Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 7 May 2018

Ryton Woods - in search of Bluebells





*D

On Sunday we decided to go to Ryton Woods in search of bluebells - it is one of our favourite places to see them.

Ryton Wood, a Warwickshire Wildlife Trust Reserve, is semi-natural ancient woodland and is one of 8 large woods that together make up the Princethorpe Woodlands. The site covers 85 hectares and it has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). Parts of the wood have been dated back to the 11th century and the land in the location may have been woodland since the end of the last Ice Age. Existence of small-leaved lime stools gives evidence to support this as this was the most common tree five thousand years ago but is now very infrequent. Large ditches provide evidence of the wood's medieval borders. Oak is the dominant tree species with hazel forming the main understorey with birch, field maple and ash trees also present.


We parked in the Wildlife Trust car park as this part of the woodland is quieter than the area at the other side of the wood that is adjacent to Ryton Pools country park.



There is a choice of paths - you can select one to walk round the perimeter of the wood but



we chose to walk along the main ride which eventually leads to a path that goes to the best area to see bluebells.




A good place to sit and watch wildlife.






The ride in many parts was very wet and muddy and I was feeling rather smug as I was the only one wearing an ancient pair of cheap wellies I leave in the car. However, the smugness soon wore off when I realised they had split and were letting in water!


Timothy - the only one with dry feet (paws).




We branched off on the path that leads to the bluebells - sadly, it was even wetter and muddier than the main ride so we retraced our steps and


and took a path that looked drier! Sadly, it wasn't but it did eventually reach the perimeter path and we were able to make our way back to the car.




We spotted an active badger sett with fresh excavations of soil. It is such a relief to know that badgers living in these woods will be safe from the unscientific, inhumane and uneconomic Government badger slaughter policy which may well be extended to Warwickshire this year. Wildlife Trusts are against the badger cull and no animals will be culled on their land.


We did see one clearing that was full of bluebells.








Wild flowers seen on the walk included

Yellow Archangel (one of my favourites),


Primroses,


Bugle,


Greater Stitchwort,


Wood Anemone,


White Dead-nettle,


Lady's Smock (or Cuckoo flower) together with


Lesser Celandine, Ground Ivy and Germander Speedwell.

Butterflies spotted included Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Orange Tip and several unidentified "whites".

Apart from Wood Pigeons, Blackbirds, Blue and Great Tits, there were few birds around although to be honest we spent most of our time looking at our feet and trying to find the driest way through the muddy and wet parts.


We decided to drive over to the country park as it is much closer to the main area of bluebells.



Cowslips on a bank in the distance.


We stopped for an icecream first.



I was impressed with what I saw of the country park and it may be worth exploring when it is not a hot bank holiday and it is quieter. There are pools and it is close to Warwickshire Butterfly Conservation's Ryton Meadows reserve which I would also like to visit.





We took the path to the woods -

A bank of violets.




We came across a Toad and saw it safely across the path.


*D

*D

Finally, into the woods yet again - luckily it was not as wet or muddy this side!











*D

*D

*D


Eventually the bluebells - so hard to photograph especially in bright sun - a camera just cannot do them justice.










*D





As we left the woods we heard a cuckoo calling - a perfect end to the afternoon.






*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50 bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 (I wish in some ways I had taken my Olympus dslr as I am still trying to get the hang of exposures on the Panasonic and also the best way to take close-ups of flowers).

12 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It seems to me that wet, soggy feet was a small price to pay for the pleasure of walking through this sylvan glade, beautiful in itself, but leading to that enchanting array of bluebells. I can only imagine the sense of tranquility gained from such an experience, and it would measurably reinforce your bond with nature. But maybe it’s time to invest in a new pair of wellies!

Glasgow Birder said...

Beautiful photos Caroline. I've yet to capture the Bluebells here on my camera.

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you and yes it was worth the soggy muddy feet! Few sights can beat a Bluebell wood in Spring and it is the perfect way to forget your troubles, recharge your batteries and commune with nature! :)

Luckily, have a second pair of green wellies but will buy another cheap pair to leave in the car :)

Dean Stables - Thank you. I hope you can capture some bluebells by you - I always love the magic of your wild flower pictures :)

Caroline Gill said...

What a lovely place, RR, and such wonderful weather. The toad looks magnificent and I'm glad s/he traversed the path in safety. What a perfect time it is for bluebells: we admired the ones at Minsmere over the w/e, though I felt the 'sea of blue' was smaller than previous years. Time for a new pair of wellies, I guess! My favourite part of the nature reserve (Carlton Marshes) we visited yesterday was fenced off because, as I understand, it is under too much water. It is the part of the reserve where we have seen Burnet moths taking wing in good numbers on previous occasions. Another lovely morning today...

Pam said...

Aren't the Bluebells stunning, well worth the walk! They seem to be everywhere at the moment. Shame you couldn't savour the moment with the wellies!!

Rosie said...

What a wonderful walk! I'm so glad you finally found those bluebells, we've been back twice to our local bluebell wood but they are not yet fully showing that vast carpet of blue that we all love to see. Shame about the wellies, my last pair let in water on a walk so I had to buy new ones, it's a good idea to have some of those lighweight ones always in the car:)

Glasgow Birder said...

Thank you for your kind words Caroline. They've just started flowering up here so i'll give them a whirl.

Amanda Peters said...

What a lovely day out, I am surprised it was still wet and muddy. The Bluebells look lovely, I think most of the wild flowers have caught up now and we are having a very varied display. It looks a great place to visit at other times of the year.
I heard my first Cuckoo today.. funny how you hear it in your head, you say cuckoo. Then you relies what you have just heard is a cuckoo! or is that just me !! (might have been out in the sun to long).
Lovely post.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you. We were a bit worried about the toad as there were bikes, dogs and pushchairs everywhere. Shooed him into the deeper grass at the side of the path! To be honest I should have remembered that that reserve can be wet and reminded everyone to wear better footwear than office shoes and in the other case sandals!!!!!!!!!! Glad to see you have been enjoying bluebells too - we used to go and see them at RSPB Nagshead Forest of Dean but Ryton Wood is a lot closer!!

Pam - Thanks. I am noticing bluebells everywhere too :) Luckily my feet not as wet and muddy as the others!

Rosie - Thank you. I hope your bluebells reach the carpet of blue stage soon. I should really have taken the better quality green ones but as you say I always keep a pair in the boot just in case!

Dean Thank you Dean. Look forward to your photos :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I hope Timothy {who looks handsomely resplendent in his scarf, btw} refrained from laughing {as small bears seem to want to do} at your wellibob misfortune?
The bluebells are stunning, and today I came the closest I've ever done to seeing a bluebell wood on my woodland path to Mum's respite 'mansion'!

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah O'Brien - Thank you. I suspect Timothy was sniggering somewhat to himself although he was not impressed with me failing to remove the scarf on such a hot day! :)

Glad to hear you came the closest ever to seeing a bluebell wood on your woodland pah to visit your mum. Hope she feels a little better soon if she has been poorly.

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much Amanda. I think parts of the wood are quite marshy hence being so wet. I agree it would be good to visit at other times especially autumn although we have only ever gone in May.

Ha ha! re: hearing a cuckoo because that is exactly what I think. Is that real or am I imagining it? B and E were way ahead of us but I called back to my son did you hear the cuckoo? and he confirmed he had!