Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 11 June 2022

Reading, Dragonfly, Knitting and Back to Herefordshire Part 1: Jubilee Afternoon Tea Pary

 


Recent Reading


The "Guilty Ones" is book 4 in the Jackman and Evans series and it was brilliant and totally gripping. 



This Shire book was excellent and a great read if, like me, you want to know more about timber framed buildings. I got the idea of visiting Leigh Court Barn from this book. Ideally I would prefer to have the "proper" book and if I see it anywhere I will buy it.





I think it was Caroline from the "Wild and Wonderful" blog who recommended this book and I think Rosie from "Corners of my Mind" has read it too.  The author was awarded for this book The Women's Prize for fiction 2020.  The book was inspired by Shakespeare's son Hamnet who gave his name to one of the playwright's plays. I found it poignant as Hamnet's twin sister goes down with the plague and Hamnet catches the disease too.  I won't reveal any more but it is a good book.



I re-read Miss Read's books at bedtime when I am struggling to get a decent night's sleep. There is something quite comforting about them.




The next in the Mitchell and Markby series. I enjoy these books - set in the Cotswolds and the plots have lots of twists and turns.





I tend to knit if I watch tv and to be honest had got fed up with knitting hats and scarves - there are only so many you can wear and of course you have to store them!!!  Years ago I used to make simple jumpers but I am ashamed to say I used to get my mother to finish the neck if you had to pick up stitches and to sew them up.  Mom is no longer with us and for 10 years before she died she had alzheimer's and her eyesight was poor so sewing up my jumpers was not an option.  Early this year I decided to have a go at a simple jumper even though I had to pick up the dreaded stitches. It took me over 3 months and here's the result which I am quite pleased with.



Garden Dragonflies

A Broad-bodied Chaser which is a garden "tick". A female I think.







Herefordshire

E's on holiday from work this week and wanted to visit the caravan for a few days and as there was a Jubilee Afternoon Tea Party at the site on Saturday afternoon we travelled Friday evening picking her up from work on the way and arriving just before 8.00.

On Saturday morning B and D fetched a Morrison's Click and Collect from Leominster and stopped off in the town centre. I wasn't with them so the photos are D's.



*D


*D


*D


*D

The caravan site used to have a yearly Summer barbecue which we have never been to as no events have been held due to the pandemic so the Jubilee Afternoon Tea party was the first event in several years.  To be honest I was quite nervous especially as I haven't mixed socially with people since 2019!

People were asked to bring cakes or savouries so I bought some mini Afternoon Tea cakes and made a ginger traybake (like parkin). Emily in the week made a Strawberry and Lemonade Cake (a recipe in BBC Good Food Magazine) which we froze and then she decorated it on the Saturday morning.






There was a prize for the most patriotic caravan (we didn't win!) but B and D put some bunting and flags up on the Friday night.  To be honest I would not call any of us royalists by any stretch of the imagination but I think the Queen is to be admired for her unstinting years of loyalty and duty.



The cakes we took - note we had already eaten a lot of the gingerbread!



*D

The party took place in the walled garden, lasted for 3 hours, and the time went quick. The site owners had done a super job organising it all and there was a table tennis table where B and I played several games and a royal quiz.  There was a lot of food. To be honest we didn't mingle much as most people were sat in groups with friends and family which for me was a relief especially as I don't hear that well these days.


*D

*D

I want one of these postboxes!!!!!


*D

Before we leave the Jubilee a couple of photos of a postbox I saw in Solihull a few weeks ago with a crocheted topper.





Final photo - the Herefordshire Oak





On Sunday D and I went to Bromyard to see the Scarecrow Festival but I will leave that until the next post.

Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Bridge Lumix FZ330 bridge camera and photos marked *D taken by D with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera.  (if anyone wishes to use any of  my photos or my son's I would be grateful if you could email me first - thanks)


9 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

peek a boo! You look full of mischief. Emily's cake looked the star of the show. Leominster looks a lot like Haverfordwest used to. Your jumper is utterly gorgeous, you are very clever indeed. Treasure is asking if Timothy has one from the leftover yarn?

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin. Thanks so much Deborah :) lol! Think it may have been the result of a glass or two of Prosecco! :) To be honest without meaning to sound big headed! I was really pleased with the jumper. Had to stitch a few holes in the neck where I picked up stitches - lol!!! but you can't see them :) As I have some more wool (different colour same yarn) will make another one and make body length and sleeves a bit shorter. Oh please tell Treasure - thank you from Timothy a brilliant idea. I will knit him one. Making myself a scarf with remaining wool but should have enough for Timothy :)

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Does not look like you use a Kindle as the books are in colour, mine just show B&W. I've not been around Leominster though I have stopped off at Morrisons a few times for petrol and picking up food before going on to our caravan at Fforest Field. I see you have a static which was not something I fancied but then I suppose it depends on what site you are on. I still leave mine on a seasonal pitch and get them to store it over winter. Have you been in Leominster Church, it's one I really would like to visit

Bovey Belle said...

What a beautiful jumper. Onwards and upwards now - jumpers are more useful than a cupboard full of scarves and hats!

Glad you joined in the celebration at the Caravan site and good to see a photo of you. Emily's cake looks amazing and you can't beat Parkin for gingery goodness.

I have now discovered C E Kempe's stained glass so will be checking the nearest pieces out - in Builth and Newbridge-on-Wye! I think he's one of your favourites isn't he?

Ragged Robin said...

BillyBlue Eyes - Thanks so much. It is a Kindle but a KindleFire. Its almost 10 years old! It is great with fiction but I prefer real books for non-fiction but the many bookcases are full hence buying some on the kindle as I've been told I can't have any more! Bypassing Leominster it doesn't look much but the town centre is lovely with some nice independent shops, a market place, some good old buildings and a lovely little green and a place called The Grange with amazing wood carvings - once the Market Hall before it moved location.

I never fancied being on a caravan site tbh surrounded by people but buying one just came to me and the site is lovely. Only about 50 caravans well spaced out and placed in "compartments". Its quite roomy inside with two bedrooms and a pull out bed in lounge. The site is family run and has meadows and a pool and a walled garden and lovely views. We had our caravan moved to a vacant plot on a small row of five at one end of the site. There is a caravan to one side (now occupied was empty for yonks which suited me!) but no caravans to rear or front or the other side.

A couple of brief visits to Leominster Priory (it is impressive!) but only went inside for about 10/15 minutes as OH bored! I need to go back. If you look at "My Labels" list it should be there under Leominster Priory. You may have to go back a post or two to see a bit of the interior.

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. I think its the colours of the yarn that make the jumper :) Haven't worn it yet as not been cold enough since I finished it.
Emily is good at cakes but we all helped with the decoration - I made the candied peel and syrup, David did the strawberries and OH smoothed the icing. Yes parkin is gorgeous. Emily doesn't like ginger so I don't make it too much but I have rest of jar of stemmed ginger to use up so I may make several more in next month.
Kempe is good - some Victorian glass I like, some I loathe!!! Karl Parsons (I think) is is one of my favourites) and I like Burne-Jones too. My favourite stained glass windows though are modern and by Tom Denny - they are just sublimely beautiful. I do love medieval glass though even fragments of it! Some Victorian glass just leaves me cold if I am honest and some of the stuff is vile. But that is just my opinion of course :) Other modern glass I like is by Whitford and Yoxall. Two ladies who trained at Birmingham College of ARt.

Rosie said...

Lots of lovely things in your post. The jumper looks wonderful, so cosy and warm, my Mum used to help me sew up and finish off too, I haven't knitted anything for years, I remember my grandma teaching me but we also all had to knit a scarf at junior school. Emily's cake looks very tasty I'm glad you enjoyed the party. I enjoyed Hamnet, I think I read somewhere that it is being made into either a film or tv series. Glad you are enjoying the Jackman and Evans books by Joy Ellis as well as the Nikki Galena ones. I've just read the latest Joanna Piercy book by Priscilla Masters, I know you enjoy those books too. Glad you were able to have a few more days away at your caravan:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I don't remember learning knitting at school my mum taught me. We did have to make an apron in Home Economics but I hated sewing and still do! A boyfriend's mother taught me years ago to crochet a blanket but I can't do it any more apart from make a chain! Unless I am knitting tiny toys or on a complicated bit I only tend to knit when watching tv. Hamnet was different to what I expected but it vas very well written. I hope they do make a film or tv series.

I am very grateful to you Rosie for introducing me to so many new authors. I did read a Joanna Piercy book recently - not sure if it is the latest one though something to check! The new Merrily pre-ordered came through on my kindle the other day which I havejust started. It was £4.89 - very good for a new book!

CherryPie said...

The jubilee party looks fun and your cakes looks delicious.

I like your knitted creating, I am sure you will look lovely wearing it.

I loved seeing on the jubilee post box toppers :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thanks so much.