Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday, 14 August 2026

Kenilworth Castle


Last week B wanted a lift to a pub to meet friends for lunch so D and I dropped him off and carried on to Kenilworth Castle.  As expected it was busy there but at least we managed to park fairly easily. 




I will give the history of Kenilworth Castle for any new readers but if you have read my blogs on the castle before I would skip this bit.

  • The first castle at Kenilworth was built in the 1120's by Geoffrey de Clinton (The Royal Chamberlain) who had been given the land by Henry I.  He built the Great Tower (or Norman Keep) and also founded Kenilworth Priory nearby.
  • In the early C13th King John added an outer circuit wall and built a dam to retain a large lake. The castle was now well defended and withstood a siege in 1266.
  • John of Gaunt, son of Edward III, built the Great Hall and its apartments.
  • C15th Lancastrian kings visited to hunt and Henry V built a retreat at the end of the lake called "The Pleasance in the Marsh".
  • In 1563 Elizabeth I gave the castle to Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester.  He turned the castle into a place where he could entertain her building apartments and a privy garden for her use.
  • After the Civil War the fortifications were removed and in 1650 Colonel Hawkesworth, a Parliamentarian Officer, turned Leicester's Gatehouse into a private residence.
  • In 1958 Lord Kenilworth gave the castle to the people of Kenilworth and it has been managed by English Heritage since 1984.












I think this is part of a Folktale Creature Trail for children.









Great Tower or Norman Keep








Queen Elizabeth's apartments




Lord Leicester's Gatehouse






We spent most of our time walking around the Queen's Privy Garden. Originally this was a private garden for Elizabeth I  created by Robert Dudley.  This was recreated by English Heritage in 2009.  The designed was based on descriptions by Robert Longham who sneaked into the garden in the C16th.  Archaeological surveys and historical research were also used to help plan the garden.














The Aviary









 






 












The Swan Tower in the north west corner of the outer curtain wall  may once have been part of C13th defence. It was perhaps altered in the C14th  and then converted for use as a small banqueting house for the C16th privy garden.




Plants in Walls - Mystery plant growing on top of the curtain wall.



























Lunn's Tower



We then went for lunch. Again we were hoping for a toasted sandwich but again they hadn't got any!  D had the last cheese scone which meant I had a fruit one!







We popped in the gift shop and I bought an English Heritage book with old fashioned traditional recipes.  Then on our way to picking up B we stopped off at the farm shop. It was good to get out for a few hours.  


Reference EH Guide Book to Kenilworth Castle

All photos taken by me and D with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).



No comments: