Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 25 February 2011

Spring Flowers at Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens

It was such a beautiful, warm, spring-like day yesterday that I couldn't resist going to Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens for an hour at lunchtime.

There was a lovely display of snowdrops in the Lower Wilderness and Spinney.












Winter aconites were starting to flower







Daffodils are in bud - there will be a lovely display in the North Orchard in a few weeks time.





Cyclamen and snowdrops by the Spinney and South Pond



Lungwort

I think this plant is very pretty and it really attracts bumble bees. I bought a plant from the Gardens last year and am hoping it has survived the cold winter weather - you might know I've forgotten exactly where I planted it in my own garden!



Crocuses





Hellebore (Lenten Rose) - most of the hellebores were still in bud but there will be a pretty show in a few weeks time.



Primrose



North Pond - home to Great Crested Newts



The South Kitchen Garden has been dug over ready for this year's planting



Hazel Catkins (Lambs' Tails)



I saw several buff-tailed bumble bees (my first for this year) feeding on nectar from the snowdrops.

Birds seen included magpies, carrion crows, wood pigeons, long-tailed, great and blue tits. Two new species for the Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens Bird list I have started to compile were a male chaffinch and a sparrowhawk being mobbed by a crow.

No comments: