Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 11 May 2021

Back to Herefordshire - Part 4: St Michael and All Angels, Near Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire

 

After leaving St Andrew's, Leysters, I planned to drive back via a different route so that I could visit another church - St Michael and All Angels, near Tenbury Wells.  (In actual fact as I discovered it was on the same road as Oldwoods Common visited the day before and only a few minutes drive away).  


St Michael's is an Anglican church built around 1856 - 58 and is listed today as Grade II.  It was constructed by Woodyer for the Reverend Sir Frederick Gore Ouseley and was built as part of St Michael's College, a choir school founded by the same Reverend. The college played an important role in the development of church music in the 19th century.  It looks a very prestigious school today too!!!

Woodyer based the design on a 14th century French cathedral.

The information I have is limited as I don't have the latest Pevsner for Worcestershire as I can't justify the cost! although I have since bought the earlier version second hand which is much cheaper but sadly nowhere near as comprehensive.

I must admit that, although the church is very impressive, my interest really lies in Norman or Medieval country churches and I much preferred St Andrew's, Leysters!













The churchyard was again full of primroses and violets - it took me back to my childhood when we visited this area a lot and the hedgerows were always full of spring wild flowers.





The church was closed although I think it is open one morning a week for a few hours but for private prayer only.  Hopefully, more churches will be open for sightseers and church crawlers after 17th May.















I do like Rose windows even from the exterior!





























The porch did contain 2 stained glass windows so I was able to get a few photos.   The first window featured Saints Michael, Raphael, Gabriel and Oriel.































To be honest I did not linger long as I had uneasily parked in a little car park within the church entrance right by and overlooked by the college. All the college gates were closed with big signs "Police Dog training" and I had visions of cctv cameras filming my every move! I did feel rather uneasy!  I will though go back one day should the church open to the general public.

We left the caravan the following day as we had to get back for our second vaccine doses on Thursday. Again I had no reaction thank goodness and neither did B this time. I gather there may be a booster in the autumn!

Once the weather picks up a bit we will return all being well to Herefordshire.


Back at home the ten Blue Tit eggs are starting to hatch and we have over 6 chicks!  I will do a post on the garden and reading later this week.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.







14 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What splendid stained glass of the four archangels and four saints. Simply stunning. Now, I don't know much about the Window Tax, which I believe was repealed circa 1926, but is that why there are only two windows on that one wall? It looks as if there should be a row, or is there another reason? Glad to hear about your vaccines. Yes, I think it will now be an annual top up, along with the flu one.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks it was good. Although you can't tell windows on two walls of porch facing each other. I would imagine there is some good stained glass in the church. Thanks re: vaccine - glad to get it out of way tbh - busier this time and a slight queue. Hoping now son and daughter get their's soon - they have a choice I believe and will probably go for Pfizer one due to clots AZ.

Bovey Belle said...

I'm looking forward to churches opening again. There are some Friends of Friendless Churches I would like to see now we're up in mid-Wales, plus some others we pass when we are out and about and - I hate to confess - even Brecon Cathedral! HOW long have we lived in Wales and HOW many times have we visited Brecon?

The stained glass promises much on the church interior. Wait till you can go and explore Hereford Cathedral (or perhaps you have been in the past?)

Bovey Belle said...

Our son has had his jab now (he's 30 and was given the Pfizer) and next up daughter gets hers tomorrow - I presume she'll have the same.)
Tam had the AZ as they hadn't decided to go down the "other" route when she had hers a month ago.

Rosie said...

It does look an impressive church and the windows are lovely but like you I prefer older churches. The simpler and more 'rustic' the better, you can feel the history in the walls. Glad you got your second jabs, we've had ours too. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Hoping more will open soon. I have to confess have had just one brief visit to Lichfield, Birmingham I visited onl about 4 years ago and Coventry I revisited a couple of years ago! Lichfield and Coventry need follow up visits as time limited!

Yes have been to Hereford Cathedral but briefish visit as I stupidly parked where time was limited as I was panicking! Spent a lot of time on Mappa Mundi - reason for visit for son.

David is 34 and Emily 31 but OH mentioned he had heard over 30's England may not get to end of July due perhaps to (being kept quiet) vaccine shortages???? Son has to start going to meetings again soon and back in office one day a week and daughter now back at work so I would feel happier if they had been "jabbed"!!! Daughter has own car but son reliant on public transport unless I drive him everywhere :(

Rosie - Thank you . So agree about churches. As you say the history just seeps from the walls and there are always so many interesting old "features". Hope you felt ok after 2nd jab. Take care :)

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, RR, so much for your kind comments on my blog. I am so glad you are able to revisit Herefordshire again. I never saw any bluebells last year or primroses, and while I have had the joy of seeing bluebells in 2021, I have still to see a primrose so your photo brought a smile to my face. What beautiful Violets, too. We had some in the garden but they disappeared almost as quickly as they came. I hope it will get warmer soon to bring out more butterflies.

CherryPie said...

It looks lovely. I can't wait until the churches are open again so that we can enjoy the interiors.

I know what you mean about parking. I find it stressful parking in places where there is no car park or limited parking available. If I can't park in a way that makes me comfortable it puts me on edge and stops my full enjoyment of the place I am visiting.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you so much. Same here last year sadly apart from what I saw in the garden. We haven't been to one of our favourite bluebell woods either this year but there are plenty on verges and in churchyards and the garden to enjoy. Primroses must be one of my favourite flowers. I have a small original oil painting of some which I love. We do have violets scattered round the garden.

Cherry Pie - Thanks so much. I do miss visiting church interiors. Yes parking can be a pain - I do tend to worry about finding carparks etc when I am on my own or just with my son and at new towns, villages or churches!

Amanda Peters said...

Great looking church, hope you get to go back soon. Lovely photos.
Amanda xx

Millymollymandy said...

I'm getting a bit confused as to where I got to last time I read your blog, so I have commented on a post from last month! I'm not so keen on churches as you know, but I do love the doors and windows and many decorative features. You can't beat the wildflowers either in the churchyard!

Glad you had your 2nd jab, we have too. Strangely we both felt a little out of sorts with our 2nd jab, which we didn't have with the first! My brother told me everyone he spoke to in his village who had had the AstraZeneca jab had all had bad reactions to their first jab!

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks Amanda - so lovely to see wild flowers in churchyards :)

Millymollymandy - Thanks - don't worry! some of the Herefordshire church posts are probably a bit similar! As you say you can't beat those wild flowers when churhyards not manicured

We felt same second jab - hurt when it was done and same night then ok. First I didn't even know I had had it although that ached more after for a few days! I was ok after AZ first jab but OH wasn't but his symptoms could have been a bad migraine so who knows. I think reactions may be played down because many people seem to suffer at least a bit!

Pam said...

Good to hear your vaccine was free of side effects :) It's a lovely looking church and always good to see some 'wild' in the grounds. Fingers crossed the Blue Tits do well!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam thanks so much. I was fortunate really as so many do seem to have a side effect for a day or so. Down to 5 Blue Tit chicks now from 8 :( Looks like another bad year for caterpillars:) Blackbirds meanwhile in and out of nest clematis with beakfuls of worms :)