Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Moths and a Surprise Pond Visitor


I put out the moth trap several times over the weekend but with the colder nights numbers caught were negligible!

Friday 12th October

Minimum Temperature 4.4 degrees centigrade

No moths

Saturday 13th October

Minimum Temperature 0.9 degrees centigrade

Lunar Underwing x 1
One very worn moth possibly Black Rustic??

Sunday 14th October

Minimum Temperature 2.5 degrees centigrade

No moths

(15w Actinic Skinner Trap)



I was really pleased yesterday morning when I looked out of the kitchen window to see a Grey Wagtail by the pond.

Luckily, the 70-300 mm lens was still on the camera from the Red Kite trip so I was able to get a few poor record shots through a rather dirty garage window!





I thought initially this was only the second time we had seen this species in the garden but I've just checked my BTO Garden Birdwatch records and there have been 3 visits.

2004 Week 45
2009 Week 46
2012 Week 42

So the sightings have all been around this time of the year and I assume the birds were just passing through.

It just goes to show though that you never know what sort of species might suddenly decide to visit :)


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely to see a Grey Wagtail, I don't think the name does them justice really.

Rohrerbot said...

That is one beautiful bird Robin!!!! I would love to see that one in my garden:) Nice shots.

I smiled at your "dirty windows" comment. That's happened to me as well on occasion. Beautiful bird!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - I was well chuffed! They are lovely birds :)

Rohrerbot - Yes, they are lovely looking birds :)

Must try and make myself clean some windows in case we get some other surprise visitors!!!!!(If I leave them long enough husband usually gets that fed up he does them himself :) )

Tricia Ryder said...

Ooh how lovely to have such a visitor... great to grab a shot regardless of a dirty window :D

Ragged Robin said...

Tricia - Thanks! I am just so glad I looked out of the kitchen window at that particular time :)

ShySongbird said...

What a wonderful visitor to have in the garden Caroline!!! I can't imagine ever seeing one in mine, of course a pond would help ;-) Maybe a Dipper next?

Dirty windows, I have a houseful of them!

Re. your previous reply: yes I was thrilled about the Observer letter but am starting to think they are hellbent on going ahead whatever anyone says :-(

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - Many thanks - its certainly one of the more unusual species to visit!! Ponds or a birdbath certainly seem to make more species visit.

I am ashamed to say I can't remember when I last cleaned a window (very slovenly!!!!). If I leave them long enough husband gets so fed up he does them :)

re: badgers. I think you have hit the nail on the head with your last comment. I can't see a u-turn on this issue. I am not sure legally what happens at the parliamentary debate next week if MP's vote against the cull. I will have to do some research to see whether they can go ahead regardless.

Jerry said...

Yes I've found it a rather disappointing year for moths in general. I'm so hoping they will do a lot better next year if we get some more reliable weather!!!

Ragged Robin said...

Jerry - Moth numbers, as you say, so low and also butterfly sightings poor in the garden - the lowest I can remember :( Joining with you in wishing for better weather and year next year!