Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 11 December 2022

December Visit to Herefordshire - Part 1: Leominster and the Herefordshire Oak

 

We spent 3 nights in Herefordshire at the beginning of December mainly because we wanted to visit the Tenbury Wells Mistletoe Festival on the Saturday.

The first couple of days were really foggy and cold. On the second day we popped into Leominster so a  few photos from around the town which is looking quite festive.
















I always think of Jane in the Merrily Watkins books by Phil Rickman when I see this shop.



















This is the Art Gallery where I spotted the little handmade glass suncatchers I was tempted by. I dropped out a strong hint to B and D that I would love one for my birthday.  Later we went back into the shop as B had seen some very good original paintings and he thought I might like one for my birthday.  






Timothy stayed in the warm.




A foggy Fairview - I think for the first two nights we were the only people there.





Herefordshire Oak in the fog!  Last photo was taken on the Saturday when the fog had finally lifted!









Hollyhock still in flower although I doubt it has survived recent heavy frosts.





A few photos from around the site.











We came back on the Sunday and then had to rush back on the Tuesday to drain down the water due to the very cold overnight temperatures forecast.  We had planned to return mid December but in the end decided to spend a day "winterising" and closing it down for the winter. So the next few photos were taken on the final trip when it was cold and frosty!









I'll do a post on the Tenbury Wells Mistletoe Festival in a few days.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera. ( I don't particularly rate my photos but if anyone wishes to use one I would be grateful for an email first - thanks).



6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Gosh! The Herefordshire oak is still looking very autumnal. I do like the fog. I love the atmospheric impression it gives. Loved seeing around all the shops done up in their Christmas attire. Happily seeing Timothy Snug in his jumper, keeping warm. There's a lovely shape on that Christmas tree too. Belated happy birthday wishes, I hope you had a lovely celebration.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I agree about the oak - I think when we went last December a lot more leaves had fallen. Fog was a bit spooky!! I do miss Christmas Fayres and shops - do most of my shopping online still so it was good to look round Leominster and Tenbury Wells even if I didn't go in many shops! Thanks so much for the birthday wishes and had a lovely day though quiet just the family at home.

CherryPie said...

Your oak looks spectacular in misty atmosphere.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you so much.

Rosie said...

The Oak looks very atmospheric shrouded in mist. Leominster looks so festive, I love all the little shops and see what you mean about the shop Jane may have loved. I hope your hints for gifts have been heard, it sounds as if they may have been. Glad Timothy was keeping warm:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Yes I did get the suncatcher and also the painting for my birthday and my son bought me the bat detector. My daughter bought me some lovely surprises so I had some lovely things :) I might do a post with a few pictures - it was my 70th! :( Can't believe I am that old. Physically some days I feel it but mentally I still feel 25!!!!