Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 18 November 2012

Quick Trip Out


For one reason and another I haven't had chance to get out much recently. Hence lack of posts! I did pay a quick visit to the RSPB Middleton Lakes Reserve on Friday.




There was a White-Rumped Sandpiper on the North of the Reserve but as it would have taken me an hour to walk there! and I only had an hour to spare I had to forego the chance of what would have been a "lifer". There were a couple of Fieldfares feeding on berries at the start of the entrance track to the Reserve. I spent a while walking through the woodland - some beautiful Autumn colours.


Then I spent half an hour watching the feeders by the Heronry. A couple of Brambling had been reported feeding earlier that week. Sadly, they failed to appear when I was there but there was plenty of activity - Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Chaffinches, Blue Great and Coal Tits, Greenfinches, House Sparrows and Robins. Unfortunately, the feeders were too far away for me to get any close shots with the 70-300 lens.


Highlight of the visit was a flock of Redpolls (presume Lesser) feeding on alder seeds.

I have been regularly checking berry trees and shrubs in my local area due to the influx of Waxwings. No sightings so far but I live in hope!! We had a Goldcrest foraging in the garden earlier in the week - my first garden sighting this year and its been back again today :)

I've just planted some pots for the patio with winter flowering pansies, violas and wallflowers to provide some winter colour and an early nectar source.



6 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Hi there stranger!:) This time of year is crazy. I'm trying to stay on top of everything but I'm failing in my efforts:) So you're not alone:) I just think there is too much going on....

I hope you find the Waxwings. Same situation here. They're reported in the area but haven't seen them yet. When the palms start fruiting in midwinter, they will be drunk all over the place with their Robin friends. Looks like a wonderful and reflective walk from your pics. And my thoughts are always, even if you don't find a lifer, you still had exercise and some "you" time;)

I've been working on my lifelist with great vigor now. I decided to take the weekend off to work out in the garden because I need to reconnect with the plants again. Summer is over and now it's time to play with the plants:) Have a good start to your week!

ShySongbird said...

Hi Caroline, I'm glad you were able to get out with the camera for a while. I know how difficult it is at this time of year with the weather and the light, quite apart from other commitments. There was certainly plenty of activity at the feeders. I was so busy admiring the GSW on the feeder that I almost missed the one on the other side of the photo!

How lovely to have a Goldcrest in the garden. I saw some on a walk earlier this afternoon and one was really close and posed beautifully and just as I was about to press the camera button a woman and her dog appeared....I could have cried, had I been a child I might have been on the floor having a tantrum ;-)

I'm sure those pots will look lovely eventually. Wallflowers take me right back to my childhood, they seemed so much more popular then than now, perhaps they are making a comeback, I do hope so.

Ragged Robin said...

Rohrerbot - Thanks so much for your lovely comment :) As you say there is so much going on at this time of year - feel as if I could do with 48 hours in every 24 :)

I did need the "me" time as you guessed and even though I knew I wouldn't have long there I just had to escape :)

Glad to hear the waxwings are returning to you too :) May we both find them soon!!!!

I've loved so much recently reading of your birding adventures and hearing about the new species you have seen - not too mention the gorgeous photographs.

Thanks again and have a good week :)

ShySongbird - Hi Jan Thanks so much to you too for your lovely comment. It was nice to be able to get out for a while with the camera and its lovely how much pleasure even the more "common" bird species can give - I never tire of watching them :)

I've found Goldcrest can be really confiding sometimes and you can get close so lovely to hear of your encounter but I did have to smile at the outcome - I think I too would have felt like having a "hissy" fit!!!!!I almost got a photo of the Lesser Redpolls which were in the tree above my head when some other visitors suddenly appeared and the birds disappeared!So I have an inkling of your feelings :)

I do like wallflowers as you say they are are quite an "old fashioned" type of plant. We have qot a few round the garden but this is the first time I've tried growing them in pots. They smell so lovely and hopefully the bees will like them :)

The Quacks of Life said...

nice selection of birds on the feeder. and nice to get out to some fresh air

waxwings reported in West Brom today

Anonymous said...

I have my fingers crossed that you see some Waxwings, I have never seen one.

My old Wallflowers have started to bloom again, they did it all last winter too, most odd.

Ragged Robin said...

Pete Thanks:) I didn't know there were some seen today in West Brom. I checked out a sighting in Shirley today where some were seen yesterday. I didn't have long though and couldn't even see any berries - they may have been passing through!

Toffeeapple - Many thanks. Keep your eyes peeled for waxwings on any tree or bush with berries (especially Rowan and Cotoneaster) or apples. It looks like an irruption year with loads flooding in :)

Lovely to have wallflowers in the winter :) I've still got lobelia and petunias flowering!