Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Autumn at Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens


I visited Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens one lunchtime last week and there is still much to see with a few flowers still blooming, lots of berries, autumn tints in the leaves and fungi are beginning to appear.

Melon Ground



The Gardens grow a huge variety of apple and pears from the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries and there were still displays in the Green House from Apple Day held earlier in the month.









The Green House built around 1729 from North Orchard



Lower Wilderness


North West Pier with the Lamia - a creature from Greek and Roman Mythology, half woman and half serpent, who preyed on human being and sucked children's blood.


I then walked around the Extra Gardens outside the formal walled garden



I found these Toadstools near the Stumpery. Still haven't been able to identify them although they look a bit like Clouded Funnel. If anyone has any idea I would love to know.



Back in the walled garden spindle berries are appearing in the Lower Wilderness.




There are lots of berries along Holly Walk



The Upper Wilderness






The Gardens are a good place to see Redwings in the winter months - no sign yet but I did see a pheasant fly over - a new species for the Gardens bringing the total number of bird species seen there up to 27.


9 comments:

Niki said...

Beautiful.

Bovey Belle said...

What lovely photos. I was particularly interested in the apple types as I like trying the rarer sorts (have plans to grow Pitmaston Pineapple - and other obscure types) when we move to a drier area - fruit trees get terrible canker here in Wales.

I've never seen a Redwing yet, but I live in hope . . .

Ragged Robin said...

Niki - Many thanks :)

Bovey Belle - Many thanks :) The amount of traditional apple and pear species is incredible. We haven't got any fruit trees in our garden which is one thing I do regret.

Good luck with the Redwings - lovely little birds and they love apples :)

Rob said...

What a lovely old garden. I like the look of those apples. Spindle berries are bright and interesting too.

Ragged Robin said...

Rob - Many thanks - yes, it is a lovely old garden and always very quiet and peaceful there :)

Rohrerbot said...

That's so cool. A list of 27. Each bird added is special. Do you know that seeing a pheasant for me would be a first to my list? While I saw them as a kid, it doesn't count because I need to observe behavior and listen to sounds. Birding is so much fun. And the more you do it....the more addicting it gets:)

And as for apples....I've been craving them lately and eating lots!!! I don't think there's a bad one out there:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rohrerbot - Thanks Chris. I remember how much you love pheasants :) Always on the look out for them and a close view and chance for photo to post for you :)

Birding is wonderful and you can do it anywhere. Species can crop up in the most amazing places :)

I love apples too especially with a piece of cheese :)

Rohrerbot said...

Apples and cheese sound really delicious together. I like to put that combo together in baking or a salad. Plants and birds are a great combo. The best part about birding is that I need to know the trees that they hang out in....so I get my plants and birds all in one:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rohrerbot - Yes, I love apples and cheese too - great combination :) Tree id is really useful when looking for birds as you say. Certain species feed on certain fruits or seeds :) So glad to see you enjoying your birding so much :)

I haven't been posting much recently on my blog because I seem to have little to post about - sorry! Due to a combination of circumstances really - the situation with my mum and now I am in a position where I have to do a lot of sorting out re: her finances, then when I do have a few spare hours it always seems to be raining :( and I have to admit in last few months that I am spending far too much time on Twitter!

Hopefully, I'll get more time and the weather will be better next year.