Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 10 January 2023

Recent Reading

 


Apart from a tooth extraction (least said the better!) I've not been out since our walk near Maxstoke so just a quick post about books I have recently finished reading.

I am continuing re-reading the Agatha Christie Miss Marple books. I read them many years ago when a teenager so I don't really remember them.  I must admit I rarely guess correctly the murderer's name!




I was really pleased to find the next Nikki Galena book reduced in price on Amazon because I so enjoy the books by Joy Ellis.  It was hard to put this book down once I started it!




I've been reading Wonderland throughout 2022. There is a small piece on wildlife either by Brett Westwood or Stephen Moss for every day of the year.  There is some lovely nature writing at times in this book and it was a highlight of my day to read that day's "offering".




If you like Jane Austen's books I think you will enjoy this one.  It is the story of Anne who, following the death of her mother and to gain an independent income,  takes a job as a teacher at the home of Jane Austen's  brother Edward.  During the course of the novel she is befriended by Jane Austen and her brother Henry. My only criticism of the book was that it seemed to end very abruptly.




Another Trevor Yorke book on an aspect of architecture. Who would believe roofs could be so interesting.  It certainly teaches you the importance of looking up at buildings.





I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


7 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I always say, wherever you are, look up. Even in the most uninteresting and boring of places the chimney stacks, the rooftops, the gable ends and more provide a wealth of information, beauty, character, history and interest of all sorts. Especially when in the sterile, plate glass fronted facades of most high streets.

Rosie said...

So sorry to hear about the tooth, hope all is well now. P had two removed a couple of months ago. Interesting reading with lots of different topics. I read the new Joy Ellis so quickly and enjoyed it. Enjoyed Godmersham Park too. Like you I could have coped with more of it. I remember reading one or two Agatha Christie books years ago. Perhaps I should try more or even re-read as I can't remember which books they were. I remember one on an Egyptian archaeological dig and the murder was done from the roof. Poirot I think rather than Marple. Talking of digs, Arthur's Seat was featured on Digging for Britain on Sunday night. Don't know if you saw it? Very interesting would love to visit if I can get close enough. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. You have the right idea about looking up and yes many high streets can be pretty modern and imho grotty!!

Rosie - Thanks so much. Sorry P had two out. I have another one to come out next Monday :( Sadly both not straightforward - last week tooth crumbled and came out in stages and one of the roots was detached! I fear the other one will be similar. No pain at time due to injections but all the tugging and digging most unpleasant!

I think I read all of the Christie books many years ago including Poirot. Not sure if I will re-read those too.

Thanks so much for the tip on Arthur's Stone on Digging for Britain I missed but will see if I can find it on iplayer or the equivalent. Can't remember which channel it is. David will love to see it too.

Take care.

The Wessex Reiver said...

What a lovely eclectic selection of books you are perusing at the moment, I like books like the chimney pots one - not an area of my expertise but I expect it is filled with amazing facts. Good to see you recommend Wonderland too, I know both well, Brett more so as we worked together for 10 years, and Stephen only lives a few miles away - Brett is possibly the best naturalist in the UK and a great eccentric. Head to the Wyre Forest on a spring day and he'll be there. That Jane Austen book looks interesting, this year I'm determined to make it to Chawton, I've wanted to go for years.

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew. The Trevor Yorke books are a great introduction to architecture.

I loved Wonderland - I haven't been to the Wyre Forest for years but we did go once in search of butterflies. Its probably time to return :) I've enjoyed several of Stephen Moss's books and I am sure I have read articles by Brett Westwood in natural history type magazines.

I'd love to visit Chawton too - sadly it is not an area of the country I know well.

The Quacks of Life said...

bad luck on the tooth!!

The problem with Marple is I get confused with the TV adaptations.

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. I had to cancel yesterday's appt to have the second one out as have a cold :( So put off for 10 days.

I'v not seen the tv adaptations of Miss Marple but I did watch some of the Shetland books on tv and got totally confused. Episodes seemed to mix all the books up and have bits of each one in each story. Tried watching Vera but gave up on those too!