Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 10 October 2016

Baddesley Clinton - Part 1 - Dahlias


A few weeks ago, just after the break in Yorkshire, B and I went along to Baddesley Clinton for the afternoon. I always try and visit in September to see the superb display of dahlias.


Baddesley Clinton (National Trust) was the home of the Ferrers family for 500 years. Most of the house seen today was built in the late 1500's by Henry Ferrers, a lawyer, diarist and antiquarian.






























I'll put a few more photos of the Walled Garden along with the scarecrows in the Kitchen Garden in a second post.

8 comments:

CherryPie said...

Wow!! What a fantastic Dahlia display.

I enjoy visiting Baddesley Clinton but I have not visited in the autumn. I need to so that I can see this glorious display!!

Thank you :-)

Pam said...

Don't the Dahlias look stunning!

Ragged Robin said...

Cherry Pie - Many thanks. Well worth visiting Baddesley Clinton for the dahlias - we went on 22nd September and as you can see they were still flowering well! Every year the display is just superb! Not sure what they are like now though!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much - yes they were a total delight :)

Wendy said...

Baddesley Clinton looks a very interesting place. The colours of all those dahlias must be quite striking. I'm looking to plant some more here - I'm looking for the ones the bees love.

Ragged Robin said...

Wendy - Thanks so much - yes, I do love going to Baddesley Clinton. I am not one usually for showy bright flowers but I do admit I like dahlias - they remind me of my Dad who used to grow lots. I think the bees prefer the one's that look more like zinnia's? I don't think the pom pom ones are good for reaching nectar but I may be wrong. When I do Part 2 will try and find a zinnia type to show you in a photo. If I didn't take one this year I will nick one from a previous year's visit!! to show you what I mean :)

Anonymous said...

One of my most favourite places on Earth. The dahlias are amazing!

Ragged Robin said...

Countryside Tales - Thanks so much CT :) So pleased you loved it so much.