Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 22 February 2011

More Signs of Spring in the Garden

I went a walk around the garden this afternoon looking for a few more signs of Spring.

The first photo shows an azalea that my daugher bought me for Mother's Day several years ago and which I have to repot each year as it grows so well in the summer that it quickly outgrows the next pot size. The plant is actually in the porch as I bring it in to protect it from frost in the winter and it has been flowering for weeks.



I've wanted to plant some hellebores (lenten roses) for years and finally got round to purchasing one a week or so back (a Valentine's Day present for husband!) which is waiting to be planted in the garden.

Helloborus niger



Finally, here's a few photos from the garden (they're not very good as yet again its another dull, gloomy day and the light was very poor).

Buds are forming on the rhodendron



and camelia



There are more flowers on primroses



and the forsythia is just starting to flower.



Viola



I keep hoping for a sunny, brighter day so I can visit Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens to see the displays of snowdrops and winter aconites and take some photos.

Finally, spotted my first greenfinch in the garden this year this morning bringing the garden 2011 list to 22. Dunnocks are engaging in territorial/courtship displays and, after an absence of several weeks, the male great spotted woodpecker has started to visit the feeders again although there is still no sign of the female.

I'll be dusting down and re-assembling my moth trap soon although last year I started putting it out at the beginning of February and didn't catch my first moth until 21st March!

No comments: