Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 19 September 2023

Herefordshire 2023 (12) - Part 1: Hatfield

 


We came back on Sunday from 5 nights in Herefordshire.  To be honest I am so grateful that we are fortunate enough to have this refuge when we need to escape from the builders and nightmare that is next door especially as they have now started working Sundays -  against the regulations but of course the neighbour doesn't seem to think they apply to him!  Our house is a 1920's semi and in those days they came with large gardens which was the main reason we bought this house.  The latest news from next door is that they have now concreted over with huge patio areas two thirds of the garden (or the bit that isn't covered in extensions and "bungalow" :( It looks horrendous! and of course not good for climate change, the biodiversity crisis because these gardens can be rich in wildlife and flooding risks.  I am not happy but at the end of the day what can you do?

Anyway onto nicer things :)

The Herefordshire Oak seems to be losing its summer "freshness" perhaps a very slight hint of a change of colour in the leaves?


The Constable  Tree


and the Octopus  Tree - the outline now seems to be a little clearer.  I do hope  this tree doesn't develop Ash Dieback Disease as there are a lot of ashes on the site although they look healthy enough.







The hedgerows are full of berries - elder, hawthorn and blackberry.











Instead of flowering again the Fox and Cubs seems to have put all its energy into spreading!  I have had to warn B it might be just a little invasive! The poached egg plant grown from seeds has flowered although something is nibbling at them! But if they don't self seed I think B kept some seeds in reserve for next year.






We arrived  Tuesday lunchtime and did the usual click and collect Leominster.  Wednesday we went  to Hay and in the evening the bats were out and about. Thursday it rained all day and Friday we went to Croft Castle.  Saturday was rain yet again all day on and off and we came home Sunday lunchtime.  I'll do separate posts on Hay and the castle and Croft Castle.

One evening we saw a baby hedgehog on the lawn in front of the caravan.  The site has a really healthy population of hedgehogs which is good news considering the decline in numbers the species has suffered. Just a record shot it was getting dark!




Photos taken with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. (I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - Thanks)


7 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I am so glad for your sake that you do have this bolt hole to get you away from all the building that's going on at home. You've shared some lovely autumnal looking photographs of berries today. The change is definitely in the air now, and the light is changing too
I am surprised that they have been allowed to put so much concrete down next door to you. Indeed, I thought there were laws against putting so much concrete in order to help drainage.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

How good to see a hedgehog. A few years back I couldn't go out in the early morning without seeing one, but haven't seen any lately.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I honeastly couldn't have coped if we hadn't had the static caravan.
If you put more than 5 square metres of concrete at front of property you have to have planning permission but its very unclear about back gardens sadly. So not sure. I suspect he will do the same on the front garden and if he hasn't applied for pp I will email him. So bad for the environment.

John "By Stargoose and Hanglands" - Thanks so much. We have webcam footage of the hedgehogs feedng there :) We used to get them in the garden at home years ago I think there is one still around as although I have not seen it I have seen the droppings. But the population is in freefall sadly atm like so many species.

Millymollymandy said...

Great to see a hedgehog - I haven't seen one for years. It reminded me that I forgot to comment on the kitchen at Berrington Hall - I love old kitchens, but the snail recipes - OMG! Esoecially snail candy!!!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - thanks so much. Old kitchens are so good but those snail recpes - UGH!!!!!!!!

CherryPie said...

It is lovely to see a hedgehog. I miss the one that frequented our garden a few summers ago.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. I've seen hedgehog droppings in the garden at home in recent years bu haven't seen one for ages.