terrace - there are so many different species of perennial and it is just delightful.


































The pool in the Sunken Garden - there were just too many people about to get any other photos. Much as I love Packwood and Baddesley Clinton they are always teeming with visitors.










The Kitchen Garden where I love to see the companion planting with flowers alongside fruit and vegetables.













Does anyone know please the identity of the plant in the photos below? - two colour varieties shown.





Echinops at NT properties always seem to attract more species of insect than the plants I have at home!



Before I left I treated myself to a Verbena Bonariensis to replace the one I lost in the garden last Winter.


10 comments:

Rosie said...

How wonderful all those borders are. The walled garden and the terraces look beautiful as does the kitchen garden. I'm glad you got to visit even for so short a time which in hindsight was probably a good thing if it was so busy:)

Caroline Gill said...

I'm wondering, RR, if those purple flowers are Statice? Are they the ones you often see dried? The word Stachys came into my head - and that, of course, wasn't right at all, but it led me to Statice. I'm no horticulturalist, but others may know. What a lovely place to visit - the butterfly situation you describe reminds me of what we found at NT Belton Hall in Lincs. on our journey south from Scotland some weeks ago (wow, I'm so behind with posts still!) ... lots of whites, all very active. But we also had Small Torties and the occasional Meadow Brown. Gatekeepers had a couple of good days here in our Suffolk garden over the w/e, but now the (admittedly white) Buddeia is in flower, we seem to be back to just the occasional white, largely Small Whites. Commas were doing well at Flatford last weekend, but Peacocks and Red Admirals seem in short supply.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much - the gardens at Packwood are a dream at this time of year. Always busy there sadly but there again I can hardly talk as I am one of the visitors! If you walk further from house and gardens it does get quieter though!

Caroline Gill - Thank so much. Oh yes - I think you are right - now I think of it I have something similar in a dried flower bouquet I bought at Tewkesbury Abbey (which now is so old it needs replacing but you rarely see dried flowers for sale these days). I may have to order some online unless we return to the Abbey! :)

It is so interesting to read of your butterfly sightings. I don't think I have seen a Small Tortoiseshell this year at all and few Peacocks or Red Admirals. Gatekeepers were plentiful too in the garden a few weeks back but now only seeing one at a time. For some reason rarely see Meadow Brown in the garden although I did have a rare Small Copper sighting this morning. Plenty of "whites" seems a good year for them. Holly Blue and Speckled Wood are doing well again in our garden this year.

Amanda Peters said...

How wonderful is this place, very similar to were we went last night for grand borders and stunning flower beds.
Have to admit come away overwhelmed some times as I would love to have a more eye catching garden, but find it a bit to much.
Love the building (House) and the borders leading up to the front door. Photos are stunning of all the flowers, the gardeners do a great job of mixing the flowers(colours) and grasses.
I think roses have done so well this year, not as many greenfly I think. Have been looking out for a climbing rose like the one you have photographed, and I really need to have a terracotta stand in the garden.
Lovely post RR
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much and for taking the time to leave so many comments.

Yes I get overwhelmed too when I return to my own garden and would love to make changes and have less lawn and far more herbaceous borders :) Trouble is OH who would do all the work tends not to agree! Best thing really is just to enjoy what you have at home and try and make it as attractive to wildlife as possible.

Sadly, I missed the roses at Coughton Court this year (another gorgeous walled garden!) but where I have seen them they were doing well. Would like a climbing rose here too - we do have climbers like hydrangea and clematis and ivy but only dog roses as a hedgerow.

Ragged Robin said...

John Scurr - Thanks so much. The Coleus house reminded me of the auricula theatre I have seen at Calke Abbey. Will check when I go in a different season if they do use other plants and post a picture. The fertiliser maker I loved - so clever :) Packwood is particularly good late July/August although to be fair the gardens there are always good.

CherryPie said...

Oh you have captured the gardens at their best and it looks like there weren't too many people around to get in your way.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - sadly it was busy and I often waited a few minutes to get pictures minus people!

CherryPie said...

Your patience led to your lovely photos :-)

I too, often have to be patient and wait for a people free shot.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - cars and people can cause problems when taking pictures!!