Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 9 June 2021

Herefordshire - Part 5: Friday 28th May - Yarpole Village

 

Following my visit to the church we did have a quick walk around part of Yarpole before we left.


There are some good timber framed houses and Vicarage Farm is 16th and 17th century.













Tudor House has a 17th century end gable and 18th century south gable.





Oldfield





The hedgerows were full hawthorn, cow parsley, alkanet and buttercups.  The macro function on my camera seems to be playing up unfortunately.  I've always found it a bit "hit and miss" but it seems worse than ever unless I am doing something wrong!!








Two storey gatehouse to the 15th century Manor House


























Plants in walls along the stream.





Wesleyan Methodist Chapel 1891.










There is also a Pub called The Bell which sounds worth a visit :)


B put some of the marigolds bought from the church round the base of the bay tree.




Timothy ready for the journey home.




We left mid evening and the traffic was fine going our way (although not going in opposite direction to south west!) although the M42 was congested due to a broken down vehicle.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


9 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What a charming village. I love to see the plants growing in the walls. Timothy looks comfy enough for travelling. I've been having focusing issues on macro settings. No idea why, but it beeps to say it's in focus then turns red right upon shooting and the image is out of focus. Sometimes I have to stand back and zoom in, other times I have to retract the lens and move physically closer to the subject. It's a mystery.

Rosie said...

Beautiful old houses, looks like a lovely village. I wondered if you would plant some of the flowers you bought at the church at your caravan or take them home:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. Herefordshire seems blessed with some beautiful villages! :) Timothy you will be pleased to know now has on new t-shirt - too hot for jumper! Strange you are having macro problems too! have always found mine hit and miss - try both the zoom macro and the standard macro but both iffy! I do have a camera guide to Panasonic so will see if that has section on macro. Just have to take loads of shots and hope one in focus atm!

Rosie - Thanks so much and yes it is lovely. I see places like that and wonder why we live where we do at times! All plants planted there - some round bay tree, some in another pot and some in "garden". Hope they survive erratic watering though!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

just to add, my camera is also Panasonic. Coincidence?

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - That is interesting. Another blogger has a Panasonic which had gone wonky recently - can't remember now if it was the macro function or on all pictures. Amanda - if you see this can you please let us know what was playing up on yours? Thanks so much.

Deb - before I forget will look at that camera guide I have and see if it recommends settings on macro function e.g. apeture etc. Its not just the mini guide that came with camera but a book I got from Amazon. Perhaps I should be on automatic and not the usual aperture priority I use when I switch on macro functions? - Never thought of that before!!!!

CherryPie said...

This village looks so interesting with lots of historical buildings to see.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie Thanks so much.

Millymollymandy said...

They are lovely photos despite the macro problem. I too have a Panasonic Lumix, the DMC-FZ1000, but the macro function is absolutely rubbish. There appear to be two macro functions but I don't understand the difference, as they don't seem to make a difference. The photos taken in the macro mode come out really weird, so I prefer to just take close ups with the regular function (rest of camera works really well) and use my Canon SX50 for macros.

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much especially for re-assurance you have problems with that camera too! Yes mine has two macro functions - a standard one where you need to get the lens close to the object and a zoom one where you can zoom in although it often goes out of focus as you do so. Always found it hit and miss but seems even worse! I too have taken to using without macro function and then crop! Agreed our Canon SX50 is much better for macros and also I think for bird pics when you have to zoom in!