Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 6 December 2023

Herefordshire 2023 - November Visit Part 4: The Hop Pocket and a Trip To Coleshill

 


We made a detour on the way home to visit the Hop Pocket by Bishop's Frome. Its a nursery but there are also a number of independent shops there and a farm shop. Its a good place to look for gifts.











There was a wonderful selection of Logaston Press books.




On the Saturday back at home we visited Coleshill as there was an Antiques and Vintage Fayre being held in the Town Hall.  After a comment left on a previous post by Wessex Reiver I'd also spent some time researching Coleshill again. According to several websites there is supposedly a rare Edward VIII post box just past Packington Lane. The only one I could find in that area was a George VI postbox  although it did have a splendid postbox topper :)  I am not sure if the Edward VIII post box is located elsewhere or whether the information is incorrect.














Coleshill was once an important staging post on the London to Holyhead route and from London to Chester and Liverpool. At one stage there were over 20 coaching inns in the town and quite a few remain!





Plants in Pavements




We briefly visited the Antiques Fayre but to be honest there was not a lot of interest for us and we couldn't find the stamp stand.







All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).


10 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I think you'll have to be careful with Timothy. If he disappears again I think you will need to look in the yarn bombing! He whispered something to Treasure about Hide and Seek! EEEEEK!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much!!! lol! and EEK! I will have stern words with Timothy!

Rosie said...

Lovely photos. I'd love to wander around the Hop Pocket. Coleshill always looks wonderful and I love the photos of the coaching inns espeically The Coleshill with its large archway. A shame you didn't spot the Edward VIII post box but the topping on the George VI one is wonderful:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. The Hop Pocket is worth a visit if you visit that area. Still been trying to find out where the rare post box is without success! I think the topper made up for it almost though :)

The Quacks of Life said...

Coleshill looks nice and Leominster is a nice old town!

I tweeted you about the postbox. Have you been to Castle Frome church Nice font if memory serves.... :)

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much Pete. The old parts of Coleshill are lovely and there is a lot of history and Georgian architecture but other parts are all new build housing areas :( Leominster is great once you explore and leave the A road!
Yes went to Castle Frome church some years ago - super font (Herefordshire School) - I took David to the Sci Fi museum in Bromyard for the day and after detoured to C Frome :) Will look for tweet :)

CherryPie said...

I always love a visit to Hop Pocket.

The post box toppers are lovely. This year I haven't noticed any Christmas ones near to where I live.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much. The Hop Pocket is a great place to browse :)
Sadly, I don't often see post toppers locally. This was unusual.

The Wessex Reiver said...

Oh I got a mention :-) I'm glad my comment brought about some research and a return visit. I love old coaching inns, and the history they cover when regular transport became possible to many. I love following the routes too. Last week I drove from Taunton to Honiton on the old main road, wonderful to see the mile markers newly refurbished along the route. It would have been a real slog though for the poor horses up and over the Blackdown Hills pulling the stage.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much. Always happy to mention your blog as it is so excellent and makes wonderful reading. You should write a book! History of coaching inns is fascinating and those old mile markers. My son had been reading a book on Georgian Coleshill which he finally returned after reading.