Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 18 July 2021

A Local Walk and Flowers from the Garden

 

Last weekend D and I went a local walk along public footpaths at Southfields Farm Coleshill.  We visited the farm for an open day a few years ago and it was a very wildlife friendly farm.









By the farm buildings there was what looked like a "community farm"? and there are also several fields with horses.





We followed a different footpath to last time so sadly missed the wildflower meadow.


















Lots of lovely grasses - I really must learn to identify some.











There is a circular walk you can do - I checked the route when we got home and it is about five miles - a walk to consider when we have more time.






Next four photos taken by D.

This is a new insect trapper and it really is very good. You open the soft base and place it over the insect and slowly close the base.  We caught a Swollen-thighed beetle and what I think may be a species of Capsid bug. 







It was encouraging to see more bees and butterflies about. Butterfly species included several Small Tortoiseshell and Meadow Brown.


Flowers in the Garden




I have forgotten what this flower is though I suspect someone has told me in the past.  One forms a creeping mat and the other is a large shrub. I am assuming they are the same species. But oddly there is another similar one in the herbaceous border which I forgot to take a picture of.












Another mystery plant bought years ago!




St John's Wort in the wild flower mini meadow and scabious is flowering now too.




Bistort




I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

We are in Herefordshire at the moment. To be honest it has been too hot to do much but I will do a few posts next week.


Photos by D with the Canon Sx50HS

Those by me taken with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330.








9 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I think the yellow flower is Hypericum Calycinum, commonly called Rose of Sharon. The valley below me is known locally as Vale of Roses, and it is not widely known that it may be named after the Sharon Rose rather than wild roses. Of course, highly unlikely to prove or disprove now. Such a lovely place you've found, and something to go back to again to find that meadow!

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely walk. Always good to have a flattish one. Hah - the Limestone reserve I want to go to says, in the directions, climb uphill for half a mile . . .

Your bug trap looks fun. Great to identify new insects.

Roger Phillips' book on Grasses is a good one to have. If I hadn't given mine away to the charity shop before we moved, I could have let you have it.

Your pink shrub looks like Spirea - I have one on the Bank here. The yellow one with lots of anthers - Rose of Sharon? The more orangey one above it looks like a Day Lily.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin Thanks so much. Name of shrub has come back to me now you mention it!!! :) Lovely flower and bees love it! Its good to find somewhere close where easy to park and where no people!! My mile circular route at Shawbury has become difficult as I have parked on grass verge before now but got told off once by a fire engine crew and once by a woman who said a combine harvester couldn't get past!!! Even though I was yards off the lane!

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Yes I went off a walk yesterday in Herefordshire in a wood when it mentioned first 400 metres up a hill! Too hot and asthma playing up with humidity :(

Insect trap great and useful for catching wasps in house and releasing and no doubt spiders too. I don't mind the latter but rest of family hate them!

Thanks for recommendation on Grass id book will do some research.

Yes Rustic Pumpkin has mentioned Rose of Sharon too. Sure you are right about Spirea as we have several varieties bought cheaply when we first got married and had little money! Yes orange lily is a Day Lily I think. Have some in yellow too :)

Rosie said...

Lovely walk, the grasses have been wonderful this year and like you I'd love to be able to identfy more of them, Paul knows some of them from his biology field study days with his students but since retirementhe has forgotten lots of them. Our Rose of Sharon is full of flowers this year and the Hypericum is doing well too. Not sleeping well in this heat, I was in the garden at 5a.m. this morning just me and a male blackbird. I hope you are enjoying your stay in Herefordshire:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. Good to find somwewhere to walk locally that was in the countryside and lacking crowds!

I think some of my wild flower id books have sections on grass. Amanda from The Quiet Walker suggested cutting one of each and sticking them in a book to help with id.

Thats the other plant thank you - Hypericum!!! Sure someone helped me last time with id.

Not sleeping well here either. Back home now in case son needs lifts this week to avoid public transport and it is far more humid :(

Millymollymandy said...

Nice to have a farm which is encouraging of visitors and also allowing the circular walk so that you don't have to do the really long loop back through the village. Your garden flowers are lovely - I recognised the flower you were asking about but couldn't remember what it was called either! :-) Love your new bear from the previous post!!

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much. Very impressed with all the wildlife friendly measures taken at the farm. I've googled the flower now - think I have asked before will have to make note diary so I don't forget!!! Glad you like the new bear :)

Pam said...

It looks like a good walk and worth a trip to do the 5 mile walk too! I'm loving all the yellow in your garden :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks :) Live close to Coleshill so not far to go. Won't be doing 5 mile walk in this heat though - lol! :) In fact 5 miles whatever the weather about my limit these days. Also in yellow - Cat's Ear, Common Trefoil, Ragwort and honeysuckle :) Probably more but I forget!