Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 25 August 2022

Herefordshire Again - Part 2: Dilwyn Village and St Mary's.

 

Dilwyn is another village on the "black and white village trail" although really more of a hamlet than a village from what I could see.  Again there are quite a few timber framed buildings.






This art trail looks good! Sadly I don't think I would want to be at the caravan site over a bank holiday (too busy) and the dreaded building work has commenced next door.  We have made it clear to our neighbour he will not be allowed access to our garden to put up scaffolding.  I don't think it went down at all well - he seemed to think because he had planning permission he could do what he liked and failed to understand that planning permission is not the same as rights of access!!!!! However, I am still concerned that there may be some attempt to do it without our permission especially if we are not here!!!!!







Millennium Stone









One of the many things I love about Herefordshire is that each village seems to have a church and at least one pub!









St Mary Dilwyn

The church is fairly large and mainly 13th century with an earlier west tower of c1200. The recessed shingle spire is a later addition by James Cranston 1862/63.






The War Memorial by the gate is a large stone figure of a rifleman by W G Storr Baker 1920.









I shall have to return as I am intrigued by the suggestion there is a labyrinth there which I missed!







And so into the church which was restored by G C Haddon 1866-67.  Most furnishings date from then.








Royal Arms of George III




Stained Glass in the Chancel mainly by Heaton Butler and Bayne





East Window








Censing angels



















Kneelers

















Stone Pulpit by Forsyth from Victorian Restoration.  Is it just me or am I the only one not to get excited by stone pulpits?  




The Knight's Tomb 

(sorry the photos are awful - the tomb was obscured by seating so difficult to get pictures and the light was really poor).

According to Pevsner it is a restored early C14th knight wearing a mail coif. His hand rests on his sword and the other holds a shield with a large lion on it.

An information board in the church surmises it may be the resting place of Sir Gilbert Talbot, 3rd Baron Talbot of Goodrich.  Born 1332 at Goodrich Castle he married Petronella Butler before September 1352.  He died in 1387 in Spain where he took part in the disastrous Anglo Portugese invasion of Castille by John of Gaunt.  Many of the English died from disease perhaps dysentery or the plague or perhaps from sheer exhaustion.  Less than half returned home alive.

To make way for the organ the tomb was moved in 1867 and opened.  Bones inside were apparently in a good state of preservation and the teeth complete suggesting a man at the prime of life.  He was a powerfully built man of medium height.

There is no way to be sure that it is Sir Gilbert as the lion rampant on the shield were the arms of both the Talbot and Tyrell families. Unfortunately the colour has faded which makes it more difficult to identify which family it is.











It took us a few minutes to work out how the door lock worked!



Features missed ( this is more of an aide memoire for me for when I return!)

  • Labyrinth
  • Godwin floor tiling
  • Rood Stair Turret
  • Oak Reredos
  • C14th Norman tub font 
  • Wrought iron font cover hanging on wall
  • Rood Screen top mostly from Restoration
  • A few C14th tiles
  • C13th and C14th coffin lids with foliated crosses on a wheel
  • Exterior Moated Site of Castle
  • Carved Dragons on the Rood Screen
I missed a lot although to be fair we were not there long and had only gone in because D was looking for the loo in the vestry!

On the way back we stopped off at Monkland Cheese Dairy Shop for some cheese and Mr G's barbecue sauce.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.(I don't particularly rate most of my photos but if anyone ever wishes to use any I would be grateful for an email first - thanks)

Reference: The Buildings of England Herefordshire by Nikolaus Pevsner and Alan Brooks (Yale University Press)


9 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

It's all quintessentially English country parish! Very pretty, but interesting art or not I think best to avoid on a Bank Holiday. The stained glass is beautiful. So sorry about neighbours, and agree you can't take your eye off the ball or scaffolding will be up before you know it.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

That is a beautiful village and lovely church, You have my sympathies over the building work but you stick up for your rights, if the worst come to it you can always threaten them with a solicitor. When we had an extension done ten years ago we were lucky the neighbours did not have a problem apart from when the builders put concrete in the footings. I was at work at the time and when I came home my wife told me they had used a concrete pump which I know the would as we said it was Ok up the drive. Trouble is they went to the road next door and the arm went right over next doors house and the concrete pumped over. The guys wife looked out horrified and took a phot (never saw it) and later he came around and had a go at my wife. When I got hoe I went around with a couple of bottles of wine and told him it was nothing to do with us it was the builders who decided and went ahead with out asking he backtracked a bit in surprise at me. I told them to apologise but I could not say if they did. The neighbour was a right arrogant arse**** and we were lucky the moved a few years later. Good riddance. You stick with it and

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I think most public places to be avoided on a bank holiday!! I can't tell you how much I wish we had got our act together and moved even if somewhere short term while we look for something we really want! If we try and get out now rebuilding work will devalue and make our house harder to sell.

Billy Blue Eyes - Thank you so much. Yes we shall be sticking up for our rights. We weren't told work happening had to ask, no idea who builders are or even if have insurance. OH has asked for Party Wall Agreement - may not be easy as they have already started work! Whole thing a nightmare. Should have got out while we could!

Rosie said...

I'm so sorry that you are having such trouble with the building work next door. Like you I wouldn't want to go away from the house just in case they tried to access your side of the house or garden. It's a shame that you can't just go to the caravan whilst the work is being done but you have to protect your property. The church looks interesting and how wonderful to have a labyrinth in the church yard. I've seen one inside Wakefield Cathedral just inside the main doors. The loo in the vestry made me smile as the book I am reading at the moment starts with the reaction of the congregation of the church to the vicar's announcement that he want to put a loo in the church. Have a good weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. We we knew it was going to happen and really should have got our act together and got out. Other worry as well as them accessing without permission is that their roof will come off for months as they extend and do loft room etc which will expose ours at the party wall and we need to make sure they cover it with protective sheeting.

I find labyrinths quite fascinating - I have seen a photo now of one at Dilwyn and it is cut into the grass at back of church. We must have got close to seeing it!

lol! re the book you are reading! There was actually a notice in the village saying where the loos were! I know when I visited a local church yesterday afternoon I wish I could have found one there! I drink too much tea!!! Then go out - not a good idea!

Have a good weekend too.

Caroline Gill said...

Oh, RR, I'm so sorry you are having such hassle at present, and without the caravan bolt-hole this w/e. Lovely photos as ever. I always love to see what kneelers can be found in churches; some of the needlework is so exquisite. And talking of fabric, I love that parrot/macaw. S/he has really made me smile! I hope you (and Timothy) can find something interesting to do this w/e to take your mind off the current scaffolding situation. We watched two of Iolo Williams' programmes on Anglesey last night ... and I thought of you. It's far too long since I was there, exploring Holyhead Island and Penmon etc.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much Caroline. It has got even worse today 100 times worse tbh - really at end of my tether. I daren't say any more on line in case this ends up in court. But As he had not given us two months notice via a Party Wall Agreement it is possible to take out an injuction to stop him working until it is sorted. Also the plans he turned up with today are substantially different from those he got planning permission for. Spent all pm discussing with family best way forward!!!! Also hardly sleeping which is not helping!!!

I saw some super kneelers in a local church last week. Really lovely. I have watched some of those Iolo Angelsey programmes one left to see - they are superb and have given me ideas of places to visit if / when we return!

CherryPie said...

This looks like a lovely place for a walk.

The church looks wonderful.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you