Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 8 October 2012

Moth Numbers are Falling


Cooler overnight temperatures are leading to far fewer moths in the moth trap.

On Sunday morning I found just one Large Yellow Underwing and two Lunar Underwings.

Minimum Temperature had dropped to 3.7 degrees centigrade.

Lunar Underwing



I put out the trap again last night - Minimum temperature 6.1 degrees centigrade but again I caught just Large Yellow Underwing and Lunar Underwing.

What I am really hoping for is a rather gorgeous moth with the delightful name of Merveille du Jour. Have never caught this species but I live in hope!

2 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Our numbers are dropping here as well. It's getting cooler and so are the moth spots:( I was still hoping for the Hawk moth but I may have to wait until next year. Enjoy them while they last.

Ragged Robin said...

I got a nil trap over weekend and only 2 the other night. Haven't yet checked this morning! Good luck with a Hawk Moth if there is still time. I haven't caught any this year but have had just two different species in the past!