Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 28 June 2024

June Trip to Herefordshire



I can't believe its been around a month since I last posted. I won't go into all the details but I've had several appointments at the GP's and more blood tests concerning the ongoing saga of cellulitis. I am assured the cellulitis is slowing going and I just have to be patient until the infection has gone.

Anyway last week we finally made it back to Herefordshire and stayed five nights. 

Apologies if this post is somewhat similar to others from Herefordshire this year! I am afraid I am still finding it hard to walk far with the swollen foot and ankle so we mainly stayed local and did short walks.

The Herefordshire Oak




The Constable Tree



The Octopus Tree




D bought a new fuschia to replace the one we seem to have lost. 




We did see a few solitary bees around the bee house - I think they are probably Leaf Cutter Bees. Hopefully they will start taking leaves in to make nests.



I did see a few bumble bees while we were there but I have to say that this year seems to be a poor one for sightings of butterflies, hoverflies and bumble bees both in Herefordshire and back at home. 

I am assuming there are moths about though as one evening D and I spent a wonderful 20 minutes outside the caravan with the bat detector with three bats swooping round us and the caravan.


Timothy pleased to be back on his shelf!




Dog roses are flowering and



apples are forming.



The Fox and Cubs plant I bought last year is thriving and spreading!  I don't think B is over happy about it! He is certainly not happy about how large the teasel is and how it has crowded out other plants!






It was the Full Moon when we were there. June's is known as the Strawberry Moon.  I was hoping to see it rise but sadly that night was cloudy - typical!


One afternoon we went for a short walk through the site to buy some eggs at the Hen House at the end of the drive.  










Umbellifers galore along the hedgerow.











Plants in Walls









This is the type of container I would like to buy to grow herbs!  This was planted by the site owners for everyone who owns a caravan to help themselves if they need herbs for cooking. Mint seems to be taking over - we have that problem with our herb pots. I think mint perhaps needs to go in a separate pot.



The second day of the holiday we went into Leominster for the usual click and collect at Morrisons and stopped off very briefly in the town centre to go to the stationery shop there. There are two family birthdays before the end of the month and I needed to look for cards and present ideas. At least I got a birthday card for one birthday!

Another day we popped into Tenbury Wells for a walk and had an icecream at Mr Thoms. Not too many photos as I have been here so often in the past!











I haven't seen this bench before.  I couldn't get a photo of the whole bench as someone was sitting at the end!







The C16th Royal Oak was the main coaching house on the route from London to the North. The name is connected to Charles II who, after the Battle of Worcester, hid in an oak tree at Boscobel House.








D and I went to Stockton Bury Gardens one afternoon and I'll write about that in the next post.


Take care everyone.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one of mine or my son's I would be grateful for an email first thanks).



6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I know exactly what you mean by not being able to walk. It is so frustrating isn't it? I hope you get your cellulitis sorted soon. I don't know how long it takes to heal or anything very much about it.
I would love to have Fox and Cubs in my garden. Not sure my neighbours would be that happy, though. I'm pushing it with the Hawksbit. Never mind anything else. I thought the teasels, planted in my garden. by a friend early last year had gone. I'm happy to report they are suddenly starting to poke their heads above the other tall plants in the border. So many lovely things in this blog that I enjoy, especially looking at plants in walls, I do love to see plants in stone walls. When the ICAD two months are over I shall dig out some of my old photos of miniature ferns and so on.
Lovely to see Timothy again go out. does he go out much these days?

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. It is frustrating and now knee on same leg has swollen and is really painful - not sure why. GP says cellulitis if a bad infection can take weeks to heal.
I have tried collecting Fox and Cub seeds but never got any plants this was one plant I bought at National Herb Centre last year. We have a lot of Cat's Ear in our lawn! Glad your teasels are appearing - I think they are biennial?
Would love to see photos of miniature ferns. I love how plants can manage to get a foothold in a wall.
Timothy did come with us to Stockton Bury Gardens :)

Sal said...

Lovely!
I definitely recommend finding an old sink or two to grow your herbs. I bought two, years ago, from a farmer, and have enjoyed them so much. Last year, I bought two more from a friend who for some reason didn’t want them any longer. Those came from an old laundry. And then, lol and behold, a few months ago, my sister said, ‘ Before we throw it out, would you like our old, double Belfast sink?’ Well…what was I to do? I’ve put Alpines in it.
I hope that you are better very soon!
Enjoy the weekend!

Ragged Robin said...

Sal - Thanks so much. An old sink is a lovely idea to grow herbs and one with alpines would look super. I've seen some of the photos of the belfast sinks in your garden on your blog and they look wonderful :) We used to have one here used for growing mesbryanthemums but for some reason years ago OH got rid of it! Big mistake!
Have a good weekend.

Rosie said...

Oh, dear so sorry to hear that your ankle and foot problem is still being a nuisance. I hope it will get better very soon. Even though it is hard to get around I'm glad you were still able to escape to your caravan for a few days. The warm weather doesn't help with swollen ankles, mine has been playing up again the last few days, I have to wear the support sock for a while. The flowers in your caravan garden are looking lovely. I've never seen so many Fox and Cubs flowers as this year. Our front lawn is full of it and we saw loads on our walk yesterday. Like Foxgloves they seem to have done well this year. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I had a ultra sound scan today to check if infection has gone and it looks as though it has which is good news. But now on same leg I have a swollen knee which is very painful :( In fact worse than swollen ankles! I hope I don't have to go back to the GP's!!
I know warm weather can affect people's ankles but I don't think I have ever had that problem - touch wood! Apart from cellulitis I have had swollen ankles and feet as side effect of the bp tablets I am on but not hot weather. Hope yours are better soon.
I do love Fox and Cubs so colourful. I bet your front lawn looks lovely :)
Take care.