Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 22 October 2021

Weekend in Herefordshire

 

Last weekend E had a rare two days off work so on Friday evening we went to Herefordshire arriving about 9.00 p.m.

To be honest we didn't go out much although the weather was lovely but on Saturday we walked along a local gated road.

St Leonard's Church, Hatfield.





Ivy flowers galore






You get some lovely old barns in Herefordshire.
























We saw about 3 jays on the walk - no doubt collecting acorns.

This shed could do with some tender loving care!















This Red Admiral was sunbathing near some ivy flowers. I wonder if this will be the last of the butterfly sightings for 2021?








Back in Hatfield The Old School House







The tree I watch from the caravan throughout the seasons.



Views to the rear, front and side of the caravan.









There are lots of hawthorn berries in the hedges nearby and on Saturday I saw a huge flock of dozens of Redwings fly over - my first sighting this autumn.







I don't watch much tv but when I do I like to do simple knitting - either squares for a blanket from wool oddments or a scarf. I finally had enough scares to sew up this blanket which I've left in Herefordshire for now. Timothy likes it as you can see :)





I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.











13 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Nice to have a change of scenery, even if short. Timothy looks happy indeed. I love Redwings, but we don't see them that often.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkins - Thank so much. Yes a break was good and Timothy always happy to go :) Probably further for Redwings to travel to you :( What a shame I do love them and Fieldfares.

Rosie said...

Lovely to go back to Herefordshire for a few days. Your walk looks interesting, great to see the jays and the redwings. The blanket looks cosy and it looks like it has the bear seal of approval:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It was a nice little break - realised after it was the first jays I had spotted in Herefordshire. Yes Timothy loves the blanket :)

Caroline Gill said...

So glad you have enjoyed a little break. Timothy looks wonderfully rested in 'his' smart blanket! Clever you, seeing these early Redwings, too.

The Quacks of Life said...

looks a nice stroll.

I saw a Red Admiral Saturday (I saw a few last week but all camera shy) every day I wonder if it will be the last!

and I am still waiting for timothy to appear on twitter ;)

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. It is always good to escape there although a pity it wasn't for longer! I was chuffed with Redwings :)

The Quacks of Life - Thanks so much. OH saw a couple more RA's the next day when taking rubbish to the bins at the caravan site.

I hope he will appear one day but atm he is still not going out and about much so not much to tweet about!

Pam said...

It's so lovely there, i'm quite jealous! I think the shed may be beyond even TLC now :D

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you and yes we are fortunate. I've loved Herefordshire since a child - so very rural but also market towns and pretty villages and churches :) I agree about the shed probably on last "legs"!!! :)

CherryPie said...

The walk looks lovely :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you :)

Millymollymandy said...

The blanket is lovely - love the blasts of bright colour here and there! You still have (or had) plenty of colour and interest as far as plants go, I know the trees will last longer. Always great to see a late butterfly - the last two I have seen here have been Red Admirals too. Weather is so foul I am not going outside very often!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy. Thanks so much. Pleased with blanket second I have made - the first son has on his bed in the winter. Not so bad knitting as I do it as watch tv but time consuming to sew up!!! Weather yukky here atm - cloudy and dismal not weather really to go anywhere!